CU/NU Returning Starters

That can't be right, BC has a better record against them and everyone knows he doesn't have a clue what he is doing. If only we could get Frank back then we could go 9-3 every year and lose those three by 21 a piece, at least we wouldn't ever have to endure anything "real" bad and we could live in mediocrity instead of trying to build for success. :sarcasm

What was Frank S. record vs K state?
that would be a grand ol' record of 2-4 for the Frank Solich coached Huskers against the Wildcats

That can't be right, BC has a better record against them and everyone knows he doesn't have a clue what he is doing. If only we could get Frank back then we could go 9-3 every year and lose those three by 21 a piece, at least we wouldn't ever have to endure anything "real" bad and we could live in mediocrity instead of trying to build for success. 

wow 30% win rate for frank and 50% for bill

pass the pipe former

Funny how you guys conveniently forget how KState was winning Big 12 titles and playing in BCS games while FS was head coach. Im sure that those KSt teams werent nearly as good as the stellar 4-7 bottom dwellar that NU got beat by last year, or this years 5-6 (??) KSt team.

BTW, what was FSs overall record, oh yeah 58-19, thats a 75% winning percentage. But that pales in comparison to the stellar 11-10 record that billy c has put up.

And look at all the bowl games that billy c has coached in and won and his Big 12 title......OOOOOPS!!!!!!!! ;)

Maybe because they are a CU/KSt/ISU/Mizzou fan posing as an NU fans, who enjoys beating NU like they never did before billy c arriving in Lincoln??

Solich never lost to any of these teams did he? :wacko:

Funny how you guys conveniently forget how KState was winning Big 12 titles and playing in BCS games while FS was head coach.

K-State only won one Big 12 title during Solich years at Nebraska and only played in one BCS bowl as well.

Maybe because they are a CU/KSt/ISU/Mizzou fan posing as an NU fans, who enjoys beating NU like they never did before billy c arriving in Lincoln??

Solich never lost to any of these teams did he? :wacko:

Never said that, did I?? To the best of my recolection (correct me if Im wrong), under FS, NU was 4-2 v CU, 5-1 v ISU, 5-1 v Mizzou, 6-0 v KU. billy c's record v those same opponents 3-4.

Funny how you guys conveniently forget how KState was winning Big 12 titles and playing in BCS games while FS was head coach.

K-State only won one Big 12 title during Solich years at Nebraska and only played in one BCS bowl as well.

My bad, their 1st Fiesta Bowl was in 97. But they were playing in other very good bowl games like the Cotton Bowl and the Holiday Bowl. They also either shared or won the North in 98,99,00,03.

Point being, they were a top 10 program during most of the Solich years. They are like 9-13 since, not exactly the same caliber of team.

every team goes through some turmoil. even your savior frankie went 7&7. before you get your panties in a twist Formerfan, yes he did go 10-3, i will give him credit for the Alamo Bowl win. but you can not honestly say that if frankie had not been fired that NU would have done any better the last 2 years then calli has done.

the running game last year was average at best, and this years running game is horrible.

well i take that back, if dailey was the qb then the running game might be better because he would tuck it up and run. but the passing game would really suck.......remember int to td ratio almost 2-1

anyway one question i have for you Former......who would be the head coach if you were the AD?

please let us know

husker rob:

I agree with your conclusion of the last 5 years. CU's Barnett took over that team and established the WCO in '99. Regardless of the qua;lty of recruits (Klatt was a walk-on), time/experience in the system is why the point spread yesterday was 14 1/2. This year 5 true frosh and 29 true frosh, redshirts and sophomores have contributed. Why? Because the carryover players were not capable.

Those who demand instant success haven't examined other programs. South Carolina has been ding well this season. What type of system had they been running in the last 3 years?

every team goes through some turmoil.  even your savior frankie went 7&7.  before you get your panties in a twist Formerfan, yes he did go 10-3, i will give him credit for the Alamo Bowl win.  but you can not honestly say that if frankie had not been fired that NU would have done any better the last 2 years then calli has done.

the running game last year was average at best, and this years running game is horrible.

well i take that back, if dailey was the qb then the running game might be better because he would tuck it up and run.  but the passing game would really suck.......remember int to td ratio  almost 2-1

anyway one question i have for you Former......who would be the head coach if you were the AD?

please let us know

Sure Frank went 7-7 one year. Then he adjusted, he brought in a new coaching staff with a new offensive and defensive coordinator. He learned from his mistakes, and I believe the new staff should have been given time to show what they could do.

I DO think they would have done better with these past two teams. Last year's defensive staff screwed up horribly, and despite some strides this year (for instance, they gave up trying to force the CB's to always play man-to-man.. Gee, would have been helpful last year), the defensive has regressed as well. The offense insists on putting in every possible formation (and on showing it on each play with multiple players going in motion) leading to lots of stupid mistakes.

Norvell, (a rookie OC) has made few adjustments from the base system and hasn't a clue how to get a running game going. Almost any coach with some idea of flexibility would have tightened the OL splits, dropped the back a 1/2 step and changed the blocking schemes to get the running game going, but not this OC.

For your last question, I hope that we could get a "name" coach to come back to help right the program, but the key would be the staff underneath them. If we could get Monte Kiffin to come back and run the program, I'd be happy. I'd be much, much more happy if we could convince Barney Cotton to come back as the OC and "head-coach-in waiting". Marvin Sanders would be great on the defensive side as DC in waiting.

The problem we have is that I disagree strenuously with your statement that Frank and his staff wouldn't have done better with this team. We, quite possibly, faced the easiest schedule that NU will ever face this year and did so in an incredibly uninspiring way.

Smaller line splits make it more difficult to run, just for your information. To difficult to get angles and create seems inside the tackles.

It depends - it is true in some cases. However, I did a longer analysis of this OL on one of the other boards. The gist of what I was saying was that the players on this line have little footspeed and don't work well in space. The biggest problem they have isn't that they can't block when they get into the defender, it's that they don't have the quickness to get into the defender in the first place with the current splits.

Narrow the splits and give them less space to work with - by doing this you minimze the quickness deficit. Back up the back (Ross) and let him pick the hole. If he's too close to the line he can't see the holes. If you tighten the splits you'll also have to move him back some. We don't have the athletes that teams like Denver have on the OL. However, we have a line that has plenty of bulk and interior blocking ability - we just need to adjust to what they can do. Plenty of other teams have done this. Look at some of the older Raider teams to see a primer on how a big, slow OL can be utilized in this way.

Those who demand instant success haven't examined other programs. South Carolina has been ding well this season. What type of system had they been running in the last 3 years?

I would like to know the answer to this. Why was SC so good so fast? The same goes for ND, Penn State and Alabama's big turn around in quick fashion.

I am willing to give our system the benefit of the doubt of being young and trying to gel together as a team should in their first year in playing together.

But seeing what Spurrier has done with SC is phenominal. They have beat teams this year they haven't beat in several decades...and some NEVER!.

What gives? :blink:

Those who demand instant success haven't examined other programs.  South Carolina has been ding well this season.  What type of system had they been running in the last 3 years?

I would like to know the answer to this. Why was SC so good so fast? The same goes for ND, Penn State and Alabama's big turn around in quick fashion.

I am willing to give our system the benefit of the doubt of being young and trying to gel together as a team should in their first year in playing together.

But seeing what Spurrier has done with SC is phenominal. They have beat teams this year they haven't beat in several decades...and some NEVER!.

What gives? :blink:

Well here's my 2 cents worth with Spurrier at SC. He coached at Florida for quite a while. He knows the tendancies of of coaches and teams giving him a definite advantage. He was no schmuck at Florida. He was very successful and knew how to beat those teams while there. He has just simply taken his knowledge to another team and has beaten the teams he did while at Florida.

I don't know about ND other than Weiss is a genious. Look at the Pats last year, and look at them this year. They're not the same team now that he and Crennel (sp) are gone. I'm not saying Behlicheck (sp) can't coach, but he had a great supporting cast. Penn State has done it with some philosophy changes and with freshmen. I don't know what Alabama has done.

In the college ranks, I don't think you can even begin to compare Spurrier with BC. Spurrier has proven success, BC doesn't. It may be a different story depending on how you want to look at it in the Pros, but this is college ball. Charlie Weiss is just a good coach, no doubt about it. I'm guessing that in 5 or 10 years down the road, he'll have great success as the head man. I believe it will be laughable to even try to compare Weiss to BC. Good college coaches don't always make good pro coaches (Spurrier). Good pro coaches don't always make good college coaches. BC really has no proven track record. Spurrier, Weiss, and Joe Pa all have a good track record in some aspect or another. Some guys have it, and some don't. We quite possibly have one that doesn't have it!

a couple of replies

1. with the way this line has blocked this year, if you give the back the ball another yard deeper would mean (9 times out of 10) another yard loss in the backfield.

2. how would have frank have done if he came into this program with the WCO in place and WCO players and then try to run an option based offense. that is what i meant when i said that he would not have done any better.

3. ND, Penn ST, SC, and Alabama have become good quick because ND had full cupboards in place for the offense Wiess wanted to run. Penn St. has the same coach that they have had since Jesus himself played college ball and Coach P has not made that drastic of an offensive or defensive philosophy change. SC and Alabama are also running similar offenses from before.

but again it is my opinion

That can't be right, BC has a better record against them and everyone knows he doesn't have a clue what he is doing.  If only we could get Frank back then we could go 9-3 every year and lose those three by 21 a piece, at least we wouldn't ever have to endure anything "real" bad and we could live in mediocrity instead of trying to build for success. :sarcasm

:wtfFrank bashing.....

dedhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarse

move on people, he doesn't even work here.

dedhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarse