"I wish I knew." -Bo Pelini 10/6/12

Jon Gruden, Bill Cowher, and Pete Carroll would be my list. Nebraska needs to pay up and get a head coach.

Two coaches that are picking whichever NFL gig they want and when they want, and a guy that brings sanctions upon his return to the college level.

Please try again

Carroll has ONE player take money on the side from a booster in all of his years and all of his multiple NC's and you just automatically assume he will bring sanctions upon his return?

Please try again

When the sanctions were announced against USC it was announced as well. See Jim Tressel's situation as well for further precedence as well.

Your post, fail

I want to add something. I'm not a big "get mad and demand coach X gets fired" person just because we lost. I'm not even mad. Or calling for heads. I expected this season would suck, and lo and behold, it does. The people who think we're about to win out I'm not even going to address. They're too far gone.

For the rest of us, I think Bo knows he's boxed himself in. I hope he has the clarity to look past friendship and see that his method is failing. When that happens sometimes staying the course is a bad decision, maybe even the worst of all possible decisions.

The season sucks because we're 1-1 in the big ten after losing on the road to a team 10 ranks higher than us and in the other division?

Was hoping to see some perspective and the realization that we're not in a bad position Big 10 wise, except for a relatively tough schedule. Ohio State also beat MSU, making our job easier. We showed we have strength, talent, and can make big plays as well as big mistakes, but this was not a must win game nor were we favored.

I suggest we come back down from the edge, stop acting like Iowa fans- who actually have something to really complain about, and just breathe into a paper bag for 2 weeks.

Tough Schedule? Says' who? The B1G is a terrible conference and is lucky that the ACC (America's Crapiest Conference) the Big Least are around to take some of the attention to how bad this conference really is. The only way you can consider it tough is if you take our HC's inability to defend mobile QB's, and then yes, you can call it tough, but that is because we don't have a competent defense.

Whether you want to admit it or not, there is a very good possibility that NU will be 4-4 when they head to Spartan Stadium.

I don't disagree with that. There is also a good possibility they will be 5-3 or 6-2. OSU is likely the best team in the Big 10. Nebraska is certainly one of the best in the Legends division. Are we going to support them and let this play out or screech out our bile and pain to the world while uttering foul and nasty things about them?

That isn't a rhetorical question. I'm relatively new to being a Husker fan but moved to Lincoln two years ago and LOVE them. I came from Iowa and still follow that team but on 11/23, I expect a solid Husker win here.

I want to add something. I'm not a big "get mad and demand coach X gets fired" person just because we lost. I'm not even mad. Or calling for heads. I expected this season would suck, and lo and behold, it does. The people who think we're about to win out I'm not even going to address. They're too far gone.

For the rest of us, I think Bo knows he's boxed himself in. I hope he has the clarity to look past friendship and see that his method is failing. When that happens sometimes staying the course is a bad decision, maybe even the worst of all possible decisions.

The season sucks because we're 1-1 in the big ten after losing on the road to a team 10 ranks higher than us and in the other division?

Was hoping to see some perspective and the realization that we're not in a bad position Big 10 wise, except for a relatively tough schedule. Ohio State also beat MSU, making our job easier. We showed we have strength, talent, and can make big plays as well as big mistakes, but this was not a must win game nor were we favored.

I suggest we come back down from the edge, stop acting like Iowa fans- who actually have something to really complain about, and just breathe into a paper bag for 2 weeks.

I'm sorry you apparently missed the game and the press conference afterwards. In your conveniently coy Football-For-Dummies version of what actually happened last night, you forgot to mention that our quarterback 'improved' from bad to miserable, our defense was Cosgrovian in the non-hyperbole sense of the word, and afterwards our coach looked like a guy who just came out of the trenches in World War 1.

Forget winning the division. There's no logical reason to think it will happen. Forget the title. That won't happen either. What did happen (or is happening, I should say), is Nebraska has been completely exposed. Every minor fault and crack many decided to ignore in favor of fantasies of a psychologically matured, disciplined football team split into canyons. We have massive systemic issues within the program and no amount of excuse-peddling or sunshine-pumping is going to alter that fact. It will continue to prove itself over. . .and over. . .and over. . .until the issue is addressed. It's Groundhog Day at Nebraska as long as self-delusion is the modus operandi.

My feeling is, this staff as it stands is completely incapable of addressing its problems. Pelini is largely responsible for this. Now, finally, after last night, I think he's beginning the process of coming to terms with it. We're not on the ledge. We've fallen off it. Recognize it. Admit it. If you don't, I hope Bo does, else I fully believe we are sunk.

You're sunk. Gone! I suggest you follow Alabama this year since they're the only team that won't lose a big game under pressure. Any of the other top 10 can and likely will.

OSU is a better team, and Braxton Miller is a better QB. There was no way we were coming out of that stadium with a win unless those two factors didn't bother showing up. Since they did, our turnover problems only made a loss into an embarrassing one. Who the hell cares? I suggest you let go of your personal, posterior pain and sandy nether-region affliction and realize that we're 1-1 in our division, it's early, and the worst game is probably over. I'll admit that our program has its challenges but there is no reason to expect, even hope for out of spite, the same kind of result in any of our remaining games.

(Where, by the way, will the accountability be on this one? Please point it out to me, as I'm willing to bet Taylor trots out there again next week.)

I'll take that bet.

You really think Taylor's riding the pine after last night?

No, but I'm fairly certain next week is a bye.

Yep, the whole team is getting benched for next weeks game haha

To me it's pretty silly to even have the "fire the coach!" conversation until he's at least had a losing season. And I think it's a little premature to declare his hires are failures. We're pretty depleted in talent on the defensive side of the ball right now. Even if we would have gone out and gotten a "name" coordinator, we'd probably still be seeing more or less the same result. Kaczenski was a proven commodity and the lack of talent on the defensive line still shows.
I disagree. Anything under 9 wins is unacceptable, IMO. Osborne established that number as the standard and never went beneath it. The first time a coach achieves less than that, a possible replacement must be discussed.

college football was a different game then. we've always made good teams out of everyone else's leftovers. you can't make up the difference with strength and conditioning any more because the rule changes favor warm-weather schools and basketball-on-turf type offenses and the game has been shortened so much that it's way more difficult to wear your opponent down. if you read tom's books, there were a lot of years where he didn't expect to crack .500. boyd eppley charlie mcbride and milt tenopir were able to make up the difference.

Everyone says that a team takes on the persona of their coach. Well, if that's the case then NU is sunk for the rest of the year. Bo's demeanor at the Presser was of a broken and confused coach with not much confidence in himself.

Why shouldn't the players themselves take the same demeanor? I hope they don't, but I believe this self doubt may start to spread within the team. If this occurs and Pelini loses the mental aspect of his team it will be an excrutiantingly long year for us all I fear.

How many losses does Bo get this year before he goes? Or does it depend on the type of losses?

He would have to lose at least 4 more for firing him even to be considered IMO. How about you wait and see what happens the rest of the season before every person that doesn't like Bo goes on their rage and calls for his head.

Everyone says that a team takes on the persona of their coach. Well, if that's the case then NU is sunk for the rest of the year. Bo's demeanor at the Presser was of a broken and confused coach with not much confidence in himself.

Why shouldn't the players themselves take the same demeanor? I hope they don't, but I believe this self doubt may start to spread within the team. If this occurs and Pelini loses the mental aspect of his team it will be an excrutiantingly long year for us all I fear.

I miss fiery Bo, but that side of him went away because all of the pissants from around the country decided that yelling was a bad thing.

I'm sorry you apparently missed the game and the press conference afterwards. In your conveniently coy Football-For-Dummies version of what actually happened last night, you forgot to mention that our quarterback 'improved' from bad to miserable, our defense was Cosgrovian in the non-hyperbole sense of the word, and afterwards our coach looked like a guy who just came out of the trenches in World War 1.

Forget winning the division. There's no logical reason to think it will happen. Forget the title. That won't happen either. What did happen (or is happening, I should say), is Nebraska has been completely exposed. Every minor fault and crack many decided to ignore in favor of fantasies of a psychologically matured, disciplined football team split into canyons. We have massive systemic issues within the program and no amount of excuse-peddling or sunshine-pumping is going to alter that fact. It will continue to prove itself over. . .and over. . .and over. . .until the issue is addressed. It's Groundhog Day at Nebraska as long as self-delusion is the modus operandi.

My feeling is, this staff as it stands is completely incapable of addressing its problems. Pelini is largely responsible for this. Now, finally, after last night, I think he's beginning the process of coming to terms with it. We're not on the ledge. We've fallen off it. Recognize it. Admit it. If you don't, I hope Bo does, else I fully believe we are sunk.

You're sunk. Gone! I suggest you follow Alabama this year since they're the only team that won't lose a big game under pressure. Any of the other top 10 can and likely will.

OSU is a better team, and Braxton Miller is a better QB. There was no way we were coming out of that stadium with a win unless those two factors didn't bother showing up. Since they did, our turnover problems only made a loss into an embarrassing one. Who the hell cares? I suggest you let go of your personal, posterior pain and sandy nether-region affliction and realize that we're 1-1 in our division, it's early, and the worst game is probably over. I'll admit that our program has its challenges but there is no reason to expect, even hope for out of spite, the same kind of result in any of our remaining games.

Please tell me you are joking. I have EVERY reason to believe that they'll perform exactly the same way -- they've been doing it throughout Bo's entire tenure!

I miss fiery Bo, but that side of him went away because all of the pissants from around the country decided that yelling was a bad thing.

You and me both. After A&M (IIRC) it was as if he completely lost his mojo after the very public admonishment by HP.

Jskers95

Several reasons.... location, weather, and a head coach that looks like a lunatic on ESPN (warranted or not, perception is reality)

The whole SEC pays players is just an excuse. If someone could find dirt on LSU, Florida, or Alabama, it would be out. People are digging for dirt on them and come up with nothing. SImply, they have a better location, better weather, better conference, hotter women, and better coaches. Want to be on LSU or Alabama or even USC level? Win a few NC's and they will be begging to join.

Winning cures all!

Jskers95

Several reasons.... location, weather, and a head coach that looks like a lunatic on ESPN (warranted or not, perception is reality)

The whole SEC pays players is just an excuse. If someone could find dirt on LSU, Florida, or Alabama, it would be out. People are digging for dirt on them and come up with nothing. SImply, they have a better location, better weather, better conference, hotter women, and better coaches. Want to be on LSU or Alabama or even USC level? Win a few NC's and they will be begging to join.

Winning cures all!

Once again, that is exactly why we need a coach who is a proven recruiter who can recruit top talent.