Bo's Job Security?

So, I'm curious...as my wife has been no help when I asked.

Bo's been around what? 4 years? 5? He has had some pretty impressive success with 9-10 wins a season, yet never cracking the Top 15 or winning a Conference Title. Let's say this continues for the next 5-10 years. Consistently ranked 16-25, no conference wins, yet 9 or 10 wins (including bowls) per season.

Is this enough to keep his job? I like him, I just don't see any real improvement over the past couple seasons?

Yes he's had successful seasons and some good wins. Me personally wouldnt say 9-10 wins in a season isnt anything exciting. More like how to camoflauge a four loss season. I think if we played 11 game schedule the results would be around 7-4 each year. A few extra cupcake games that make you sometimes yawn will push the win total up. And if we don't get creamed in some of these loses, we still look respectable for the most part. I don't think Bo is on the hot seat, but he is prolly feeling the heat. And why not? We hate losing, we'll never get used to it. One loss stings and two loses ruin the season in some ways.

His job is safe in my opinion. I think he might leave someday and take his OTJ learning experience somewhere else and do an even better job. But he won't get booted unless he goes all bezerk on TV while having a bad year that hovers around .500. I always felt the hire was more of a buffer deal. We had it so bad before him, we just wanted someone to believe in the traditions, play tough defense, be respectful and respected, and be competitive. Some of that has happened, some remains a rollercoaster ride. We just want to see this team represent and hopefully get back into the top 10 constistantly. But unfortunately that's how crummy it has gotten. Have to say "hopefully". Kind of tired of hoping. It should have been done by now.

Hey man welcome back btw! Wasn't your wife a Husker fan IIRC?

She is :) along with my brother in law, sister in law, mother in law, and father in law...and she still won't come with me to any Aggie games if it conflicts with a Husker one! :D

You married a good woman then. :D

So, I'm curious...as my wife has been no help when I asked.

Bo's been around what? 4 years? 5? He has had some pretty impressive success with 9-10 wins a season, yet never cracking the Top 15 or winning a Conference Title. Let's say this continues for the next 5-10 years. Consistently ranked 16-25, no conference wins, yet 9 or 10 wins (including bowls) per season.

Is this enough to keep his job? I like him, I just don't see any real improvement over the past couple seasons?

Well he's done a better job than Mike Sherman.

She is :) along with my brother in law, sister in law, mother in law, and father in law...and she still won't come with me to any Aggie games if it conflicts with a Husker one! :D

Don't feel so bad...taking a backseat to Husker Nation is the only order the world follows chuckleshuffle

PS. Tell your QB to transfer to N before the nation catches on and realizes that the dude is the real deal :worship

Unless TO and/or Perlman are playing this very close to the chest and sack Bo after this season, I think he should have a solid 3, maybe 4 years guaranteed. TOs job was to come in, right the ship, then phase out when they felt comfortable with the athletic department.

However, in a sick to my stomach way, I could see him getting sacked after this season and already knows it. My conspiracy theory:

Let's say the rumors of TO and HP are true. Eichorst interviewed with HP around the time of UCLA loss. Right after that loss Papuchis goes off on booster at the breakfast. TO apologizes to booster to smooth things over and meets with Bo. Bo has out of the blue health issue on gameday due to whatever TO and him spoke about, terrible UCLA showing...bottom line, stress. Impromptu press conference right before conference opener?? Seems like an uncharacteristic action, there haven't been too many surprises since TO became AD and the quote about being old and out of touch. Then the rumor of TO and BP being upset because they weren't bigger players in the hiring process. Obviously TO would squash that rumor, that would completely freak out Husker Nation. Bo's response when asked about the new AD before the OSU game. Another embarrassing loss and Bo just saying flatly they have to win out. A combination of boosters, team performance, and Bo's attitude, forces HP to phase out TO to bring in a new guy to sack Bo bc TO won't.

Probably and hopefully not the case, but I've heard of stranger things happening. I'd be sick to my stomach and probably stop following Husker football if this were to happen. Now for my optimistic view.

Reasons why he is good:

3-4 more years allows for his best classes to mature and become upperclassmen. The classes weren't ranked high because of being smaller classes, but the players they got have high ceilings. LBs from '12, Charles Jackson/jonathan rose, VV&AC and Mac&Moss. Afalava, aka mr boombastic aka mr lova lova, is gonna be a stud. JWesty sounds like he will be WR of future but we'll need a guy like Enunwa who is a big target and can block too. Imani is going to be a bruiser that we haven't had in decades and presumably Tommy Armstrong leading the offense, a TRUE QB. TM reminds me of J Lord who was supposed to be a S but Carl Crawford went MLB instead so they converted JL. NEB has had terrible luck with QBs decommitting or transferring over the years. Personally, I don't know how well off our young OL depth is, but that's my biggest concern. Desperate need for TEs and I think we have ???s at safety too. I think they're different breeds of players than upperclassmen now. Faster LBs, bigger/physical DBs, space eaters on the interior DL and power/speed on the outsides. From what I've read, Matt Davison said, TA sounds like he is a leader and someone not afraid to take command and can actually play, a big upgrade from TM (nothing against him). Gives the coaches that much more time to develop and gain experience while figuring out this conference and not playing the top 4 teams every year.

I will say this, under Bo we have played in two conference championships and darn near won one of those, and was well in the lead but slipped later in the game on the other. We need to give Bo a chance now that he is coaching his own recruits. I want to see that Bo is happy to be the Head Football Coach of NU. If he isn't committed to coaching here or doesn't like all of the ancilliary duties and responsibilities of a head coach, then he should pack his bags and go. With the exception of Callahan, every NU coach since Devaney has embraced the job and gave 110 percent to winning with class. It will be interesting to see how the future will play out with a new AD coming on board. If Bo cannot right the ship in the very near future, I could see a change coming, especially without the top cover of Dr Tom.