Blackshirts: The Tradition Going Forward....

For obvious reasons, there has been zero mention of the Blackshirts by the media, or the coaches during the early part of the season (even fall camp). The defense has been underwhelming, but the lack of conversation about the Blackshirts is somewhat alarming to me. The current staff obviously doesn't share the same "love" for the Blackshirt tradition that the Osborne/Solich staffs did, or that we as the fans do. If our defense remains ineffective in the years to come, I could see the tradition phasing out in some form within the program, because of the lack of attention that it receives from the current staff, and players.

Simply, the tradition doesn't mean the same to those within the program, as it does to the fanbase, and maybe the players in the past. It will be something interesting to watch going forward with this current administration over the years.

Also, it can't be understated what the Blackshirt tradition can mean for the program from a marketing standpoint (Marketing major here). The Skull & Bones logo gives the program some "Swag", and offers a bad boy image for our defense which can be very attractive to incoming recruits. When dealing with a generation where appearance most definitely matters, it is important to offer something "cool" within your program to enhance the image amongst young kids. The uniforms against Wisky are evidence of this, and the correct marketing of the Blackshirt tradition can be as well. The Skull & Bones logo is badass, and it looks sweet on the new Throwback/Snapback hats!

What do you guys think?

For obvious reasons, there has been zero mention of the Blackshirts by the media, or the coaches during the early part of the season (even fall camp). The defense has been underwhelming, but the lack of conversation about the Blackshirts is somewhat alarming to me. The current staff obviously doesn't share the same "love" for the Blackshirt tradition that the Osborne/Solich staffs did, or that we as the fans do. If our defense remains ineffective in the years to come, I could see the tradition phasing out in some form within the program, because of the lack of attention that it receives from the current staff, and players.

Simply, the tradition doesn't mean the same to those within the program, as it does to the fanbase, and maybe the players in the past. It will be something interesting to watch going forward with this current administration over the years.

Also, it can't be understated what the Blackshirt tradition can mean for the program from a marketing standpoint (Marketing major here). The Skull & Bones logo gives the program some "Swag", and offers a bad boy image for our defense which can be very attractive to incoming recruits. When dealing with a generation where appearance most definitely matters, it is important to offer something "cool" within your program to enhance the image amongst young kids. The uniforms against Wisky are evidence of this, and the correct marketing of the Blackshirt tradition can be as well. The Skull & Bones logo is badass, and it looks sweet on the new Throwback/Snapback hats!

What do you guys think?

Is that you, Stevie P?

Seriously, they do away with the Blackshirts, I'm done with Husker football. It better NEVER happen. You don't get rid of tradition because you don't have the right people to recruit players who make the tradition stand. That's called 'giving up.'

I loved seeing how coach P was jumping around and really showing some fire last weekend. I really think that can funnel down to the players. College football is such and emotional sport, maybe just maybe that little fire can help our defense start showing some improvement week to week and we can get just a whiff of the blackshirt d that we come to expect.

What do you guys think?

Is that you, Stevie P?

Seriously, they do away with the Blackshirts, I'm done with Husker football. It better NEVER happen. You don't get rid of tradition because you don't have the right people to recruit players who make the tradition stand. That's called 'giving up.'

Real original pal....

You've clearly missed the point of the thread....

I may have gotten off track in the beginning of the OP, but I was originally trying to point out the appeal the tradition could have to young kids if we use (or market) the tradition effectively. The tradition could enhance our image, and appeal to talented young athletes.... For instance, I would have loved to have seen the blackshirt logo involved in the Wisky uniforms in some way....

I'll use my own experience....

I know I was working hard in college...study every day and looked for advice from my dad. I wanted to be on the Dean's List....

I have received it twice now......that's what means working it to the bone. I can't imagine to get a blackshirt, that is true determination

No...I didn't miss the point, and maybe the Blackshirt tradition isn't getting a lot of press at the moment because too many defensive players are NOT playing like Blackshirts? You want marketing and a cool factor, I want a defensive player out destroying QB's because of the tradition, not because I want him to do it so people keep buying stuff and recruits like logos. You know what recruits don't like? Defenses that give up 600+ yards. Your intention all great and all, I want good recruits and I buy Blackshirt gear, but the primary takes care of the secondary.

I don't think we can do it just because its a tradition. For instance i don't know how many times I've heard ESPN refer to them as the Black Skirts. So it is something that defenitily needs to be earned. I have always liked that it was announced at the beginning of the year, but I don't think they can do that till they preform better. I would really hate to see us not improve enough for them to be given out because that would be just like doing away with it completly.

No...I didn't miss the point, and maybe the Blackshirt tradition isn't getting a lot of press at the moment because too many defensive players are NOT playing like Blackshirts? You want marketing and a cool factor, I want a defensive player out destroying QB's because of the tradition, not because I want him to do it so people keep buying stuff and recruits like logos. You know what recruits don't like? Defenses that give up 600+ yards. Your intention all great and all, I want good recruits and I buy Blackshirt gear, but the primary takes care of the secondary.

I agree with that point, but you can't underestimate what appearance means to young kids these days, and clearly you are. As a program, we need all the help we can get in trying to land top recruits, and marketing your program (or the blackshirt tradition in this example) is a very important part of that. Thankfully, the university understands this FACT, and they are showing they recognize this trend with kids by introducing the uniforms for the Wisconsin game. Do you think the university would have agreed to those uniforms if there wasn't a damn good reason behind it? No, they understand what appeals to kids these days. If you want "defensive players destroying QB's" then you better know how to get those kind of players here, and you better use every advantage possible to get it done....