Huskers v Sooners coming soon?

They chickened out because we wanted to keep the game every year but they didn't want to have to play us and Texas every year. At the time (mid 90s) we were the most dominant program in the country and they stunk. Texas wasn't a dominant program either so they stuck with Texas and ran away from playing us every year.

And, I understand that Texas was a bigger rival. But, to say OU fans back then didn't think Nebraska was a rival is laughable. The younger crowd of OU fans that don't remember the glory days between the two programs are the ones that are saying...."ehhh...you were never a real rival".

Anyway, the gist of my point is, it's not a rival any more and we need to move on. We are in a conference that has potential to be very good and compete with any other conference in the nation. We have some teams in this conference that are setting up to be very good rivals with us. That is where our focus needs to be and not in the past.

Don't want it. Sorry to say but this game hasn't meant anything on a large scale in over 20 years. Time to let it go. We need to form a new rivalry. Too bad Wisconsin wasn't in our division, think that could have been the one. Penn State could have been if not for the....well you know. Iowa, is it competitive enough? Michigan already has OSU, Michigan State has Michigan. Northwestern and Minnesota, not "big time". Oh well, guess we just have to go beat everyone every year.

They chickened out because we wanted to keep the game every year but they didn't want to have to play us and Texas every year. At the time (mid 90s) we were the most dominant program in the country and they stunk. Texas wasn't a dominant program either so they stuck with Texas and ran away from playing us every year.

If that makes you feel better, sort of the way we ran away from the Big XII to a weak conference because we were chicken and were dominated by both participants in said Red River Shootout. Makes more sense to me now.

If that makes you feel better, sort of the way we ran away from the Big XII to a weak conference because we were chicken and were dominated by both participants in said Red River Shootout. Makes more sense to me now.

Really??? It is a FACT that we wanted to play them every year and they said "no". AND, it is a FACT that we were absolutely dominating them at the time and Texas wasn't that good.

AND, at the time when we decided to jump ship, the Big 10 was much better than they are this year. These two situations are completely different.

Don't want it. Sorry to say but this game hasn't meant anything on a large scale in over 20 years. Time to let it go. We need to form a new rivalry. Too bad Wisconsin wasn't in our division, think that could have been the one. Penn State could have been if not for the....well you know. Iowa, is it competitive enough? Michigan already has OSU, Michigan State has Michigan. Northwestern and Minnesota, not "big time". Oh well, guess we just have to go beat everyone every year.

Northwestern isn't "big time" but Wisconsin is? The tragedy is over the last decade we have become the same "Big time" as Northwestern considering they come to Memorial and beat us. Thankfully that may change if Osborne has no say in who the next AD is and possibly we can start by moving the Student section down on the field where they belong and get all the blue hairs up in the sky boxes. Then if we continue to get embarrassed 4 times a year maybe that issue can be dealt with as well.

Really??? It is a FACT that we wanted to play them every year and they said "no". AND, it is a FACT that we were absolutely dominating them at the time and Texas wasn't that good.

AND, at the time when we decided to jump ship, the Big 10 was much better than they are this year. These two situations are completely different.

It's exactly the same, the Big Ten has never been "that good", my guess is as Husker fans we might try to act like they mattered, after a couple of decades of talking about how weak they were (94 and 97 come to mind)

And yes really, the "Red River shootout" is 10 fold the rivalry that Nebraska vs the Sooners ever was, like I said, Nebraska claimed that rivalry much more than any Sooner fan will, it just wasn't that big of a deal to them. We beat them in the Game of the century, We ended bud Wilkinsons domination in one game after that...........we all know the deal.

we ran away from the Big XII to a weak conference because we were chicken and were dominated by both participants in said Red River Shootout. Makes more sense to me now.

:funnyhahah :funnyhahah :funnyhahah :funnyhahah :funnyhahah :funnyhahah :funnyhahah:funnyhahah :funnyhahah :funnyhahah :funnyhahah :funnyhahah :funnyhahah

We left a favoring division, who would do anything to make sure their "elite" would make it to a BCS bowl game. I am not even going to get into it, but by far, B1G has stiffer opponents in bowl games, as most face SEC teams. Last year the B1G was much more of a tougher conference than the B12. This year, I would say the same. You might have the argument about WV, but they have no defense, haven't played anyone with a strong defense and a potent offense, so they have yet to even be tested yet. Geno Smith is good, and will most likely win Heisman, but with no defense, it will be hard to go undefeated.

Why would you want to pin that one good non conference game down to one team every year? I love it that we play different teams from around the country. We have played some fun series and have more coming up that are not possible if we tie ourselves to one opponent every year.

Nothing beats a rivalry game. I vote that we make Oklahoma our season opener every single year. That would be amazing!

I would be all for this

Nebraska claimed that rivalry much more than any Sooner fan will, it just wasn't that big of a deal to them.

I call complete BS on that, as I know many OU fans, and they were crushed when we were leaving. OU fans even came to public NU blogs to give their farewells and was hoping Stoops and Joe Castiglione would keep it every other year or something like that. We also had a party with our neighbors, who were OU fans, on every OU/NU game. Was always a blast. The "new school" kids don't see it as a rivlary, but those old school guys cherished it as they grew up on it.

Didn't we try to keep the "Red Rivalry" going and play OU as a non conference game when we were moving to the B1G? I believe TO and Bo offered something like that, but Stoops said they weren't interested. I personally don't see OU committing to anything like this, as it could ruin a National Title shot with a loss. From a traditional side, it would be awesome, but not going to happen in my opinion.

Stoops said that they had difficult non-conference schedules for the forseeable future. It's not like they could just can their current opponents to appease our schedule. This is going to happen and I hope it goes on for a long time.

I think it would be cool to play it every year at Arrowhead like Mizzou and Illinois did in St. Louis for awhile. But, imagine the meltdown we would have with the increased odds of losing a non-conference game yearly. lol

I think the odds are going to increase more every year regardless. We lost to UCLA this year, we have them next year, we have games with Miami, FL, Tennessee and BYU. Plus if SOS is a factor in the new playoff, these are the chances that every school will be taking.

we ran away from the Big XII to a weak conference because we were chicken and were dominated by both participants in said Red River Shootout. Makes more sense to me now.

:funnyhahah :funnyhahah :funnyhahah :funnyhahah :funnyhahah :funnyhahah :funnyhahah:funnyhahah :funnyhahah :funnyhahah :funnyhahah :funnyhahah :funnyhahah

We left a favoring division, who would do anything to make sure their "elite" would make it to a BCS bowl game. I am not even going to get into it, but by far, B1G has stiffer opponents in bowl games, as most face SEC teams. Last year the B1G was much more of a tougher conference than the B12. This year, I would say the same. You might have the argument about WV, but they have no defense, haven't played anyone with a strong defense and a potent offense, so they have yet to even be tested yet. Geno Smith is good, and will most likely win Heisman, but with no defense, it will be hard to go undefeated.

If you didn't understand the context of what I was saying to someone saying OU was sooooo scared of us they fled our so called rivalry for the 110 year old Red River Shootout then so be it. To the entire Big XII ( and most of the nation) we appear as about as chickenchit fleeing to a weak conference, regardless I was using this as an example. Kettle meet Pot if you will, OU had legitimate reasons, some say we do too. Now that Texas A&M, Mizzou and the Buffs are all gone maybe the Big XII and Big Ten are on sort of equal ground but not when we " Left / Ran"

Red River shootout = Six of the ten showings in the 200-2010 era featured one of the participants in the Bowl Championship Series National Championship Game (2000, 2003–05, and 2008–09)

The game typically has conference or even national significance. Since 1945, one or both of the two teams has been ranked among the top 25 teams in the nation coming into 61 out of 66 games.

Who is OU going to Pick? Texas said the same thing about Texas A&M when the whole SEC thing came about