Offense vs. Defense

I know there have been multiple threads about what is wrong with the program but I have been thinking about this for some time and didn't really find a thread it fit into.

If you think about it, when Bo took over the program, the offense was clicking along and the defense was struggling. His first task was to fix the defense and within a short period of time all of a sudden we had a stud defense that was loaded with talent and that basically shut down everyone. The problem was that we had an offense then that was struggling and couldn't score so we lost some games mainly because we didn't have play makers on offense.

That meant that his attention then went to fixing the offense. Within a couple of years we have improvements on offense and they are scoring many points because we are loaded with play makers on offense but now the defense is struggling because they don't have play makers.

Which leads me to my question. Are our problems based around the fact that Bo is having a hard time balancing the talent on both sides of the ball? Should have some of the talent on the offense been switched to the defense in the last year or two to balance it out?

Is there more of a balance coming down the road with the young guys we have on both sides of the ball?

I honestly believe that now that the offense is probably fine on its own with Beck, that Bo will turn more attention to defense. It's been said that he's done this prior to this season, so maybe we just havent seen the results yet. Or maybe the naysayers are right and he really doesnt know how anymore. It to me is just another part of learning to be a head coach and being able to juggle all three phases at once as opposed to focusing on one.

Its Bo's job to hire the help to balance the two out. He is still in his trial and error with coaches, and the right actions have been taken. Shawn Watson gone, Beck in. Many were skeptical, but we have a very diverse offense. It didn't help with Carl leaving for our defense, but he promoted some guys at the end of last season, and brought it some great talent that will help with our recruiting.

Sure many state we have waited 4 years, now 5, but we are progressing, many are just numb to the "building" but that is what Bo is doing. Coach Kaz has and will help with the line. Vincent Valentine and Aaron Curry, (If they stay healthy while being red shirted, will make a huge impact along with Chase Rome on the DL. We have recruited and remain recruiting some fast LB's, and it will pay off. Terry Joseph has us ranked at 13th for our passing D, which is the best its been since Amakamura and company left. Safety spot is the weakest we have in the secondary, but again, we have kids to fill shoes when our starters leave, IE: Johathan Rose taking Stafford's position next year. DB, we are stacked and will remain stacked.

I honestly believe that now that the offense is probably fine on its own with Beck, that Bo will turn more attention to defense. It's been said that he's done this prior to this season, so maybe we just havent seen the results yet. Or maybe the naysayers are right and he really doesnt know how anymore. It to me is just another part of learning to be a head coach and being able to juggle all three phases at once as opposed to focusing on one.

Perfectly said!

I would add the change in conference has added to our defensive struggle. The players that Pelini recruited were for his Peso Defense to stop the quick passing Offenses in the Big 12. The DL's are a little small & so are the LB's.

To me it looks like we tryed to bulk up are smaller defensive player to play against the power/spread teams of the Big 10 only to make them larger & slower. I think there will be some major changes in our defense to adapt to the new style of offense we will see in the Big 10 vs the Big 12. I am really hoping that we will see a switch to a base 3-4 & that is why Pelini has gone after so many Lb's in the last 18 months.

I still think Pelini will get this defense back to where it was a couple of years ago, but when we switched conferences we didn't get to change the players we had on defense. I know some will say it shouldn't matter the defense should be able to stop any offense no matter the scheme, but i think you base your defense around the style you see the most & make small changes for out of conference games.

I would add the change in conference has added to our defensive struggle. The players that Pelini recruited were for his Peso Defense to stop the quick passing Offenses in the Big 12. The DL's are a little small & so are the LB's.

To me it looks like we tryed to bulk up are smaller defensive player to play against the power/spread teams of the Big 10 only to make them larger & slower. I think there will be some major changes in our defense to adapt to the new style of offense we will see in the Big 10 vs the Big 12. I am really hoping that we will see a switch to a base 3-4 & that is why Pelini has gone after so many Lb's in the last 18 months.

I still think Pelini will get this defense back to where it was a couple of years ago, but when we switched conferences we didn't get to change the players we had on defense. I know some will say it shouldn't matter the defense should be able to stop any offense no matter the scheme, but i think you base your defense around the style you see the most & make small changes for out of conference games.

I think Pelini is being pressured more by Papuchis about the 3-4, and sees it more now than he did before. I have always been a fan of the 3-4 defense, but I am also one not up for change. Doesn't mean moving defensive scheme is going to make us magically better, because we still have issues with tackling and executing your role on the field. Misreads are killing us, and its frustrating Bo, as you seen on the sideline. Its unexcusable for our leaders (seniors) to be making those mistakes, but the one thing you can't teach, is instinct. Some players have it, some don't. Lavonte David had it, Compton doesn't. Compton is a good player, and I am not taking credit away from him, but he isn't elite, like we are use to having each year. Suh, David, Amakamura, Gomez, Dennard, Crick (when he was healthy), Hagg, Rudd family and Groce.

Perfectly said!

Perfectly said!

And why did NU decide to hire a guy with no experience who had to learn on the job at NU. It would have made more sense to hire an experienced proven coach who could already do this balancing act (as well as a dozen or more other things) rather than hire a guy who will cut his teeth at the expense of your program.

I am clearly on that side that says the Bo is unfit to be a head coach. I said the same thing the day he was hired. It was a mistake to hire a guy w/o any experience. Simple and certain. Hire proven experience and nothing else... or, live with the growing pains... which is what we are doing now.

I think Pelini is being pressured more by Papuchis about the 3-4, and sees it more now than he did before. I have always been a fan of the 3-4 defense, but I am also one not up for change. Doesn't mean moving defensive scheme is going to make us magically better, because we still have issues with tackling and executing your role on the field. Misreads are killing us, and its frustrating Bo, as you seen on the sideline. Its unexcusable for our leaders (seniors) to be making those mistakes, but the one thing you can't teach, is instinct. Some players have it, some don't. Lavonte David had it, Compton doesn't. Compton is a good player, and I am not taking credit away from him, but he isn't elite, like we are use to having each year. Suh, David, Amakamura, Gomez, Dennard, Crick (when he was healthy), Hagg, Rudd family and Groce.

I agree, it will not make us magically better & it will take time to get the players need to run a 3-4, but as most know it is easier to find a stud LB then it is to find a stud DL. I also think some of NU's tackling problems have to do with weight gain & loss of speed & some is just very poor technique.

I aslo agree about tackling. It doesn't matter what scheme or players we have if they can't make tackles.

All in all I think Pelini's defense is in a change mode, maybe not to a 3-4, but I think there will be some differences in our scheme/base over the next few seasons to adjust for the difference in style & I just hope he gets the time to complete it.

Perfectly said!

And why did NU decide to hire a guy with no experience who had to learn on the job at NU. It would have made more sense to hire an experienced proven coach who could already do this balancing act (as well as a dozen or more other things) rather than hire a guy who will cut his teeth at the expense of your program.

I am clearly on that side that says the Bo is unfit to be a head coach. I said the same thing the day he was hired. It was a mistake to hire a guy w/o any experience. Simple and certain. Hire proven experience and nothing else... or, live with the growing pains... which is what we are doing now.

Yep, Callahan was proven that experience pays off :rolleyes:

Osborne=success after a period of time= First gig at HC

Solich= successful record/career= First gig at HC

Callahan= FAILURE= Previous HC experience

Bo= 70% win ratio after turning a program around from its worst 4 seasons in school history= First gig at HC

Devaney is the only coach to come to NU with previous experience and do fantastic, but then again, it took time. Something majority of our society/fan base doesn't understand.

Callahan probably had the best recruiting classes we have ever had, but also showed that great talent can easily be wasted.

I am on the oppisite side. I understood there would be some growing pains, but thought Pelini would be a great coach with sometime under his belt. I also cut him a little slack due to the conference change. I'm still on the Pelini wagon for a couple more years, but understand their will be some who will only be satisfied with confernece championships as a off year.

I thought the gyrations in offense and defense performance over the years were interesting also. Our offense is significantly different from last year so it needs some fine tuning to clean up the turnovers and dumb mistakes but I consider it a good offense. If you make a team using our defense from 3 or 4 years ago with this offense where does that put us? I say easily a top 15 team. I take solace in knowing that Bo was head coach for both of these teams. I expect that he will be able to put together a complete team and it could happen soon.

Let me ask a serious question. I have heard a lot of folks talk about switching D to stop the Big XII to stopping the B1G has hurt. IMO, it is not the offensive schemes that are different, it is NU. Who in the B1G runs this fearful, bruising rushing attack? To look at the stats it looks like NU. From what I understand, we have tried to recruit faster LB's and bigger DB's. Why not stick with the girl who you brought to the dance? The PESO. IIRC, it was created to specifically keep Haag on the field. Worked well for him and NU. Why not go back to that as the base? It would give us speed and athleticism. If what we here is true about the young LB's they have the speed to run side line to side line and cover RB's out of the backfield.

We seem to have a great crop of DB's and are possibly losing by not finding a way to get the young talent on the field. SJB, Jackson, Green, Cooper, Osbourne, Smith, Stafford etc...... Seem like that speed could pose problems to the other teams like others speed has posed issues to us. Speed can also help cover up some scheme and fundamental issues.