Bo has not won one big game

The glaring caveat to that, Lando, is that losses tend to drop teams from the rankings. So when we beat a ranked team, we're contributing to them dropping out of the rankings. It's a tiny catch-22, but a catch-22 nonetheless.

You're right. But in my opinion, neither number is impressive so it doesn't much matter how you want to look at it...6-11 or 3-14 against ranked opponents. In my opinion, both are below what Nebraska standards should be.

So what are "Nebraska standards"? I'm sure everyone has a different idea but I see a lot of people who want to compare TO at this point in his career to Bo...TO almost getting run out of town and aren't we glad he didn't and we should look at Bo the same way, etc. Let's take a look at these same stats for Osborne's first 4.5 years and see how they stack up. And don't give me that Bo's cupboard was bare and Tom's wasn't. Bo inherited plenty of talent. Looking at only games against ranked opponents at the time of the game...

Dude, not for nothing, but that plenty of talent went 5-7 the year before and was an unmittigated dumpster fire.

So, we see that Bo is 6-11 against ranked opponents. Osborne was 11-7 against ranked opponents through the same point in his career.

Which would tell us something if Bo and Tom had both started off with teams that had just won back-to-back national championships. Unfortunately, Bo didn't have that luxury.

exactly, all of these comparisons are futile. bo is coaching a different team in a different world. what we need to be doing is judging bo given his circumstances. bo has made some mistakes, but does that make him a bad coach? everyone talking about new coaches need to get a grip and realize the huge risk that is, especially when we have a coach that shows potential. it is better to invest time in bo rather than money in some unknown commodity.

if we are being fair to bo, we will judge him as a first time head coach who inherited an abysmal, truly embarrassing team. you can judge him by his highs and lows, i will judge him by his seasons and the direction of the team. it may appear the team has stagnated, but the problem with a mistake in recruiting is that it takes 3 years to figure our and can take as long to fix. bo seems to be in the right direction.

does anyone disagree our offense is worse than when bo started (think 2009)? does anyone think that bo honestly forgot how to coach defense? we have a promising offense, a coach who knows defense, all he has to do is get his players. make a few minor tweaks regarding consistency and discipline. fix our confidence problem. there is something larger at work when we are on the road in big games that needs to get figured out. but if you do not see promise in bo as a head coach, you will be calling for our coach's head after every 5 years until no coach in america will want to take the vacancy.

Solich got us to a National title in 4 years, so do not compare him to BO. You are ridiculous to think Bo is a better coach than Frank. Look what Frank did to Ohio (undefeated).

Solich backed into that title game. The memories not doing so good is it, because we got flat out handled by sCUm in Boulder to the tune of 36-62...

Solich got us to a National title in 4 years, so do not compare him to BO. You are ridiculous to think Bo is a better coach than Frank. Look what Frank did to Ohio (undefeated).

Solich backed into that title game. The memories not doing so good is it, because we got flat out handled by sCUm in Boulder to the tune of 36-62...

and how long did it take frank to get ohio to where it is. the point you make is that it takes time for a first time head coach to figure it out. be patient with bo and maybe he can do to nu what solich did to ohio, albeit much more challenging.

The glaring caveat to that, Lando, is that losses tend to drop teams from the rankings. So when we beat a ranked team, we're contributing to them dropping out of the rankings. It's a tiny catch-22, but a catch-22 nonetheless.

You're right. But in my opinion, neither number is impressive so it doesn't much matter how you want to look at it...6-11 or 3-14 against ranked opponents. In my opinion, both are below what Nebraska standards should be.

So what are "Nebraska standards"? I'm sure everyone has a different idea but I see a lot of people who want to compare TO at this point in his career to Bo...TO almost getting run out of town and aren't we glad he didn't and we should look at Bo the same way, etc. Let's take a look at these same stats for Osborne's first 4.5 years and see how they stack up. And don't give me that Bo's cupboard was bare and Tom's wasn't. Bo inherited plenty of talent. Looking at only games against ranked opponents at the time of the game...

UCLA - W - 10

NC St - W - 14

Missouri - L - 12

Kansas - W - 18

Colorado - W - 17

Oklahoma - L - 3

Texas - W - 8

Kansas - W - 13

Oklahoma - L - 1

Florida - W - 18

Missouri - W - 12

Oklahoma - L - 7

Arizona St - L 7

Missouri - L - 17

Oklahoma St - W - 13

Oklahoma - L - 8

Texas Tech - W - 9

Alabama - W - 4

So, we see that Bo is 6-11 against ranked opponents. Osborne was 11-7 against ranked opponents through the same point in his career.

You are right. Osborne had to pick up the pieces there in 1973. I mean, what did we do in 1972....horrible. 9-2. A year removed from winning back-to-back national titles.

Meanwhile, Bo Pelini inherited an awesome 5-7 team from Bill Callahan. And the defense was that of legend. The fact that Pelini wasn't able to set the world on fire in 2008 can only mean one thing.... complete incompetence. :sarcasm

I love when people bring up that game. Colorado was ranked. That should be noted. Plus, they had a great plan against us and definitely caught us at a weak moment. Call it a trap game or whatever. It isn't the first time an accomplished team got rolled by a lesser and yet rated foe. It won't be the last. And it should also be noted that you, me, the rest of Husker Nation....NOT ONE OF US saw that one coming.

I love when people bring up that game. Colorado was ranked. That should be noted. Plus, they had a great plan against us and definitely caught us at a weak moment. Call it a trap game or whatever. It isn't the first time an accomplished team got rolled by a lesser and yet rated foe. It won't be the last. And it should also be noted that you, me, the rest of Husker Nation....NOT ONE OF US saw that one coming.

After the CU game in 2001 I was devastated for weeks.

After the OSU game on Saturday I turned the channel to How it's made on Science Channel.

My expectations have fallen dramatically. After reading this thread it sure sounds like that is true for most of us.

It's hard for me to not be frustrated here when I went to Vtech 09'...Cowboys stadium both times...Drove to A&M...Drove to Michigan...And flew to Ohio this past weekend. I barely get disappointed anymore because it's what I expect our team to do is lose these games.

Really? If I were you with your downer attitude I'd just stay home.

T_O_B

:bigredn:

I don't really want to get into this pi$$ing contest, but I would like to bring up a few points. Yes, Bo didn't inherit a team that had won a couple NC in a row. However, IMO Bo's best team since he's been here was in 2009 with you know who's talent. I'd hate to even think about our team this year going up against that 09' squad. If Solich's demise was strictly due to recruiting, it would be more appropriate to be comparing Bo to Solich at this juncture as neither seem to be world beaters here. Second, Ohio was extremely poor when Solich got there. The four years prior to Solich taking over the program, they went 11-35. Those four years prior, Oho never was bowl eligible and never had even close to a winning record. Even Jim Grobe who some wanted to replace Clownahan didn't enjoy as much success at Ohio as Solich has. Ohio has only been to six bowl games, and Solich has led them to four of those.

It's probably not a great idea to compare any of the coaches because they all bring different things to the table and coached in different eras. The only thing that really concerns me about where we're at right now is some of the woodshed beatings we've taken the last couple of years. If one is honest, Wisconsin and Michigan last year were not world beaters. Ohio State isn't a world beater either. The great thing Ohio State has going for them is that they're playing in a weak conference and don't have play one of the big boys in a bowl game. Ohio State is a nice little team, but they don't hold a candle to a handful of SEC teams. Some of the beatings we've taken last year and now this year are very similar to the woodshed beating we took to Mizzou in 08'. I can take losing, but it's gutwrenching watching a game where it appears we don't even belong on the field. However, this is a familiar feeling even when TO was coach. There was a long stretch in there where every time we played a team from the state of Florida it appeared we didn't belong on the field.

I don't even know if I'd say CU was a lesser foe. There were many national pundits that felt CU should have played Miami in that NC game. I remember them lobbying extremely hard to get there.

I remember that year I was really hoping that Oregon and Miami would meet for the title and that Nebraska would be sent to the Fiesta, to rematch with Colorado. Had the Huskers went down to Tempe and avenged that loss to CU, Nebraska history might have played out a lot differently.