Could this be Bo's TO moment?

While Martinez may or may not be the QB to lead us to the next level, he is considerably better than Mike Grant was. Anyone suggesting otherwise just doesn't remember how poor Mike Grant was as a QB. In fact, I think several people forget how poor some of those QB's in the late 80's to early 90's really were. I've heard how Bo can't stop running QB's, but again I think most have forgotten how the likes of Jamal Holloway, Charles Thompson, and Darian Hagan torched us back in the day. Darian Hagan led his team to three victories in a row against us. Even in 1997, we had a lot of problems stopping running QB's as Corby Jones nearly upset any chance we had at a NC that year. We had to score 45 points and have a miracle catch to just hang on in that game. Martinez had a poor day, but last time I checked he doesn't play defense. Didn't the defense give up over 500 yards Saturday?

Who cares if he is better than Mike Grant? Isn't the goal to get to the next level? Thought so.. Again, that was before TO made the change.

From the 1997 MU game..

Missouri-C Jones 21-60

looks like he was kept in check don't ya think?

While Martinez may or may not be the QB to lead us to the next level, he is considerably better than Mike Grant was. Anyone suggesting otherwise just doesn't remember how poor Mike Grant was as a QB. In fact, I think several people forget how poor some of those QB's in the late 80's to early 90's really were. I've heard how Bo can't stop running QB's, but again I think most have forgotten how the likes of Jamal Holloway, Charles Thompson, and Darian Hagan torched us back in the day. Darian Hagan led his team to three victories in a row against us. Even in 1997, we had a lot of problems stopping running QB's as Corby Jones nearly upset any chance we had at a NC that year. We had to score 45 points and have a miracle catch to just hang on in that game. Martinez had a poor day, but last time I checked he doesn't play defense. Didn't the defense give up over 500 yards Saturday?

EXCELLENT post. Running QB's are a nightmare for anyone.

Who cares if he is better than Mike Grant? Isn't the goal to get to the next level? Thought so.. Again, that was before TO made the change.

From the 1997 MU game..

Missouri-C Jones 21-60

I was at the Missouri game... and while he had "only" 60 years, he extended 3-4 key drives with his legs and gave the defense fits. We almost lost... and if we had, it would have been Corby who, among others, stood out as the guy who almost put us down.

Everyone struggles against a mobile QB if that guy can as well pass.

I didn't realize Martinez was the reason we allowed 63 points and 8+ yards per play.

he didn't allow 63 points but then again neither did the defense.

EDIT: Ah, I see you changed that.. good idea.

but even to your point about 6 straight TD drive.. yes, he was part of that problem. Since he threw int's and or fumbles that caused the D to be under the gun more than it should have been.

From the 1997 MU game..

Missouri-C Jones 21-60

I was at the Missouri game... and while he had "only" 60 years, he extended 3-4 key drives with his legs and gave the defense fits. We almost lost... and if we had, it would have been Corby who, among others, stood out as the guy who almost put us down.

Everyone struggles against a mobile QB if that guy can as well pass.

Really? everyone? How did MSU do against OSU?

EDIT: I am not saying, nor have I said, that Taylor was the main problem, he is "part" of the problem.

Let me do some simple math

63-14=49

49>38

This is not on Taylor. He has 4 INT's in 6 games...

Was Taylor bad on Saturday... Yes.. But he wasnt the MAIN reason we lost.. He isnt the reason we lost to UCLA..

Did he help the problems? No...

But to sit here and say there is a better option on this team is flat out stupid. Tommie Armstrong does not turn this team in to a 5-1 or 6-0 team.

We are a 4-2 team with anyone we have on our roster at QB.

Our problem is the fact that we have a first time O and D coordinator.

Bo needs to hire vet coaches around him.

• Fire 1

My point wasn't that running QB's give everyone fits rather it was that running QB's has given nearly every Nebraska coaching staff fits over the last four decades. The point about Martinez is rather Nebraska won games in spite of Mike Grant rather than because of him. With Martinez, it's different. We have won games because of Martinez not in spite of him. Martinez needs to play better than he did Saturday, but our defense if they don't get it together will give the 07' defense a run for their money.

Let me do some simple math

63-14=49

49>38

This is not on Taylor. He has 4 INT's in 6 games...

Was Taylor bad on Saturday... Yes.. But he wasnt the MAIN reason we lost.. He isnt the reason we lost to UCLA..

Did he help the problems? No...

But to sit here and say there is a better option on this team is flat out stupid. Tommie Armstrong does not turn this team in to a 5-1 or 6-0 team.

We are a 4-2 team with anyone we have on our roster at QB.

Our problem is the fact that we have a first time O and D coordinator.

Bo needs to hire vet coaches around him.

Actually, I believe we are 3-3 with another QB at the helm. I don't think we come back against Wisconsin and win that game without Martinez.

• Fire 1

HAHAHA, more people blaming Taylor for a loss. Get over it. Yes, throwing 3 INT's is not helping the cause, but you scored 38 points!!! One, ONE of his INT's went for a pick 6! Its the defenses job to keep them out of the endzone, and they simply did not succeed. How about giving him some credit, for an offensive line that couldn't stop shaking and causing false starts or holding. 3rd and 30 on an opening drive?! You have to be kidding me, where is the discipline?

The defense was non existent after the 1st quarter. This comes down to Coach K and the defense here. We stopped shooting gaps, we stopped the dline pressure and creating a pocket around Miller, to prevent him from cutting East/West. Execution was not a factor on Saturday.

I just don't get why its so easy for people to jump on the wagon and blame Taylor for this loss. Yes, if he didn't throw 3 INT's we would have been closer, but add the 21 points, we still would have lost.... why? NO DEFENSE!

• Fire 1

I seem to remember Taylor running around in the pocket trying to make a play countless times against Ohio State. I also seem to remember Taylor taking a shot and while the team was backed up close to our end zone and completing a deep ball to either Bell or Turner.

Yes, he turned the ball over, a lot. But come on; there are issues far more pressing than Taylor.

• Fire 1

I seem to remember Taylor running around in the pocket trying to make a play countless times against Ohio State. I also seem to remember Taylor taking a shot and while the team was backed up close to our end zone and completing a deep ball to either Bell or Turner.

Yes, he turned the ball over, a lot. But come on; there are issues far more pressing than Taylor.

Well stated! Offensive line and defense needs worked on. We need consistency. This comes down to coaching and executing. Am I saying fire coaches? No, because that is not what we need. Everyone wanted to fire Beck after last year, but look what he has done. Coach K deserves that same chance in my opinion.

One, ONE of his INT's went for a pick 6!

First time I've ever seen that exclaimed as a good thing :lol:

Not strictly blaming Taylor for the loss. It was like most, a team loss. There are obviously a lot of things to fix on defense. Doesn't mean that this isn't something to consider on offense. I'm in favor of giving Taylor more rope, but as I said, he has a lot to prove at this point.

One, ONE of his INT's went for a pick 6!

First time I've ever seen that exclaimed as a good thing :lol:

Not strictly blaming Taylor for the loss. It was like most, a team loss. There are obviously a lot of things to fix on defense. Doesn't mean that this isn't something to consider on offense. I'm in favor of giving Taylor more rope, but as I said, he has a lot to prove at this point.

It is when there was 3 thrown lol. Just saying, you can take those 7 points off, and it was still a whooping.

One thing I will give Taylor, is he got blocked hard trying to tackle that guy after that INT. Kids got heart, and a lot of room for improvement. Oline and Dline need work. Doesn't help when our hardcore talent isn't 100% and/or red shirted.