"I wish I knew." -Bo Pelini 10/6/12

Yes, we are f'ing Nebraska. And we've created such insatiable expectations that no seasoned, established exceptional coach wants anything to do with us. So what's wrong with these guys learning on the job for a few year while we rattle off some 9 and 10 win seasons. I dont see the issue yet. It's a talent gap right now. This year is lead by his first couple of recruiting classes that were not very good(in comparison to what they need to be). That aspect has gotten better. As far as comments at a post game presser, statements like "I wish I knew" I dont lead into too much. I'll wait for the monday presser when he's had time to view film on what actually happened.

That is BS, in my opinion. LSU and Bama and other top-tier teams have the same expecatations (if not higher) and any coach would jump at the chance to coach at those schools. We have to stop making excuses for our shortcomings. Money talks.

The lim-fac IMO is finding a good coach who won't come in and change the entire culture of the program. Callahan tried it and look how that turned out for him.

That's because the good old boy system (Tom and the former players) acted like spoiled kids that didn't get what they wanted and undermined him. I hope they do not do that to the new AD and whoever he picks to replace Bo.

Incorrect. Callahan failed for the same reason Bo is failing now. Too much blind loyalty. If Callahan had fired Cosgrove after the '06 season, and brought in a good DC, and let the DC pick his assistants, he may still be here. But his loyalty to Cosgrove cost him his job.

He wasn't given the chance to make any changes in 2007 as Bo was tabbed as the new HC after the oSu game. If he refused to hire Cozgrove after the 2007 debacle, then I would agree that he needed to go. But Tom and the former players coordinating golf tourny's the same day as the athletic departments fundraiser (for example) isn't undermining them?

IMO the NW game is the season and it doesn't look good for Bo because of the mobile QB issue. If/when we lose that game, we have Dennard the week after and likely another loss. That puts us at 4-4 and in a 3 game losing streak, so then you have the possibility of Bo losing the team aka 2007 with BC. Then it may not matter if the QB is mobile or not as the kids just wont' care anymore.

Bo has two weeks to figure out a Mobile QB, if not then his tenure here may be over at seasons end.

I see all this as a real possibility right now. It will be interesting to see how the team responds after last night.

I'm sure if the team rallies and ends up having a pretty good season, you'll support Bo with equal vigor. :)

Out of everything that was seen and heard during last night's massacre--the only predictable thing Pelini teams are associated with anymore--this comment is the most important. The most revealing; and, frankly, disastrous. When Watson politely fled the state I said this was Bo Pelini's Don Corleone moment. That moment where you realize you simply have to do whatever you have to do, fire whoever you have to fire, replace whoever you have to replace. Be brutal. Kill friendships. Cut all dead weight. Bring in the most seasoned, talented, expensive staff you can. What did he do instead? Promote his buddies, and why not? That's the Pelini way.

But that's not the reason this comment is the most important. Everyone else knew that hiring unqualified, untested, unproven toddlers for the #s 2 and 3 most important positions on the staff after the head honcho was a risk, and not just a risk. A silly risk. A stupid risk. An unnecessary risk.

Why? Because we're f*&^ing Nebraska, and we don't need to settle for unproven commodities. We have more money than that. We have more tradition than that. In other words, we already knew what anyone with any semblance of strategic sense knew: you don't need to take these risks, and taking risks when you don't need to is the harbinger of failure and a sign of a serious mental flaw. Whether it's stupidity, delusion, pride, arrogance, or some combination--Pelini is seriously flawed as a coach. He makes unsound decisions and then sticks with them no matter the cost.

I don't post as often as I used to. The reason is I had no expectations for this season, and I'm unsurprised by last night's result. I, like anyone who's not themselves completely deluded, was firmly planted in the Wait-And-See camp. There is no more reason to wait. We've not only seen it, but Pelini has said it. He's clueless. And that's why this statement is one that I think will ring for the rest of Pelini's tenure, and loudly.

I'm a fan of stability. I prefer keeping coaches with modest success over throwing the dice with a coaching carousel. I'm still in that camp. But Bo, you know why you don't field well-coached, disciplined teams? Because your coaching staff sucks and they don't know what they're doing. You can cover flaws with strategy. You can't cover incompetence with it. You can't hope your quarterback, who makes about a 1-1 ratio of mistakes to splash plays to 0 net benefit, will magic you to a championship. (Where, by the way, will the accountability be on this one? Please point it out to me, as I'm willing to bet Taylor trots out there again next week.)

Anyway, in conclusion, what we now know is the most relevant fact: Pelini is clueless. We know because he said so. All the "Trust Bo" cheerleaders and the sunshine pumpers have had their day. Thanks, fellas. We'll take it from here. Bo, I'll give you a clue, because I'm pretty sure you're going to be here next season come hell or high water, and I'm okay with that.

Bo Pelini, it's here again. Your Michael Corleone moment. Fire anyone. Fire everyone. Bench anyone. Bench everyone. Scrap any scheme. Scrap every scheme. As Damon Benning said during the freakout fest last night, it's time to bring in people who are smarter than you to do the things you can't. You need to accept your deficiencies and then take steps to offset them. That's what you do in strategy. It's all you can do, really.

If he's not willing, his tenure will not last long. It's not what I want but it's the inevitable fact. He's tried everything else except the obvious solution.

Outstanding post! Send it to all the media idiots making up excuses for Pelini!

Bo sounded defeated last night. The text does not truly convey they emotion and desperation in his voice. No talk of 'the process' or 'the next game' he flat out said he told the team "We need to win out. We need to win out" Very out of character. With the way the defense quit and the finger pointing on the field, things are bad. And a loss (which I expect quite frankly) at Northwestern, and this team may not make 6 wins. The wheels may well come off all together.

Its also worth mentioning that TO did not want to pay big money to a head coach or staff. With the expectations we have as Husker fans, $3mill in the absolute lowest a head coach should be making here. Probably closer to $3.5 or $4. And TO went out and spent $1.5. Gill at one point was making more at Kansas. You have quality coaches that would take us right off the table with that lowball effort. If you remember, there were really only three names that it sounded like TO interviewed. Pelini, Gill and Grobe. For the freaking NEBRASKA JOB. Two guys who never had been had coaches, and the guy from Wake Forest.

IMO the NW game is the season and it doesn't look good for Bo because of the mobile QB issue. If/when we lose that game, we have Dennard the week after and likely another loss. That puts us at 4-4 and in a 3 game losing streak, so then you have the possibility of Bo losing the team aka 2007 with BC. Then it may not matter if the QB is mobile or not as the kids just wont' care anymore.

Bo has two weeks to figure out a Mobile QB, if not then his tenure here may be over at seasons end.

Oh how sweet that would be. I'll gladly take a complete melt down season as a sacrifice year if it meant getting Bo the hell out of here. And I wouldn't even feel bad about it.

And to all of those saying we can't get a top coach...two words for ya:

Money Talks

Welcome to big time college football 2012. It's not being dominated by yes men experimental first year coaches and golf teachers. It's being dominated by MONEY!!!

I see all this as a real possibility right now. It will be interesting to see how the team responds after last night.

I'm sure if the team rallies and ends up having a pretty good season, you'll support Bo with equal vigor. :)

I want the team to win, I really don't care who the coach is. I have supported them all.

Bo sounded defeated last night. The text does not truly convey they emotion and desperation in his voice. No talk of 'the process' or 'the next game' he flat out said he told the team "We need to win out. We need to win out" Very out of character. With the way the defense quit and the finger pointing on the field, things are bad. And a loss (which I expect quite frankly) at Northwestern, and this team may not make 6 wins. The wheels may well come off all together.

Its also worth mentioning that TO did not want to pay big money to a head coach or staff. With the expectations we have as Husker fans, $3mill in the absolute lowest a head coach should be making here. Probably closer to $3.5 or $4. And TO went out and spent $1.5. Gill at one point was making more at Kansas. You have quality coaches that would take us right off the table with that lowball effort. If you remember, there were really only three names that it sounded like TO interviewed. Pelini, Gill and Grobe. For the freaking NEBRASKA JOB. Two guys who never had been had coaches, and the guy from Wake Forest.

Oh how sweet that would be. I'll gladly take a complete melt down season as a sacrifice year if it meant getting Bo the hell out of here. And I wouldn't even feel bad about it.

And to all of those saying we can't get a top coach...two words for ya:

Money Talks

Welcome to big time college football 2012. It's not being dominated by yes men experimental first year coaches and golf teachers. It's being dominated by MONEY!!!

I've been saying the same exact thing for the past couple of weeks. You pay whatever it takes to get a top-notch coach to turn things around, just like Alabama did. Their fans finally said "We've had enough" and demanded better, they stuck to their guns and didn't lower their standards or expectations, and now look at them.

Well Husker_X, we all appreciate the fact that you are not calling for the heads of the coaches. Stability as you pointed out, is a good thing. And I totally agree with the setiment that there might be a national perception of unrealistic expectations. If Bo can win nine games this year, he should be left alone.

What are our expectations?

1. Win 9 games a year and go to mediocre bowls?

2. Win 10+ games a year and go to a good bowl?

3. Win the legends conference and go to a better bowl?

4. Win any of the above bowl games?

5. Win the B1G Championship and go to the Rose Bowl?

6. Play for the National Championship? And win?

What is our expectation for a coach that directs one of the most successful college football programs in the nation? :confucius

I like this. I don't want to sound like a spoiled fan, but we can't be happy with 9 wins and a crappy loss in a crappy bowl game year in and year out. Even in Osborne's darkest years, he might pull off an upset or win a bowl game or something to make us happy. So far, Bo has done nothing but disappoint season in and season out. South Carolina last year was just about my last straw. To just piss away a lead like that... just like last night. Winning the first quarter handedly. Then THEY make adjustments and we do not... and Vrooom. Steamrolled.

Exactly - I could not stop thinking about last season's bowl game during the second qtr. Eerily similar.

I am optimistic that Bo takes the team bowling this year. Probably Outback Bowl - vs. # 4 ranked SEC team -> that may be ugly (Georgia? LSU? MSU? South Carolina, again?). Or Cap One Bowl...vs. # 2 ranked SEC team? UGH.

I want the team to win, I really don't care who the coach is. I have supported them all.

I just don't subscribe to 9 wins being a magical number like it was before. That was when 12 games were played total, now that is just the regular season with the possibility of a total of 14. The addition of one game against the school of the blind, deaf, and dumb should raise the expectations to 10-3 being minimum. And 9-4 is the equal to 8-4 back in Tom's day's. It's not the total, it's who you beat and who you lose too, that was Franks problem and it's also Bo's. You can't be the coach of Nebraska and get waxed by every team with a heartbeat, whip up on the sisters of the poor to a 9 win season and call it acceptable IMO.

I mean I'm sure Saban wouldn't leave Bama, but I'd still pursue him regardless. Make people aware of the level of coach we want and expect to get.

Everyone has their price. A guy like Saban would say to himself, "I could turn Nebraska around win a title there and go down as the best coach there has ever been." But I'm not sure I want a slimeball like him near our program. I'd be worried about sanctions later.

(Where, by the way, will the accountability be on this one? Please point it out to me, as I'm willing to bet Taylor trots out there again next week.)

I'll take that bet.

You really think Taylor's riding the pine after last night?

Wow, you really put that loss on TM? I know he threw 3 int etc. etc. But, if you said before the game we score 38 pts and Rex has 120 rushing. Would you say we win the game? NU got beat because they couldn't stop BM. That is the most special player I have seen in a long time. He is way better than Tim Tebow ever thought about being. Nebraska lost becuase they couldn't stop BM. The game was close for a long time. The punt return broke their back and started to create doubt in the team's mind.

I don't consider Saban to be a slimeball. He might not be loyal or long-term, but he gets things done, and he does it well. Where has he ever had issues with violating sanctions?

Just a hunch I guess. His stance on oversigning and greyshirting are turnoffs for me.