Sipple: New AD might encounter rugged terrain

Nexus

]It is Harvey's call. Just like it was his call to give Steve Pederson and Bill Callahan raises adn contract extensions (which nobody liked) less than 6 months before they were both fired, costing NU millions of dollars. He also told members of the staff they'd have some input, which was a lie.

IMO, TO scheduled a PC because he felt Harvey forced his hand by going behind his back and giving the job to a n00b before he had even announced his retirement.

You do have this conspiracy theory thing down pat.

Care to tell me what is "conspiracy" of the above?

I know for a fact that there are important Alumni that are pissed, and a bunch of the chapter presidents aren't happy, mine included. Believe whatever you want, I don't care.

Hiring an AD to replace To is more complex than many people realize.

Perlman MUST make the new A.D. HIS HIRE, but at the same time recognizing the stature of the current AD Osborne and all that he has done for Nebraska Athletics, the university itself, and quite frankly, the state of Nebraska.

How is this accomplished? Not the way Perlman handled it, i don't believe? I agree the choice should be Perlman's and his alone. He stated he doesn't believe an out-going AD should be to intimately involved in his/her replacment. I agree mainly due to emotions from relationships that have been developed over time with co-workers, friends, etc., already within the department. TO being such a loyal guy and with his strong beliefs that loyalty is paramount as a ingredient for a successful program, makes this all the more complicated! How does Perlman make his hire without feeling that he has to defer to the legacy of TO, but yet acknowledge it, give it the resepect it so deserves, as well as realiziing the undeniable truth that TO's input really is so valuable going forward in the search?

In my unvarnished opinion Perlman pulled the trigger much to fast! Especially if you look at it from a political point of view. Perlman, I believe, wasn't as respectful of Osborne as he should have been. He could have easily avoided this by continuing the process longer, ensuring Osborne would be as involved as he deserves to be, therefore showing he is seriously taking TO's input to heart in his search. He can have Eichorst as his guy and mind made up already and still do these few little things to pacify everyone involved. Yes, much of it is just symbolic, but replacing a man like TO, knowing his stature with the program and the state, you can never be delicate enough when moving forward in a situation like this! Perlman, should have gone to the extreme in being thorough in the search process as well as making the pool of viable candidates as large as possible and showing more patience in hiring his choice, even is he knew who his choice would be from day 1!

Perception of how everyone involved was treated and showing sensitivity to all invloved in the process is vital and he didn't show the sensitivity he needed to show nor the place enough value of the involvment of TO in the process that he should have. As for the viewpoint that Bo be more involved, i dont get at all! It's not Bo's place to have input on this hire!

You make a lot of great points about the complicated nature (on a lot of levels) a process like this entails.

He could have easily avoided this by continuing the process longer, ensuring Osborne would be as involved as he deserves to be

On this - my understanding is the process was going on for some time before we were aware that Tom was retiring. Whether Perlman conducted it as elegantly towards Tom as he could have, I believe it Osborne who rushed the timeline with his abruptly scheduled presser on 26 September, to announce his retirement.

At that time, it was only a matter of time before the selection would come out. Again, just from my not-first-hand understanding, but Harvey's timeline for an announcement was accelerated (perhaps not to his liking) as a result of T.O's presser, and as a result, we did indeed have sources coming out on Eichorst not too long after.

I see what your saying Zoogies, but I'm of the opinion, Perlman shouldnt have felt pressured to accelerate his decision because, in reality, what does it truly accomplish? I believe nothing! Tom stated he would stay on 6 months after the hire to ensure smooth transition. I almost guarantee, if the search took a month or two longer than it did, Tom wouldn't consider that as part of his 6 month stay over. Matter a fact, i believe the 6 months timeline TO stated is arbritrary in nature, and if for some reason, the transition required him to stick around for 12 months, he would do whatever it took to make it successful!

But your point is well taken.

I think...but my understanding here is quite hazy...that the announcement could not have been helped, because even if Perlman didn't say anything, someone would dig the cat out of the bag.

I think by Sept. 26, the search had been completed and the 'damage' - bad feelings, etc - had been done. That was engendered by how the process was going on behind the scenes, or namely, that HP was picking his guy, and not by the speed of any announcement. Someone is welcome to correct me if I'm incorrect.

greenmonkey, +1. Although I daresay Harvey learned his lesson with Steve Pederson by the end of his tenure.

Regardless of any and all of it... TO cant be replaced! The man is truly a hero of mine! Tom is made up of qualities and human traits that you rarely see these days. He thinks of others before himself, and he truly cares for other people that have had the gift of his involvement in their lives! He is a source of inspiration for me, on which i can't place a value, because his influence is truly priceless as much as it is timeless!

TO is a man for the ages!

My God!

Who would every believe NU would incorporate anything of Miami into our Psyche? This is crazy. The guy rolled the dice on Miami and he set up his future based on the Miami reputation. This is not acceptable at the University of Nebraska! This is alien to everything Nebraska has represented. No way. Who would be proud of some guy from Miami running the Nebraska Athletic Program.

This cannot happen!

RR

He's not from Miami! He's been associated with Miami for 18 months and that's it! His roots are in the mid-west, wisconsin to be specific! I don't consider it a poor reflection on the guys integrity, character, or anything else, by taking the AD job at Miami, already knowing Miami's history and poor reputation! I think it's a good reflection on him if anything for taking on a job he knew wouldn't be ideal, due to having to rebuild the trust of the NCAA, student athletes, and the nation and get the program back to a level deserving respect again from all!