Evolution of the Defense

evolution.jpg

2009, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012

Speaking from a scientific viewpoint- our evolution is all sorts of f'd up at this point. About as backasswards as you can get.

2010 was much better than 2008.

Also, the guy on the far right looks like he could have great leverage.

• Fire 1

I think Pap calls most of the plays on defense.

I don't think this is the case.

Who calls the plays on defense? I just figured Paps does since he is the D-cord. Maybe i'm wrong.

If he doesn't call the plays on defense then why is Bo always chewing his ass?

I forgot to add one missing common denominator of Bo in 2003, 2008-1010.......Marvin Sanders.

I was also wondering about this. In addition to Sanders, NU lost the linebackers coach. Both units have seen performance drops, especially the linebackers. LD was great, but remember he didn't start until forced by injury.

I know something off the field caused Sanders departure, but is there any chance of getting him back?

No, it was the talent. Not that Sanders is a bad football coach by any means (though I don't think he was a recruiter - at all). 2003 we inherited a great bunch of DBs, and 2008, well, we weren't that good. From 2009 to 2010 we had Hagg, Gomes, Prince, and Dennard. Also a few smart, good safeties in that timeframe. Asante and O'Hanlon were a good pair. Courtney Osborne had a good year.

I blame the scheme personally. To run the scheme we run, you need a solid DL. You need a solid defense regardless but with a zone where there isn't much QB pressure from blitzes, you need to have a good DL to pressure the QB. To me, the defense looks soft and wide open.

And it has since Suh left, but in 3 years the defensive mastermind can't get over himself and make some adjustments to use the players he has and have a respectable showing. Our D has only looked good against sub par talent, and Wisconsin is way down this year so they fit the bill also.

I'm sorry but our D play is embarrassing! When Braxton Miller ran in his first TD and to do so he out-juked 4 Huskers, all within 5 yds to 8 yds of him, by a twist here, a pivot there, 2 steps forward, cut back, another pivot, then off to the races for the 6... made me feel fricken embrrassed for our Defense! They don't attack and swarm the ball. They don't need to dance, they need to hit and tackle, run through the player with arms wrapped around and play aggressive! Having said that, it requires a player to be in proper position, so unless this is the case, it won't happen, which is on the coaches to teach players to be where they are suppose to be!

By the way, none of our guys are good dancers... Emmit Smith would clean their clocks on "Dancing with the Stars"!