"I wish I knew." -Bo Pelini 10/6/12

So, for everyone saying we could get a better coach, lets hear some realistic names. Im not quite ready to give up on bo, but i am damn close. Im really curious, who else? Whos the hot coach? Who could restore us, realistically? I am still thinking we need stability to return to glory, maybe i am wrong. I am sick of getting embarrassed and the excuses.

I'll throw a few names out...

Chris Petersen? (Did not know about his kid's health situation)

Dave Doeren? (Lots of regional ties - KC, Wisconsin, Drake - he's a midwesterner)

Dana Holgorsen?

Gary Patterson?

Pete Carrol? :)

Okay not happening. But if we want to keep up with the Ohio States and Alabamas, that would be one hire that would put us on pace to do it quickly.

If we're just gonna throw out names, I'd be really intriqued with Paul Rhodes.

Would still like a link to the presser, but at least it seems Bo wasn't standoffish. Just humbled. Isn't that sort of what we expect from the coach after a loss like this?

You can't hope your quarterback, who makes about a 1-1 ratio of mistakes to splash plays to 0 net benefit, will magic you to a championship. (Where, by the way, will the accountability be on this one? Please point it out to me, as I'm willing to bet Taylor trots out there again next week.

This is one thing I would like to keep an eye on, X. Bo hitched his wagon to Taylor in 2010 and he's been a completely unquestioned starter at every point since. We seem to be making great concerted efforts to keep him in that position. But at some point, like maybe last offseason, the offseason before, or maybe the next offseason, we should say: we expect great things from the QB position. It's an open competition. Blank slate for everybody. Go out there and win the job if you can.

kid nickels, I can assure you kids know Bo and love him, and would run through walls for the guy. We need to make a more consistent in-season effort in recruiting, that much is certain. But Bo himself, isn't the issue in terms of not being appealing enough.

IF there is a hard reality to face. IF the game last night is a harbinger of bad tidings yet to come this season and beyond, the final decision on Bo, sadly to say, will vindicate Steve Peterson, at least somewhat. There have been a variety of topics in regard to the Frank Solich situation with a lot of people, including myself, saying that the man should have had more time. What is not in dispute is that Frank should not have been fired without there being a clear plan to move forward. Steve fired Frank, sought a man with head coaching experience and SWAG and came up with zip. He ended up with Bill Callahan. And that failed. But Peterson passed on Bo because he wanted experience. He thought that was important and he was probably right. Tom swept in, booted Bill out the door, which had to be done, and brought in Bo, who still lacked experience in terms of heading up a program. Bo has been learning on the job and doing fairly well at it, but he's facing major road blocks to success. He always has to learn things the hard way. Now, Tom's deal was a bit different than what Steve had. I believe, and maybe I am wrong, that Tom had the SWAG and the national perception to net us an experienced coach with a proven track record, but Tom didn't seem like he wanted to make a grand initial investment, which took, a bunch of names out of the mix fast. He was left with Bo, a coordinator who wanted to be a head coach, lacked experience, but was willing to be paid less. Bo came in without much confidence, accepted coaches from a failed staff and watched as we failed on the offensive side in years one, two and three. Recruiting failed early and still continues to struggle. Bo doesn't appear to be a good recruiter. And then Carl left to begin his head coaching career where most coaches begin, at a directional school, unlike where Pelini started, a BCS program. Bo had his moments where he has had to make moves on the coaching staff. He should have replaced the coordinators from outside the program, but he could have been hamstrung by the facts that, A. No one wants to work in his shadow on the defensive side, and B. No offensive coordinator feels as though they could run their plan sans traditional option because Tom is here and they don't perceive Bo as a strong leader that would keep Tom's influences at bay. What's next? It's hard to tell. If we relieve Bo of his duties this year or next year or the year after that, we will all get a front row seat to the play entitled, "Does Nebraska have the ability to attract a big name coach?" We can all hope the answer to that question is... yes.

NO. nothing will vindicate Steve Peterson for what he did. Nothing.

So, for everyone saying we could get a better coach, lets hear some realistic names. Im not quite ready to give up on bo, but i am damn close. Im really curious, who else? Whos the hot coach? Who could restore us, realistically? I am still thinking we need stability to return to glory, maybe i am wrong. I am sick of getting embarrassed and the excuses.

I'm not in favor of Bo being fired, but if he is and LSU drops a few more this year, I would like to see Les Miles considered. He reminds me of TO.

I'll throw a few names out...

Chris Petersen? (Did not know about his kid's health situation)

Dave Doeren? (Lots of regional ties - KC, Wisconsin, Drake - he's a midwesterner)

Dana Holgorsen?

Gary Patterson?

I want to add something. I'm not a big "get mad and demand coach X gets fired" person just because we lost. I'm not even mad. Or calling for heads. I expected this season would suck, and lo and behold, it does. The people who think we're about to win out I'm not even going to address. They're too far gone.

For the rest of us, I think Bo knows he's boxed himself in. I hope he has the clarity to look past friendship and see that his method is failing. When that happens sometimes staying the course is a bad decision, maybe even the worst of all possible decisions.

The season sucks because we're 1-1 in the big ten after losing on the road to a team 10 ranks higher than us and in the other division?

Was hoping to see some perspective and the realization that we're not in a bad position Big 10 wise, except for a relatively tough schedule. Ohio State also beat MSU, making our job easier. We showed we have strength, talent, and can make big plays as well as big mistakes, but this was not a must win game nor were we favored.

I suggest we come back down from the edge, stop acting like Iowa fans- who actually have something to really complain about, and just breathe into a paper bag for 2 weeks.

I'm sorry you apparently missed the game and the press conference afterwards. In your conveniently coy Football-For-Dummies version of what actually happened last night, you forgot to mention that our quarterback 'improved' from bad to miserable, our defense was Cosgrovian in the non-hyperbole sense of the word, and afterwards our coach looked like a guy who just came out of the trenches in World War 1.

Forget winning the division. There's no logical reason to think it will happen. Forget the title. That won't happen either. What did happen (or is happening, I should say), is Nebraska has been completely exposed. Every minor fault and crack many decided to ignore in favor of fantasies of a psychologically matured, disciplined football team split into canyons. We have massive systemic issues within the program and no amount of excuse-peddling or sunshine-pumping is going to alter that fact. It will continue to prove itself over. . .and over. . .and over. . .until the issue is addressed. It's Groundhog Day at Nebraska as long as self-delusion is the modus operandi.

My feeling is, this staff as it stands is completely incapable of addressing its problems. Pelini is largely responsible for this. Now, finally, after last night, I think he's beginning the process of coming to terms with it. We're not on the ledge. We've fallen off it. Recognize it. Admit it. If you don't, I hope Bo does, else I fully believe we are sunk.

• Fire 1

I doubt Pete Carroll would leave the Seahawks, unless his job is in jeopardy and he is looking for an out.

He won't. But he might not have a choice if they start losing. Which might happen sooner than later. They lucked out against Green Bay, beat a crappy Dallas team and lost to the Cardinals. Tough division, don't see playoffs for them, might not see the 4th year of his 4 year contract. Who knows.

But even if the Seahawks show him the door, not sure he'd come to Nebraska and Nebraska would want him. Probably not the right fit. Big splash, instant recruiting boost, title hunt within a year or two are all probable though.

Isn't he originally from Iowa? Not that it matters.

Forget winning the division. There's no logical reason to think it will happen. Forget the title. That won't happen either. What did happen (or is happening, I should say), is Nebraska has been completely exposed. Every minor fault and crack many decided to ignore in favor of fantasies of a psychologically matured, disciplined football team split into canyons. We have massive systemic issues within the program and no amount of excuse-peddling or sunshine-pumping is going to alter that fact. It will continue to prove itself over. . .and over. . .and over. . .until the issue is addressed. It's Groundhog Day at Nebraska as long as self-delusion is the modus operandi.

+1. It's time for the sunshine-pumpers to get their heads out of their asses and face reality. We are going nowhere fast.

IMO, we need someone with big-name appeal, someone who kids know of and want to play for. Someone along the lines of a Saban, Spurrier, Meyer, Carroll...

Well you better start cheering against Nebraska and Seattle then. Because only Carroll on your list is a very likely possibility.

Let's rehash this discussion from the UCLA loss.

Chris Peterson pretty much was offered a blank check from UCLA and said no. no to a west coast, beautiful weather, recruiting hotbed to stay in Boise.

Gary Paterson said no to his Alma mater in Kansas state, because he didn't want to leave a recruiting haven .

Pete Carroll would bring NCAA sanctions with him. Something that would be landed on any college that would hire him after the Reggie Bush scandal. There is a reason he is in the NFL now.

Dana Hilversum, addressed by others isn't the concern defense

Rich Rod, ditto

Bobby Petrino, ditto and his little ethnical lapse will hurt him getting a D 1 head job for a while

Dave Doreen, or whatever, seriously??? The throw out big money to a big name coach theory just went out the window. Talk about a meltdown hire.

So again just like after the UCLA game, headhunters please bring about a realistic list of names you so wish for

• Fire 2