What is your biggest factor in going to an away game?

Okay, with the way the East Lansing Sea of Red thread turned out, it got me thinking, what is your biggest factor(s) for attedning an away game.

I think for me, first, it is how many friends I can get to go with me. It is more fun in a big group, 8 of us went to Chicago for Northwestern and it was a blast.

So, my biggest factor would be the size of the group.

Since I half spawned this discussion - for me, it's what beyond the game does the location offer. I don't drive up for the game, tailgate, then drive back home - so it's an entire trip. I want to be able to go out Friday and Saturday night...and not to a bar surrounded by a bunch of drunk kids that just watched their team get pounded by the Huskers. Chicago obviously > East Lansing. It's why I didn't go to a lot of Big12 away games. Lubbock, Manhattan, Columbia, Ames, etc. Nothing outside of the game there.

Since I half spawned this discussion - for me, it's what beyond the game does the location offer. I don't drive up for the game, tailgate, then drive back home - so it's an entire trip. I want to be able to go out Friday and Saturday night...and not to a bar surrounded by a bunch of drunk kids that just watched their team get pounded by the Huskers. Chicago obviously > East Lansing. It's why I didn't go to a lot of Big12 away games. Lubbock, Manhattan, Columbia, Ames, etc. Nothing outside of the game there.

Totally see your point, can I ask, how old you are?

I ask because you mentioned "college bars", I was at the "new" Barry's last weekend and it really did not seem like a college bar, seemed like all ages.

Totally see your point, can I ask, how old you are?

I ask because you mentioned "college bars", I was at the "new" Barry's last weekend and it really did not seem like a college bar, seemed like all ages.

I'm 30. And from the looks of it the new Barry's would probably be about right for me. And going to a bar in Lincoln is very different than going to a bar in Madison (I'm assuming - never been). At the end of the day our fans are great, especially since we've usually just won. That's not always been the case for me traveling. I'd much rather end up at a place that was serving $4 Bud Light bottles to a bunch of people you can carry on a converstion with, than $4 pitchers and $1 shots to a bunch of kids that are going to start sh!t because you're wearing red (and my wife is pretty hot so she ends up getting hit on frequently which causes an entirely different set of issues)

Three teenagers at home with sports and other activities along with the future of having three kid in college......away games are not in my immediate future.

However, I have a dream. At some point in my life when I have the time and money, I would like to take a year and go to every single game the Huskers play. No matter if it is an away game or home game. I would like to have a few couples we do it with to make it even more fun. I would like to make it so that we would leave for away games early enough to get to them Friday night and then get home Sunday. It would be cool if all of us would pull campers and tail gate every weekend. Hopefully if I ever commit to doing this it will be in a year we are really good.

I have big dreams.

The new Barry's rocks, so if you get a chance, stop there.

But, yeah, to your point about being on the road after a loss and at the bars, well, that could really suck.

But 4 dollar pitchers do sound sweet and I am older than you!

on the road after a loss isn't too bad - on the road after a win (which most of them are) is worse. it means everyone you are sitting by just suffered a loss. :)

Three teenagers at home with sports and other activities along with the future of having three kid in college......away games are not in my immediate future.

However, I have a dream. At some point in my life when I have the time and money, I would like to take a year and go to every single game the Huskers play. No matter if it is an away game or home game. I would like to have a few couples we do it with to make it even more fun. I would like to make it so that we would leave for away games early enough to get to them Friday night and then get home Sunday. It would be cool if all of us would pull campers and tail gate every weekend. Hopefully if I ever commit to doing this it will be in a year we are really good.

I have big dreams.

you'd have to do it a couple years in a row - so you can get to most of the B1G venues.

The new Barry's rocks, so if you get a chance, stop there.

But, yeah, to your point about being on the road after a loss and at the bars, well, that could really suck.

But 4 dollar pitchers do sound sweet and I am older than you!

on the road after a loss isn't too bad - on the road after a win (which most of them are) is worse. it means everyone you are sitting by just suffered a loss. :)

Ahhh, good point!

I did not think of it that way. Lincoln, after a loss, kind of sucks, if you ask me. The energy is just drained.

I'd much rather end up at a place that was serving $4 Bud Light bottles to a bunch of people you can carry on a converstion with, than $4 pitchers and $1 shots to a bunch of kids that are going to start sh!t because you're wearing red (and my wife is pretty hot so she ends up getting hit on frequently which causes an entirely different set of issues)

For once... I actually agree with you!!! LOL. I don't like going to crazy bars. Been there, got that stage behind me, and I am only 25. I guess having a family settles you down from that scene, as mostly bad things happen from them. Trouble always found its way to me at those kinds of bars. Most of them had to do with men grabbing my other half's ass, or something along those lines. I don't care if she gets hit on, as I knew what I was getting myself into when we started dating, but touching is another story.

I'd much rather end up at a place that was serving $4 Bud Light bottles to a bunch of people you can carry on a converstion with, than $4 pitchers and $1 shots to a bunch of kids that are going to start sh!t because you're wearing red (and my wife is pretty hot so she ends up getting hit on frequently which causes an entirely different set of issues)

For once... I actually agree with you!!! LOL. I don't like going to crazy bars. Been there, got that stage behind me, and I am only 25. I guess having a family settles you down from that scene, as mostly bad things happen from them. Trouble always found its way to me at those kinds of bars. Most of them had to do with men grabbing my other half's ass, or something along those lines. I don't care if she gets hit on, as I knew what I was getting myself into when we started dating, but touching is another story.

Couple weeks ago I had a guy inform me that he wasn't leaving until my wife left with him. I told him he'd need to buy her a lot more alcohol to get her to leave without me, but I'd let him do his best to convince her. He bought her a drink...then a few of us quickly showed him the door. At least we got a couple free drinks out of the deal though.

Usually for me it has to do with how many home games I make it back for and when the game falls during the season. For example, the MSU matchup is stuck between two bigger home games. Getting to a home game takes me 5 hours anyway, so during those weekends in between, I'm not too fast to pull the trigger on going to East Lansing. I usually try to attend 2 away games per year.

Last season, I was made it back for 4 home games and only made it to Madison.

This season, I will make it back for 3 home games and plan on going to Iowa City, Indianapolis, and Pasadena. See what I did there?