But you'll always have to go back to the chiropractor because they don't actually treat anything either. That's the point.

Chiropractic has little to no scientific backing.

That is just completely false. Chiropractic has tons of scientific backing and it is exploding with research. Actually, in their scope of health care, they have about the most evidence supporting what they do and what ailments are best treated with chiropractic care (low back pain and cervicogenic headaches).

If you say that the chiropractors that claim they can cure cancer are quacks, then I would agree with you. However, in treating the musculoskeletal system, they are ranked as one of the best. If manipulating joints failed to work, then insurance companies and Obamacare wouldn't pay for it and physical therapy schools wouldn't be trying to teach it in their schools. Manipulation works and it works well when done correctly.

--------------------

"Furthermore, AM practitioners often do not care that their methods are irrational or unreasonable because they deceive themselves into thinking that what they are doing is justified because "it works," i.e., they have seen the results (confirmation bias) and they have a lot of satisfied customers (the pragmatic fallacy). A lot of medicine works because of the placebo effect, and a lot of science-based physicians are probably deceived by results just as AM folks are. These fundamental human tendencies to confirmation bias and self-deception are common in all human thinking but are guarded against by scientists by requiring specific logical and scientific tests of causal claims."

http://skepdic.com/faq.html#1

Chiropractic can feel good and has short term effects for back pain, but beyond that, it's complete bullsh#t.

Like you said, there's a difference between treating symptoms and treating causes of problems. If it actually fixed the causes, people wouldn't have to keep going back. - So it's essentially a big fat ibuprofen.

And it's a horrible idea to take science cues from insurance companies and "Obamacare" . Insurance companies validate nothing in and of themselves.

Further reading

--------------------

"Furthermore, AM practitioners often do not care that their methods are irrational or unreasonable because they deceive themselves into thinking that what they are doing is justified because "it works," i.e., they have seen the results (confirmation bias) and they have a lot of satisfied customers (the pragmatic fallacy). A lot of medicine works because of the placebo effect, and a lot of science-based physicians are probably deceived by results just as AM folks are. These fundamental human tendencies to confirmation bias and self-deception are common in all human thinking but are guarded against by scientists by requiring specific logical and scientific tests of causal claims."

http://skepdic.com/faq.html#1

Chiropractic can feel good and has short term effects for back pain, but beyond that, it's complete bullsh#t.

Like you said, there's a difference between treating symptoms and treating causes of problems. If it actually fixed the causes, people wouldn't have to keep going back. - So it's essentially a big fat ibuprofen.

And it's a horrible idea to take science cues from insurance companies and "Obamacare" . Insurance companies validate nothing in and of themselves.

Further reading

Interesting article, but I have a few beefs with it. First off, subluxation isn't a universally accepted term throughout the profession. It's a very hotly debated topic. There are the chiropractors that want to create another professional statement, but then there are those that accept the term because it is part of the history of the profession.

I don't know if the author of the article is an MD, but the autonomic nervous system absolutely supplies innervation to every single organ in your body. I don't even know why he brought that up, considering it's in every medical textbook since the ANS was discovered. So, of course it passes between spinal segments just like a regular nerve would. In support of this, I'll link a video of this that suggests manipulation of the C1 vertebra may help lower blood pressure.

Does the manipulation work? Maybe, maybe not. Considering the study was a double blind with 50 participants and the AVERAGE drop in blood pressure was 17 points. I see that as being a pretty significant finding. Certainly one that needs further research.

I don't disagree with him saying that chiropractic therapy is most effective with therapeutic exercises along with the adjustment see better results. After all, you would want to strengthen those muscles to help prevent further injuries. I agree.

I have a big problem with him claiming that chiropractic care can cause strokes, albeit rarely. Turning your head backwards to reverse your car out of your driveway in the morning can give you a stroke if the factors are there. David Cassidy from the University Health Netweork Rehabilitation Solutions Hospital in Toronto performed a study to see if there was more of a risk of a vertebrobasilar artery dissection (stroke) associated with chiropractic care.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2271108/

It was a case control, case-cross over study that was conducted over a span of nine years. He concluded that there was no increased risk of a stroke associated with chiropractic care compared to primary care (Medical Doctors).

In regards to your argument on why people keep going back. I would argue it's for maintenance care. Your body needs maintenance just like your car does. Do you change your oil periodically? Of course. To prevent your engine from failing. If you could prevent a disc herniation by seeing a chiropractor once a month, why wouldn't you do it? I would think the human body would be worth more than a car. You only get one in your lifetime.

Lastly, I would not compare chiropractic care to ibuprofen. It doesn't kill nearly as many people as NSAIDs do. Almost 300,000 people have died due to gastro-intestinal complications from NSAIDs (e.g. ibuprofen) and 1.7 MILLION people have been hospitalized because of them. More than

http://www.healthsen...ginal&Itemid=24

I'm not saying all of this because I'm anti-MD, I was premed undergrad and I still may end up going to medical school (if I'm still single by then), but I will say that drug companies have grossly undermined the profession with bad evidence through the use of publication bias. It has gotten to the point where MDs do not know how bad the medication is for their patients because the studies which provide negative statistics for a drug get omitted from publication in medical journals. Therefore, the MD's have no idea that the medicine they give their patients can potentially harm, or kill them.

Here's a good TED talk about the influence of drug companies and publication bias:

Community college (2 of them) then to another school, which I considered to be a sign of him not being able to stick with anything. Problem with the guy that I hit was he was claiming headaches, etc. that impacted his schoolwork, bla bla bla. He had previously had 2 CT scans of his head prior to my rear end of him. Also was in a more violent collision from behind 3 months before my accident with him. he sued in that one was well, 2 years before he sued me and won nothing. So he went after me just before the 3 year mark expired, trying to go after 150,000 which was 3 times my insurance coverage at the time. His grades actually went up after my accident with him(which was in direct conflict with his claim that he couldn't concentrate anymore) and he also made up some bullsh#t about the accident about his girlfriend(who was driving the car he was in) crying and being upset, as well as him being really upset. None of which was true I talked to them after the accident(which was in a 25 mph zone) and they were both fine and more worried about being late to their party. He also sued his former girlfriend who was driving the vehicle he was in, despite her not being at fault at all. On top of all that, they made the collision appear worse by ripping off the plastic parts of the bumper(Pontiac Grandam) to make a huge hole on the right rear fender, which wasn't there after I hit them. Of course, the cops didn't photo either car so I had no way of proving it.

All of this allowed him to get some money to start his T-shirt business with his buddies. http://start.cortera...nt-vision-inks/

Long story short, he's a little pu&&y and I would have loved to get the chance to beat his ass. I watched his Facebook wall for a year leading up to the trial and he was a typical happy-go-lucky college student who went out and got drunk and partied just like the rest of them. He saw 2 neuroligists on his own accord and they couldn't find anything wrong with him other than saying he was suffering from mental illness. Consequently the same conclusion that my defense lawyer's neurologist came to.

Even his tardo chiropractor released him from treatments saying everything was completely normal a full 18 months prior to him racking up more medical bills with 5 other chiropractors, etc.

Off rant.

Perhaps this is why I hate chiropractors. Or perhaps it's because the ones I know are complete nut-jobs.

Well, it sounds like you had a bad judge rather than him having the bad chiropractor. Even his 'tardo chiropractor' had the sense to release him from treatments, which seems to me that the chiropractor recognized that there was nothing wrong with him. I'm not siding with them, because it sounds like you got hosed. There are bad chiropractors out there and if you look around long enough, then you're bound to find one, just like you could find a bad computer repair shop, or a bad barber.

There are good ones out there, too.

Community college (2 of them) then to another school, which I considered to be a sign of him not being able to stick with anything. Problem with the guy that I hit was he was claiming headaches, etc. that impacted his schoolwork, bla bla bla. He had previously had 2 CT scans of his head prior to my rear end of him. Also was in a more violent collision from behind 3 months before my accident with him. he sued in that one was well, 2 years before he sued me and won nothing. So he went after me just before the 3 year mark expired, trying to go after 150,000 which was 3 times my insurance coverage at the time. His grades actually went up after my accident with him(which was in direct conflict with his claim that he couldn't concentrate anymore) and he also made up some bullsh#t about the accident about his girlfriend(who was driving the car he was in) crying and being upset, as well as him being really upset. None of which was true I talked to them after the accident(which was in a 25 mph zone) and they were both fine and more worried about being late to their party. He also sued his former girlfriend who was driving the vehicle he was in, despite her not being at fault at all. On top of all that, they made the collision appear worse by ripping off the plastic parts of the bumper(Pontiac Grandam) to make a huge hole on the right rear fender, which wasn't there after I hit them. Of course, the cops didn't photo either car so I had no way of proving it.

All of this allowed him to get some money to start his T-shirt business with his buddies. http://start.cortera...nt-vision-inks/

Long story short, he's a little pu&&y and I would have loved to get the chance to beat his ass. I watched his Facebook wall for a year leading up to the trial and he was a typical happy-go-lucky college student who went out and got drunk and partied just like the rest of them. He saw 2 neuroligists on his own accord and they couldn't find anything wrong with him other than saying he was suffering from mental illness. Consequently the same conclusion that my defense lawyer's neurologist came to.

Even his tardo chiropractor released him from treatments saying everything was completely normal a full 18 months prior to him racking up more medical bills with 5 other chiropractors, etc.

Off rant.

Perhaps this is why I hate chiropractors. Or perhaps it's because the ones I know are complete nut-jobs.

Well, it sounds like you had a bad judge rather than him having the bad chiropractor. Even his 'tardo chiropractor' had the sense to release him from treatments, which seems to me that the chiropractor recognized that there was nothing wrong with him. I'm not siding with them, because it sounds like you got hosed. There are bad chiropractors out there and if you look around long enough, then you're bound to find one, just like you could find a bad computer repair shop, or a bad barber.

There are good ones out there, too.

Wasn't the judge's fault. It was the jury not listening to testimony.