Offense in the red zone

NU is 20th in the country with RZ efficiency. We score approximately 89% of the time. (38 trips with 34 scores) I cannot remember if we go in the RZ against UCLA and didn't score, but that was one game where points for us would have made the difference.

Some teams ahead of us are no brainers, but some are surprising. Looks like we are towards the upper end with trips into the RZ at 38. Louisiana Tech appears the highest at 58 trips and 86% efficiency. Bama number 1 at 35 trips with 97%. (I think they are #1 in about every category). They are one fundamentally sound team top to bottom in all phases of the game for sure.

Pretty good stuff here:

http://www.ncaa.com/...rrent/team/1038

Has stats on every statistic you can imagine.

I agree with you that as up and down as we have been we need to get something for sure.

1st and Goal on the 4 and we have an injuried QB run 2 yards and then two consecutive passing plays? Doesn't make any sense.

Line up with two fullbacks (Marrow and Janovich) and Ameer and have them play hard nose football and run it up the gut. Lots of Husker fans in my section were pretty upset with the play calling on that drive.

• Fire 1

I can't stand this one bullsh#t motion dive play that NU always, always runs.

I think there was an actual play action off of it last time v Michigan.

But I just feel like there has to be something other than the most obvious slam/dive play ever --- goaline 3TE set, and the widest Te goes in motion across the field, then runs back, and chops his feet waiting for the play to snap in the exact spot where the ball is going.

I think that's just an ugly play, and I'd never call it if I were coahing or pretending to coach in a video game.

There have been a few times where NU has used it back to back, getting stuffed both times... and I wish that wasn't our 'go to run play' for short yardage.

ugh.

I'll look to see if they did do a playaction off of it..

I can't stand this one bullsh#t motion dive play that NU always, always runs.

I think there was an actual play action off of it last time v Michigan.

But I just feel like there has to be something other than the most obvious slam/dive play ever --- goaline 3TE set, and the widest Te goes in motion across the field, then runs back, and chops his feet waiting for the play to snap in the exact spot where the ball is going.

I think that's just an ugly play, and I'd never call it if I were coahing or pretending to coach in a video game.

There have been a few times where NU has used it back to back, getting stuffed both times... and I wish that wasn't our 'go to run play' for short yardage.

ugh.

I'll look to see if they did do a playaction off of it..

Last night showed Beck is still learning for sure and/or has a lot more learning to do. We have so many weapons, I wish he would use them in less obvious ways such as the play you referenced above.

1st and Goal on the 4 and we have an injuried QB run 2 yards and then two consecutive passing plays? Doesn't make any sense. Line up with two fullbacks (Marrow and Janovich) and Ameer and have them play hard nose football and run it up the gut. Lots of Husker fans in my section were pretty upset with the play calling on that drive.

This. This. This. This. This.

Run the damn ball.

1st and Goal on the 4 and we have an injuried QB run 2 yards and then two consecutive passing plays? Doesn't make any sense. Line up with two fullbacks (Marrow and Janovich) and Ameer and have them play hard nose football and run it up the gut. Lots of Husker fans in my section were pretty upset with the play calling on that drive.

Run the damn ball.

I would have liked to have seen at least one power run play here but in Defense of the offense and play calling, BOTH passes were very catchable and not Taylors or Becks fault.

1st and Goal on the 4 and we have an injuried QB run 2 yards and then two consecutive passing plays? Doesn't make any sense.

Line up with two fullbacks (Marrow and Janovich) and Ameer and have them play hard nose football and run it up the gut. Lots of Husker fans in my section were pretty upset with the play calling on that drive.

Worst three offensive calls of the year. Not even close either. And I'm the "coaches know what theyre doing, we dont" type. But that was absolutely ridiculous. Put Marrow infront of Cross and there's 500 pounds of running back there. Hell, Cross gains 2 yards by falling down. If you cant get 4 yards in 3 plays with that, then there is a serious issue.

Worst three offensive calls of the year. Not even close either. And I'm the "coaches know what theyre doing, we dont" type. But that was absolutely ridiculous. Put Marrow infront of Cross and there's 500 pounds of running back there. Hell, Cross gains 2 yards by falling down. If you cant get 4 yards in 3 plays with that, then there is a serious issue.

My dad and I were watching the Huskers warm up and we were right by the running backs and fullbacks and I honestly don't know who's bigger: Cross or Janovich?

Both guys side by side were freakishly ginormous for being true freshman. Also Compton looks small on TV (I know everybody looks small on TV) but is quite big in person which both surprised my dad and I.

To me it seemed like we passed the ball when we should have ran it and ran the ball when we should have passed. Our first touchdown drive we passed the ball quite efficiently but then we'd stay in spread and start running. I'm not saying we should have passed all game but the spread run wasn't working. We really needed some I-form power running and sweeps. Sometimes I just don't get Tim Beck.

Run the damn ball.

I would have liked to have seen at least one power run play here but in Defense of the offense and play calling, BOTH passes were very catchable and not Taylors or Becks fault.

Just what I was thinking. I don't think we score at that point in the game with running the ball. The plays were there, Taylor rushed the iso fake/short roll out and missed his fb receiver. One or two more steps and then throw and we catch it with a better throw. Taylor knew he was going to be open...always is, he just rushed it.

The other pass was right there to Turner, it either got caught in the glare/lights or he didn't turn around quick enough and pick it up.