Libya Thread Part Deux

Apparently within the conservative echo chamber they're still @#%$ing this chicken.

Strange stuff. I've still yet to hear what this massive cover up is covering up.

I think it boils down to who knew what and when it was actually known. If the whistleblower testimony is true, it appears that there were serious gaps in our response as well as the information that was broadcast being the result of a disturbance gone bad was flat out BS. No one seems to give a crap that 4 Americans were killed, a consulate was over run and our intel (HUMINT) was completely destroyed.

I forgot, Let's be clear, Benghazi was a long time ago........................

How important to our interests is the ultimate goal?

This is my litmus test as well. And it seems harder and harder to tell what our government knows and/or what their motivations are for involvement.

Because in this case, isn't the rebel faction actually more likely to be in league with Islamist extremists that tend to team up strongly with the larger anti-American powers in the region?

To date, it appears that only one group is secular. This doesn't mean the others are fundamentalists, but I would think that the vast majority would be less than friendly to US interests.

This is precisely why, unless we are f*cking somebody up, that is rightly deserving of an asswhooping, that we don't need boots on the ground in the middle east...

You're putting guys in harms way that are just waiting for somebody to come in and clobber them, which is a sh*tty position to put anyone in, and those in DC need to pull their heads out of their asses...

No one seems to give a crap that 4 Americans were killed . . .

This is correct but probably not in the way that you intend. This is definitely not about the 4 Americans who were killed.

What way did I intend? If you mean it seems no one cares about the 4 that were lost, I would agree (lack of press, no real mention of their names etc, Carney's comments about a "long time ago"). If you mean we, as a country, have a short memory, I would agree. If you mean both sides use the deaths for political clout I would agree.

It needs to be about the Americans and the fact a consulate was over run. It doesn't need to be about politics. It needs to be about finding out what happened, how it happened, how to prevent it from occurring again, if there were miscues then those accountable punished and the terrorists that did this be brought to justice.

I am aSSuming that you feel this is purely political. Taking the politics out, does any of this new information cause you concern or to question what was initially put out by the administration? I just find it hard to believe (regardless of party) that we had assisted in enforcing a no fly zone over Libya, knew terrorist activity in and around Benghazi was on the rise and had no assets available as a QRF for embassy personnel. Seems like someone was asleep at the wheel as it related to security provisions for a country that I would consider austere and non-permissive environment.

This is correct but possibly not in the way that you intend. This is definitely not about the 4 Americans who were killed.

I do, and I'm sure other gentlemen that are in the same "career field" of those that lost their lives over there, care.

But here's the thing, they were stuck in a sh*tty position, without any real chance of support.

This is correct but possibly not in the way that you intend. This is definitely not about the 4 Americans who were killed.

I do, and I'm sure other gentlemen that are in the same "career field" of those that lost their lives over there, care.

But here's the thing, they were stuck in a sh*tty position, without any real chance of support.

I was speaking more generally about the echo chamber and the current political witch hunt. I have no doubt that many people (you included) do actually care about the 4 Americans who died. Unfortunately, the current discussion in DC and on the interwebs is not about those 4 people.

13 Benghazis That Occurred on Bush’s Watch Without a Peep from Fox News

January 22, 2002. Calcutta, India. Gunmen associated with Harkat-ul-Jihad al-Islami attack the U.S. Consulate. Five people are killed.

June 14, 2002. Karachi, Pakistan. Suicide bomber connected with al-Qaida attacks the U.S. Consulate, killing 12 and injuring 51.

October 12, 2002. Denpasar, Indonesia. U.S. diplomatic offices bombed as part of a string of “Bali Bombings.” No fatalities.

February 28, 2003. Islamabad, Pakistan. Several gunmen fire upon the U.S. Embassy. Two people are killed.

May 12, 2003. Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Armed al-Qaida terrorists storm the diplomatic compound killing 36 people including nine Americans. The assailants committed suicide by detonating a truck bomb.

July 30, 2004. Tashkent, Uzbekistan. A suicide bomber from the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan attacks the U.S. Embassy, killing two people.

December 6, 2004. Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. Al-Qaida terrorists storm the U.S. Consulate and occupy the perimeter wall. Nine people are killed.

March 2, 2006. Karachi, Pakistan again. Suicide bomber attacks the U.S. Consulate killing four people, including U.S. diplomat David Foy who was directly targeted by the attackers. (I wonder if Lindsey Graham or Fox News would even recognize the name “David Foy.” This is the third Karachi terrorist attack in four years on what’s considered American soil.)

September 12, 2006. Damascus, Syria. Four armed gunmen shouting “Allahu akbar” storm the U.S. Embassy using grenades, automatic weapons, a car bomb and a truck bomb. Four people are killed, 13 are wounded.

January 12, 2007. Athens, Greece. Members of a Greek terrorist group called the Revolutionary Struggle fire a rocket-propelled grenade at the U.S. Embassy. No fatalities.

March 18, 2008. Sana’a, Yemen. Members of the al-Qaida-linked Islamic Jihad of Yemen fire a mortar at the U.S. Embassy. The shot misses the embassy, but hits nearby school killing two.

July 9, 2008. Istanbul, Turkey. Four armed terrorists attack the U.S. Consulate. Six people are killed.

September 17, 2008. Sana’a, Yemen. Terrorists dressed as military officials attack the U.S. Embassy with an arsenal of weapons including RPGs and detonate two car bombs. Sixteen people are killed, including an American student and her husband (they had been married for three weeks when the attack occurred). This is the second attack on this embassy in seven months.

The perspective appears to be different depending which side of the aisle you're from.