"I wish I knew." -Bo Pelini 10/6/12

I want to add something. I'm not a big "get mad and demand coach X gets fired" person just because we lost. I'm not even mad. Or calling for heads. I expected this season would suck, and lo and behold, it does. The people who think we're about to win out I'm not even going to address. They're too far gone.

For the rest of us, I think Bo knows he's boxed himself in. I hope he has the clarity to look past friendship and see that his method is failing. When that happens sometimes staying the course is a bad decision, maybe even the worst of all possible decisions.

• Fire 1

Yes, we are f'ing Nebraska. And we've created such insatiable expectations that no seasoned, established exceptional coach wants anything to do with us. So what's wrong with these guys learning on the job for a few year while we rattle off some 9 and 10 win seasons. I dont see the issue yet. It's a talent gap right now. This year is lead by his first couple of recruiting classes that were not very good(in comparison to what they need to be). That aspect has gotten better. As far as comments at a post game presser, statements like "I wish I knew" I dont lead into too much. I'll wait for the monday presser when he's had time to view film on what actually happened.

That is BS, in my opinion. LSU and Bama and other top-tier teams have the same expecatations (if not higher) and any coach would jump at the chance to coach at those schools. We have to stop making excuses for our shortcomings. Money talks.

Then why couldnt we get one 10 frickin years ago, when the brand was still there. heh? huh? How many coaches, ones that are great by now, had no interest. Hell Urban Meyer was one of them, but to go to a team that fired a 9 win coach, well, that concept was laughable to him. literally, he laughed.

Oh, OK. So let's just continue to hire no-name coaches and hope that we get lucky. Yeah, that's smart.

Also, please remember that Callahan was not the top choice, he was picked after other choices fell through.

Well Husker_X, we all appreciate the fact that you are not calling for the heads of the coaches. Stability as you pointed out, is a good thing. And I totally agree with the setiment that there might be a national perception of unrealistic expectations. If Bo can win nine games this year, he should be left alone. And he might very well do that. He might win out. I don't think that is too far gone to say. I don't think we know for sure. I think the Big 10 might be too far gone for this discussion to have national relevance, but that's a topic for another day. Still, it's a reason to believe Nebraska can win the next six.

On a side note, if you expected us to suck. And didn't care. And aren't mad. Etc, etc, why are you spending your time crafting long posts about Bo and the future of the program. I say that because, well, I do care about the program, I did watch the entirety of last night's, um, game, and as a fan, someone who has no power to change a thing, I have to attempt to accept what's going on and get behind, at least to some extent, the Husker banner or take option B and quit caring.

I want to add something. I'm not a big "get mad and demand coach X gets fired" person just because we lost. I'm not even mad. Or calling for heads. I expected this season would suck, and lo and behold, it does. The people who think we're about to win out I'm not even going to address. They're too far gone.

For the rest of us, I think Bo knows he's boxed himself in. I hope he has the clarity to look past friendship and see that his method is failing. When that happens sometimes staying the course is a bad decision, maybe even the worst of all possible decisions.

I agree 100% -- it's like some people simply refuse to see the bigger picture, no matter how clear it is. Denial? Wishful thinking? I don't know what it is.

I agree 100% -- it's like some people simply refuse to see the bigger picture, no matter how clear it is. Denial? Wishful thinking? I don't know what it is.

Study the human brain for five seconds and you find out how natural we all are at rationalizing. If you want to believe that Bo is going to lead us to a B1G Champ. game this season, you'll find a rationalization. The stark reality of last night will be watered down into muddled excuses and they'll proceed as if nothing happened. Well, it did. Sorry to spoil it.

Yes, we are f'ing Nebraska. And we've created such insatiable expectations that no seasoned, established exceptional coach wants anything to do with us. So what's wrong with these guys learning on the job for a few year while we rattle off some 9 and 10 win seasons. I dont see the issue yet. It's a talent gap right now. This year is lead by his first couple of recruiting classes that were not very good(in comparison to what they need to be). That aspect has gotten better. As far as comments at a post game presser, statements like "I wish I knew" I dont lead into too much. I'll wait for the monday presser when he's had time to view film on what actually happened.

That is BS, in my opinion. LSU and Bama and other top-tier teams have the same expecatations (if not higher) and any coach would jump at the chance to coach at those schools. We have to stop making excuses for our shortcomings. Money talks.

Then why couldnt we get one 10 frickin years ago, when the brand was still there. heh? huh? How many coaches, ones that are great by now, had no interest. Hell Urban Meyer was one of them, but to go to a team that fired a 9 win coach, well, that concept was laughable to him. literally, he laughed.

Oh, OK. So let's just continue to hire no-name coaches and hope that we get lucky. Yeah, that's smart.

Also, please remember that Callahan was not the top choice, he was picked after other choices fell through.

It worked for the Huskers when Osborne took over as head coach. Just sayin'

@accountability

I respect your opinion on where we are as a program and how you see things playing out, but i disagree bigtime and want to just say, "Pull your head out of the sand!" I think you so over-simplified the reasons for our failures and lack of expected success! Talent gap? You truly believe OSU's talent is above and beyond what we have? Hardly! We have more talent than they do or are at least equally matched in talent and all the national pundits agree on that! Especially on offense!\

As far as no seasoned coach wants anything to do with us because of fan expectation is such a line of BS! A confident coach who knows his abilities as a coach are proven and has developed a winning formula for on the field sucess isn't going to be intimidated by the fan base? Wth? Doesn't make sense at all! We have the best fans in the world, and one of the smartest fan bases in all of college football! We simply call it like we see it. Unvarnished, straight forward, and a little tough on the love side of things when need be! A quality coach with confidence relishes these kinds of challenges because he knows if successful leading a high profile program, it will put him amongst the best of the best of college coaches as far as the perception of them as coaches across the nation, and if shown to have succees over time, will give him a legacy as one of the best ever in college football. All the opportunities for that kind of success is already in place at Nebraska, it's just a matter of the coaches ability to utilize what he has been given to succeed!

Nebraska is a nationally known program and has worked hard to be that and the fans are the main reason this is able to happen! Fan expectation is exactly where it needs to be and should be! Us fans have invested alot into this program, to get it where it was and is today! Best facilities in the country! Best academic support structure in the country etc.! Cutting edge sports technology and still adding to it all with new facilites like that under the new east stadium expansion devoted to researching sport related injuries!

We deserve to have a better product on the field and it should be! There is no excuse not to be better than what we have been the last 2 years. I'll give Bo the first 4 years to get things going... it's only fair! But he has had enough time to get us to a better spot than where we are now! You think it's just coincidence that urban meyer can take a team with less talent than we have, and be only a first year coach and hand us our own asses? Wake up! The coaching is the problem, and not necessarily Bo's technical coaching skills, but he has assisstants who are incompetent and not experienced enough to have their jobs at this point because they lack in the technical side of coaching! But Bo does have one huge flaw that is sticking out bigtime! It's called stubborn, blind loyalty to his assistants! He wont fire any of them and that is totally unfair to everyone, especially the fans who pay these coaches wages! Do what is necessary to become a winning program again and make the tough decisions to get us there or resign after this year and move on! This is bigger than you Bo or any friends you have on the coaching staff with you! This is about the future of one of the most storied, successful programs in college football history! Wake the f#*k up!

• Fire 1

Just had this thought. Got to type it and see what happens. We got Bob Devaney from Wyoming. That program wasn't a national contender at time time. Right? Tom was a hire off of Bob's staff.

So, maybe this is our method.

And maybe we got lucky once. Caught lightning in a bottle. And, as Tom has even said, defied gravity for 40 years.

Maybe that was it. Maybe it will be a long time, if ever, for us to climb the national mountain again.

Thoughts?

Well Husker_X, we all appreciate the fact that you are not calling for the heads of the coaches. Stability as you pointed out, is a good thing. And I totally agree with the setiment that there might be a national perception of unrealistic expectations. If Bo can win nine games this year, he should be left alone. And he might very well do that. He might win out. I don't think that is too far gone to say. I don't think we know for sure. I think the Big 10 might be too far gone for this discussion to have national relevance, but that's a topic for another day. Still, it's a reason to believe Nebraska can win the next six.

On a side note, if you expected us to suck. And didn't care. And aren't mad. Etc, etc, why are you spending your time crafting long posts about Bo and the future of the program. I say that because, well, I do care about the program, I did watch the entirety of last night's, um, game, and as a fan, someone who has no power to change a thing, I have to attempt to accept what's going on and get behind, at least to some extent, the Husker banner or take option B and quit caring.

'Scuse me. Id didn't say I didn't care. Usually when people even broach the subject of coaching changes they're branded as fringe lunatics feeding off emotion.

I'll tell you what I didn't expect--the worst massacre of the Pelini era in the fifth year of his tenure. I'm alarmed. I'll put it that way. As for why I craft long posts, because when I do post I like to explain my reasoning. If you see any flaws, point them out and I'll change my opinion to align with a better picture of reality. But as I see it, our problem is systemic, in our staff. Without staff changes we shouldn't expect on-the-field changes. It's really that simple for me, and it doesn't require seething rage to see it.

• Fire 3

Study the human brain for five seconds and you find out how natural we all are at rationalizing. If you want to believe that Bo is going to lead us to a B1G Champ. game this season, you'll find a rationalization. The stark reality of last night will be watered down into muddled excuses and they'll proceed as if nothing happened. Well, it did. Sorry to spoil it.

My personal uneducated opinion is this will be Bo's last season as Head Coach for Nebraska. There is a reason Perlman hired a new AD so quickly: Eichorst, I surmise, is already working on finding a replacement for Bo.

@accountability

Pull your head out of the sand! You so over-simplified the reasons for our failures and lack of expected success! Talent gap? You truly believe OSU's talent is above and beyond what we have? Hardly! We have more talent than they do and all the national pundits agree on that! Especially on offense! As far as no seasoned coach wants anything to do with us because of fan expectation is such a line of BS! Fan expectation is exactly where it needs to be and should be! Us fans have invested alot into this program, to get it where it was and is today! Best facilities in the country! Best academic support structure in the country etc.! Cutting edge sports technology and still adding to it all with new facilites like that under the new east stadium expansion devoted to researching sport related injuries! We deserve to have a better product on the field and it should be! There is no excuse not to be better than what we have been the last 2 years. I'll give Bo the first 4 years to get things going... it's only fair! But he has had enough time to get us to a better spot than where we are now! You think it's just coincidence that urban meyer can take a team with less talent than we have, and be only a first year coach and hand us our own asses? Wake up! The coaching is the problem, and not necessarily Bo's technical coaching skills, but he has assisstants who are incompetent and not experienced enough to have their jobs at this point because they lack in the technical side of coaching! But Bo does have one huge flaw that is sticking out bigtime! It's called stubborn, blind loyalty to his assistants! He wont fire any of them and that is totally unfair to everyone, especially the fans who pay these coaches wages! Do what is necessary to become a winning program again and make the tough decisions to get us there or resign after this year and move on! This is bigger than you Bo or any friends you have on the coaching staff with you! This is about the future of one of the most storied, successful programs in college football history! Wake the f#*k up!

+1. All of that BS about "no coach wants to come here, blah blah blah, our expectations our too high" is just that -- BS.

To me it's pretty silly to even have the "fire the coach!" conversation until he's at least had a losing season. And I think it's a little premature to declare his hires are failures. We're pretty depleted in talent on the defensive side of the ball right now. Even if we would have gone out and gotten a "name" coordinator, we'd probably still be seeing more or less the same result.

Kaczenski was a proven commodity and the lack of talent on the defensive line still shows.