"I wish I knew." -Bo Pelini 10/6/12

So, for everyone saying we could get a better coach, lets hear some realistic names. Im not quite ready to give up on bo, but i am damn close. Im really curious, who else? Whos the hot coach? Who could restore us, realistically? I am still thinking we need stability to return to glory, maybe i am wrong. I am sick of getting embarrassed and the excuses.

I'll throw a few names out...

Chris Petersen? (Did not know about his kid's health situation)

Dave Doeren? (Lots of regional ties - KC, Wisconsin, Drake - he's a midwesterner)

Dana Holgorsen?

Gary Patterson?

I like patterson and peterson, but both seem very content where they are. Seems like both names always pop up with big jobs and they either say no, or seem uninterested. Dont know anything abot dave, seems like another experiment. Holgorsen? I guess we are already used to no defense so that could work

I want to add something. I'm not a big "get mad and demand coach X gets fired" person just because we lost. I'm not even mad. Or calling for heads. I expected this season would suck, and lo and behold, it does. The people who think we're about to win out I'm not even going to address. They're too far gone.

For the rest of us, I think Bo knows he's boxed himself in. I hope he has the clarity to look past friendship and see that his method is failing. When that happens sometimes staying the course is a bad decision, maybe even the worst of all possible decisions.

The season sucks because we're 1-1 in the big ten after losing on the road to a team 10 ranks higher than us and in the other division?

Was hoping to see some perspective and the realization that we're not in a bad position Big 10 wise, except for a relatively tough schedule. Ohio State also beat MSU, making our job easier. We showed we have strength, talent, and can make big plays as well as big mistakes, but this was not a must win game nor were we favored.

I suggest we come back down from the edge, stop acting like Iowa fans- who actually have something to really complain about, and just breathe into a paper bag for 2 weeks.

• Fire 1

So, for everyone saying we could get a better coach, lets hear some realistic names. Im not quite ready to give up on bo, but i am damn close. Im really curious, who else? Whos the hot coach? Who could restore us, realistically? I am still thinking we need stability to return to glory, maybe i am wrong. I am sick of getting embarrassed and the excuses.

Dave Doeren? (Lots of regional ties - KC, Wisconsin, Drake - he's a midwesterner)

Dana Holgorsen?

Gary Patterson?

Well let's see Petersen lost to Mich. St. had a shootout with New Mexico State, and beat Southern Miss 40-14. Patterson lost to Iowa State at home yesterday by 14 points. I really doubt Holgorsen will want to leave WVU and furthermore we still wouldn't have defense if he was our coach. Dave Doeren lost to Iowa and beat Army by one point.... wouldn't really be moving forward.

I want to add something. I'm not a big "get mad and demand coach X gets fired" person just because we lost. I'm not even mad. Or calling for heads. I expected this season would suck, and lo and behold, it does. The people who think we're about to win out I'm not even going to address. They're too far gone.

For the rest of us, I think Bo knows he's boxed himself in. I hope he has the clarity to look past friendship and see that his method is failing. When that happens sometimes staying the course is a bad decision, maybe even the worst of all possible decisions.

The season sucks because we're 1-1 in the big ten after losing on the road to a team 10 ranks higher than us and in the other division?

Was hoping to see some perspective and the realization that we're not in a bad position Big 10 wise, except for a relatively tough schedule. Ohio State also beat MSU, making our job easier. We showed we have strength, talent, and can make big plays as well as big mistakes, but this was not a must win game nor were we favored.

I suggest we come back down from the edge, stop acting like Iowa fans- who actually have something to really complain about, and just breathe into a paper bag for 2 weeks.

Tough Schedule? Says' who? The B1G is a terrible conference and is lucky that the ACC (America's Crapiest Conference) the Big Least are around to take some of the attention to how bad this conference really is. The only way you can consider it tough is if you take our HC's inability to defend mobile QB's, and then yes, you can call it tough, but that is because we don't have a competent defense.

Whether you want to admit it or not, there is a very good possibility that NU will be 4-4 when they head to Spartan Stadium.

Dana Holgorsen?

Gary Patterson?

Pete Carrol? :)

Okay not happening. But if we want to keep up with the Ohio States and Alabamas, that would be one hire that would put us on pace to do it quickly.

I remember a lot of the same post after last yrs Wisconsin game and yes i want more than 9 wins a yr but turning on the coaches is not the way to right the ship. IMO thats more of a reason to coaches dont want to come here

And if you or anyone else thinks the pressure from Nebraksa fans is any different than any other major program, then you need to get out more. Coaches don't not want to come here because our fans want us to win. That's rediculous.

I remember a lot of the same post after last yrs Wisconsin game and yes i want more than 9 wins a yr but turning on the coaches is not the way to right the ship. IMO thats more of a reason to coaches dont want to come here

Horse sh#t. I'm not gonna sit on my hands while we continuously get beat in a dishonorable fashion to maintain a pleasant demeanor for a coach who isn't even here yet. While you're in the process of accepting mediocrity.. this place is becoming less desirable to coaches for completely different reasons.

Offense is not the problem, sure better/more consistant line play would be great, but mostly it's ok. Tmart needs a strong defense. He gets rattled the horrible defensive play. Maybe he shouldn't, but that it is him. He has talent, but he cannot take the pressure for lifting the entire team.

John P has got to go for two reasons. As our recruiting coordinator, he has apparently sucked. We are slow and we have zero depth on D. He also is not a good D-coordinator- he has no experience playing or coaching. Why is he here? Because he is likeable? That is great but he belongs in the Alumni Association getting donations from boosters. I'm sure that Bo is equally responsible for this but in effort to maintain consistancy/continuity that I think our programs needs, we should try a few years with Bo as the D-Coordinator/Head Coach.

I also wonder what the deal is with recruiting. Maybe young guys don't remember our era of dominence, but when small nothing colleges can get talent, why can't we? I wonder if Bo is either putting all his money on a few big time recruits and then losing them OR maybe a part of him thinks who would want to come to Lincoln anyway so why go after the big fish OR maybe he is overlooking exceptional talent to find "team" and "likeable" guys.

Sorry if this has been covered, I havent read through the entire thread. BTW- I miss Carl

Yes, we are f'ing Nebraska. And we've created such insatiable expectations that no seasoned, established exceptional coach wants anything to do with us. So what's wrong with these guys learning on the job for a few year while we rattle off some 9 and 10 win seasons. I dont see the issue yet. It's a talent gap right now. This year is lead by his first couple of recruiting classes that were not very good(in comparison to what they need to be). That aspect has gotten better. As far as comments at a post game presser, statements like "I wish I knew" I dont lead into too much. I'll wait for the monday presser when he's had time to view film on what actually happened.

Are Nebraska fan expectations higher than LSU? Higher than Florida? Higher than Ohio State? That's a hogwash excuse and a total cop out.

I don't consider expecting not to allow 63 points to a mediocre offense to be an unrealistic expectation. I don't think many of us expect to win 3 national championships in 4 years. I do expect to win at least 1 conference championship in 5. From year 1 to year 5, very little has changed in the Pelini era. The team is a disaster against top competition, loses at least one game it shouldn't, has countless stupid penalties, turnovers, shoddy tackling.... the list goes on. Blaming the problems of the coaching staff on fan expectations is absurd. If we had lost 28-24, and played a decent game, I would be saying "Hey, sometimes you lose to good teams." But this NEVER happens with Pelini coached teams. The only 28-24 losses are to teams we have no business losing to. When we play good teams, we lose by 30.

Learning on the job is one thing. But it's been 5 years, tell me, what have demonstrated to have learned?