"Football Smarts". Will we get it, or is it too late?

We have a good offense, but we have an inconsistent offense. They too often become their own worst enemy. When we clean up our own mistakes, then we will be fearsome. But we haven't done that yet.

This would be a good game to have that "perfect storm" of no turnovers, no penalties, no blown assignments, no blocking your own guys, etc. If that happens, I don't think Michigan can outscore us on the road.

This is not a bash any particular player or coach post. I do not want anyone benched and I do not want anyone fired. Well, maybe the special teams coach should at least have a very warm seat.

I guess what has bothered me more than anything this year is that the team does not seem to be very "football smart". Not judging their off-the-field intelligence as I am sure they are just fine.

Abdullah and Bell with their eyes upfield when "attempting" to catch a punt. After they have called a fair catch.

Stafford's personal foul on what would have been a key, early turnover in NW territory.

Having Colter hemmed in, but letting him slip between you and your fellow defender that you could have been holding hands with. (happened at least twice).

Martinez attempting a very low percentage side-line pass on 3rd and 3 when he could have walked for a first down.

Reed going the wrong way on a crucial 4th down play.

An OL getting called for not lining up on the line of scrimmage after it had already been called once earlier in the game.

Not just this last game, not just just plays, and not just these players. Is it all coaching, or will some just not "get it"?

Should the players be required to attend Football 101? I would think actually playing would be a 400 level class, but maybe some snuck in without the prerequisites.

Very frustrating, and that is what has bothered me the most this year.

That too me showed the lack of focus and why Reed didn't start early last year or maybe he just did not pay attention in the huddle and that's why Pelini didn't have confidence in him.

We have a good offense, but we have an inconsistent offense. They too often become their own worst enemy. When we clean up our own mistakes, then we will be fearsome. But we haven't done that yet.

This would be a good game to have that "perfect storm" of no turnovers, no penalties, no blown assignments, no blocking your own guys, etc. If that happens, I don't think Michigan can outscore us on the road.

This. We're not a great offense because of those inconsistent plays. I think it's asking way too much to have zero penalties. They happen. We'll more than likely get at least one holding call. I'm also sure we'll have a play or two where there will be a missed assignment because every team has them. However, it is imperative we have no turnovers and limit everything else listed.

This. We're not a great offense because of those inconsistent plays. I think it's asking way too much to have zero penalties. They happen. We'll more than likely get at least one holding call. I'm also sure we'll have a play or two where there will be a missed assignment because every team has them. However, it is imperative we have no turnovers and limit everything else listed.

Even turnovers happen. This teams are just always at what seems like the worse time. We had OSU on their heals. Look at the UCLA game. This game sums up the offense for me. A lot can be said about the defense here, but look at the 4th quarter.

Tie ballgame. Maher misses a FG. Defense gets a stop after 7 plays and 3:21. First play Taylor sacked for a safety (turnover). UCLA goes up by 2. Defense right back on the field, they get lucky and UCLA misses a FG. 3 plays, 3 incomplete passes and the defense which can't stop anything is back on the field after 23 seconds of offense. They give up some yards, but on a crucial 3rd down the sack Hundley putting them out of FG range. Force another punt after 7 plays and 3:03. 2 plays, incomplete pass and Taylor throws an interception (turnover). Defense right back on the field after 16 seconds of offense. UCLA now only needs 16 yards, they get it in a little over a minute. Bell makes a big return to UCLA 36. incomplete pass, rush, rush, penalty, FG good 28 seconds of clock. Game over.

That is why the offense is not "one of the best offenses in the country" As bad as the defense was against UCLA, they held in the 4th quarter when they needed to. Our offense handed UCLA 9 points through the interception and the safety, and couldn't generate anything but a late field goal themselves. TOP 4th quarter: NU:4:08, UCLA 10:52. UCLA had 6 penalties for 60 yards in that quarter, gave up a long return...and still came out on top w/ us converting 1 of 4 3rd downs.

And the defense held the 3rd quarter as well. The only 3 points came off a fumble (turnover) by abdullah to start the half, which gave them 28 yard field to work with and the defense stopped them 1st and goal at the 4.

This is not a bash any particular player or coach post. I do not want anyone benched and I do not want anyone fired. Well, maybe the special teams coach should at least have a very warm seat.

I guess what has bothered me more than anything this year is that the team does not seem to be very "football smart". Not judging their off-the-field intelligence as I am sure they are just fine.

Abdullah and Bell with their eyes upfield when "attempting" to catch a punt. After they have called a fair catch.- This has to do with them being young, and not knowing how to stay calm. They are trying to catch, while looking for that route they want to run, as well at the same time trying to make sure they aren't going to have a cheap hit put on them. Like I said, they are young, mistakes are going to happen. They are true sophomores. Sure you can expect that not to happen since they are starters, but they are the best we have, they earned it, and maturity comes with experience. Time will help them be better decision makers.

Stafford's personal foul on what would have been a key, early turnover in NW territory.- The kid plays hard, but doesn't think with his brain when he is on the field. Not only has he had two VERY numb skull calls so far, but he consistantly misreads the offense and gets caught on a fake, and out of his route. One play to be exact, that 80 yard run at the beginning of the 3rd by Venric Martin. He is a hard hitter, and can tackle, but poor decision making skills in my opinion.

Having Colter hemmed in, but letting him slip between you and your fellow defender that you could have been holding hands with. (happened at least twice).- We contained Colter very well. 14 carries for 34 yards if I remember correctly. You can't stop the guy every time. We did very well, and to nit pick off two, what you call bad plays, is just odd.

Martinez attempting a very low percentage side-line pass on 3rd and 3 when he could have walked for a first down.- You can't expect 100% play calling throughout a game. Its impossible. There was something Beck saw that you didn't, that he thought would be an easy first down. It obviously didn't work, but play calling was superb during that game. For a matter of fact, the play calling has been quite good all year.

Reed going the wrong way on a crucial 4th down play.- Lack of communication is something Martinez fixed throughout the game. Look at the last 3 drives. This isn't something the coaches can really do, but communication relies completely on the leader, that being Martinez.

An OL getting called for not lining up on the line of scrimmage after it had already been called once earlier in the game.- This is something that is all judged per ref. Some allow you to line up further off the line than others. Actually, this call is rarely ever called. Many OL coaches tell their players to adjust themselves the best way they can to help keep the pocket from collapsing. The line judge was obviously a stickler on that rule.

Funniest thing I saw, is you complained about everything that really isn't an issue. Our offense is one of the best in the nation. Our BIGGEST problem, are turnovers. Tim Beck even stated, they recite this every day, they run drills, and they are doing all they can to keep the ball off the ground. Again, its maturity. Don't believe me, look at Taylor. He has yet to fumble it as many times as he did his Freshman and Sophomore year.

The lack of football "smarts" is blatantly obvious and we are certainly not one of the best offenses in the country. We have the potential to have a very very good offense, however, watch an Oregon game sometime and you will see how far we still are from being a top tier offensive team.

Didn't think I said we had the BEST offense in the country... Oh wait... I didn't. Look up offense rankings, then come back. If your that blind to not realize that we have one of the best offenses, then there isn't much I can say.

We don't, I don't need to look it up, I watch football.

I do as well... what's your point? You disagreed with what I said, I gave you proof and a reason why, if you disagree, then so be it. We are all entitled to our own opinions. I am just glad I am not the only person to think this.

Your watching the wrong games

I gave you statistic proof, which none of it was exaggerated. There is obviously nothing else to say, because you guys are so set in your own ways, you can't see anything that is good, especially when its in front of you. I never knew my opinion that "we are ONE of the best offenses in the nation" could be "unquantifiable", even though our stats prove what I am saying. SURE turnovers are an issue, but last week, 2/3 turnovers came from Special Teams, not the offense. One came from a guy that really NEVER turns the ball over. Our offense is obviously getting better and could put points against ANY defense out there. Northwestern was highly ranked against the rush attack, and what did we do? We ran the ball VERY well. We even threw the ball very well. I guess us putting points, rushing and throwing, against OSU and Wisconsin doesn't count either, even though they have a good defense.

The lack of football "smarts" is blatantly obvious and we are certainly not one of the best offenses in the country. We have the potential to have a very very good offense, however, watch an Oregon game sometime and you will see how far we still are from being a top tier offensive team.

Your watching the wrong games

and kchusker, please explain how any of his comments aren't an unquantifiable opinion...