empty Big House on New Years

MichiganMan

For a sport struggling to get fan support/viewers, you would think they would get something settled by now. This is killing the NHL right now

They don't care about expanding and they don't care about the fans. They know the diehards will stick around and they aren't try to attract casual fans like myself. This is why they chose Versus over ESPiN to market the product.

This is a test of wills on both sides. Sounds like things could be coming together (talks due to resume today), and that maybe a little movement on both sides will help to solidify things. I'm not a Bettman fan, but he's done what he needs to do to make sure the NHL (read the smaller market teams for the most part) is financially stable going forward. Fehr is as much at fault on this as Bettman is. Never been a fan of Fehr's. Thought the guy was an obstructionist, and I really soured on baseball because of the structure of the sport right now. Love that they expanded the postseason, but when you start every season out with a much bigger disparity between teams than any other major sport, it makes the game nigh unwatchable. And a LOT of that has to do with the way the sport is structured right now, and how the CBA is structured.

I'm a big hockey fan, regardless, and I'll likely be back regardless. But I agree, this is absolutely a black eye on the NHL. Should have never come down to this, but both sides didn't start putting in the real work until it came down to the last minute and then some. Stupid on both sides part, not the way you grow the game in this country. Makes everyone associated look bad.

• 2 weeks later...