Libya Thread Part Deux

But can he now plead the 5th and get out of testifying? Even if he has to do time, he doesn't have to provide testimony at this point.

Yes, that will look bad, but if he has something to hide this is the best way to do it.

Hide what? Can't be Benghazi unless he has a time machine.

Now if people say that this Petraeus business was swept under the rug until after the election . . . well that sounds a whole lot more plausible.

RE: pleading the 5th, I don't know the answer.

Read a tinfoil-hat theory that said Petraeus was aware that our Libyan ambassador was involved in running guns and fighters to the Syrian resistance by buying up old Libyan arms and selling them off to the rebels, kinda like Iran/Contra.

And what's the Broadwell connection? She was a plant? The affair was fabricated? The sensitive information that Broadwell allegedly possessed was planted?

I'm not following.

Read a tinfoil-hat theory that said Petraeus was aware that our Libyan ambassador was involved in running guns and fighters to the Syrian resistance by buying up old Libyan arms and selling them off to the rebels, kinda like Iran/Contra.

And what's the Broadwell connection? She was a plant? The affair was fabricated? The sensitive information that Broadwell allegedly possessed was planted?

I'm not following.

I don't follow how that kelley woman is involved and why Broadwell was anonymously harrassing her. Too bad Dominick Dunne is dead. I can hear him retelling this story of mystery, intrigue, sex, and spies

Agreed.

It's not some "staffer" from the Ambassador's office, but a real ambassador. I know there's "budget" cuts and what not, but if I was a U.S. ambassador, I'd be pissed i'm getting, albeit a highly trained, yet seriously undergunned security detail, especially considering the circumstances...

I don't know

I don't know either, but somebody in the higher echelon should be held accountable

Seems fairly common. We have ambassadors in the vast majority of countries and a quick look shows that they've been killed in attacks in Guatemala, Sudan, Cyprus, Lebanon, Afghanistan, and now Libya.

So that doesn't mean, hey, we've had guys get shot here, here, and here, maybe we should pull our heads out of our asses, and come up with a contingency?

I don't think that the location of the US consulate was a secret. I could be wrong.

I'm not so sure they just "got lucky" and found our guy, I think thats just a bit too tidy...

Because it was in Libya and we wanted the closest/quickest available forces?

yeah, but the lesson we're learning in Afghanistan, is the loyalty of the local nationals. Would you necessarily want to have to rely on a bunch of guys who are going to be just as unorganized as the guys you're trying to keep at bay?

It's not some "staffer" from the Ambassador's office, but a real ambassador. I know there's "budget" cuts and what not, but if I was a U.S. ambassador, I'd be pissed i'm getting, albeit a highly trained, yet seriously undergunned security detail, especially considering the circumstances...

Sure. And I'd like my salary to be twice as high as it is. You can't always get what you want. If I recall correctly there were some fairly significant cuts to security funding. Maybe someone should take responsibility for those votes?

I don't know either, but somebody in the higher echelon should be held accountable

Agreed. Let's try to make sure that they're actually responsible and not just pin the tail on the highest ranking donkey that we can find.

So that doesn't mean, hey, we've had guys get shot here, here, and here, maybe we should pull our heads out of our asses, and come up with a contingency?

I didn't say anything of the sort. Can you at least admit that there is a serious political dimension here? That roughly 50% of the country wants to blame a certain person regardless of whether that blame is deserved?

I'm not so sure they just "got lucky" and found our guy, I think thats just a bit too tidy...

I didn't say that.

yeah, but the lesson we're learning in Afghanistan, is the loyalty of the local nationals. Would you necessarily want to have to rely on a bunch of guys who are going to be just as unorganized as the guys you're trying to keep at bay?

Rely on? No. Personally, I'd like to be surrounded by the 1st Armored Division. Unfortunately you play the cards that you're dealt . . . and our cards are strewn across the globe.

Charles Krauthammer says that the White House tried to blackmail Petraeus.

What's the general opinion on Krauthammer? Isn't he a neoconservative?

I generally like listening to what he has to say. I'm not going to go as far as to say he is fantastic and always right on the money because I haven't obviously heard everything he has said or written and the moment I write this, someone will post something stupid he said or wrote.

However, I can't honestly say I can dismiss what he is saying here.

Sure. And I'd like my salary to be twice as high as it is. You can't always get what you want. If I recall correctly there were some fairly significant cuts to security funding. Maybe someone should take responsibility for those votes?

I'm sure you would, but you're not in some country on the ass end of the planet worrying about some batsh*t fundamentalist is going to pop you a new pooper in the forehead w/ his AK... Someone should totally take responsibility, and there's been a lack of that virtue for many, many years...

Agreed. Let's try to make sure that they're actually responsible and not just pin the tail on the highest ranking donkey that we can find.

Amen to that

I didn't say anything of the sort. Can you at least admit that there is a serious political dimension here? That roughly 50% of the country wants to blame a certain person regardless of whether that blame is deserved?

I think before we start worrying about the "political dimension", we either stop putting non combatants in harms way or make sure they have adequate security. You're sorely mistaken if you think I'm putting this on the current jack ass in office. The previous jack ass didn't do much better.

I didn't say that.

Then what are you saying? I know most U.S. consulates aren't well hidden safe houses, but i'm also pretty sure they're not lit up like Wallyworld.

Rely on? No. Personally, I'd like to be surrounded by the 1st Armored Division. Unfortunately you play the cards that you're dealt . . . and our cards are strewn across the globe.

Then it's about time to get the cards back in the deck, and stop playing "52 pickup" with the rest of the world...

I'm sure you would, but you're not in some country on the ass end of the planet worrying about some batsh*t fundamentalist is going to pop you a new pooper in the forehead w/ his AK... Someone should totally take responsibility, and there's been a lack of that virtue for many, many years...

How should they take responsibility? What form would that take? Standing up in front of God and the country on national TV and saying, "I'm responsible?" Because I know a guy who recently did that. What other form of "take responsibility" should they give?

• Fire 1

Then what are you saying? I know most U.S. consulates aren't well hidden safe houses, but i'm also pretty sure they're not lit up like Wallyworld.

Actually, I think that they generally are lit up like Wallyworld. They're for community outreach and for aiding US citizens abroad. It's tough to do those in secret.

Then it's about time to get the cards back in the deck, and stop playing "52 pickup" with the rest of the world...

Agreed!