Gusty Saturday

Current Forecast calls for gusty winds out of the South at 25 MPH.

Does this in any way affect either team's pass game? Which team needs to take some shots down field? Will the game boil down to special teams/field position? Does the better ground game win?

You make the call, assuming the forecast holds, does the wind play a role tomorrow, and if so to which team's advantage?

Penn State relies on a short passing game, getting the ball out of McGloin's hands quickly with short throws. They don't throw downfield much, they throw screens and to the TE and slant routes. Their game is predicated on McGloin getting rid of the ball quickly.

Perfectly said. If we press, and stay on our coverage, we should have no problem locking them down, and forcing them to run. They haven't faced a great secondary yet. If our DB's are able to take advantage of a good coverage, and catch the ball, we should have a couple INT's this game. I think they will try to take advantage of Mitchell this game, but it will come and bite them in the ass when he is one to get a pick.

I think that they might see some success on the ground, actually. It will take us a quarter or 2 to get a grasp on their offense, I think.

By the middle or end of 3rd, their defense will be gassed as well. Like stated in another thread, they lack depth on both sides of the ball.

IF we can not shoot ourselves in the foot. Which we haven't proven we can do. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Penn State relies on a short passing game, getting the ball out of McGloin's hands quickly with short throws. They don't throw downfield much, they throw screens and to the TE and slant routes. Their game is predicated on McGloin getting rid of the ball quickly.

Perfectly said. If we press, and stay on our coverage, we should have no problem locking them down, and forcing them to run. They haven't faced a great secondary yet. If our DB's are able to take advantage of a good coverage, and catch the ball, we should have a couple INT's this game. I think they will try to take advantage of Mitchell this game, but it will come and bite them in the ass when he is one to get a pick.

I think it will tough to get picks in this game since they make a lot of short, safe passes. I'm hoping they stick with the pass but we get enough breakups to make it less than effective. Darrel Royal's quote comes to mind "Three things can happen when you pass, and two of them are bad".

Current Forecast calls for gusty winds out of the South at 25 MPH.

Does this in any way affect either team's pass game? Which team needs to take some shots down field? Will the game boil down to special teams/field position? Does the better ground game win?

You make the call, assuming the forecast holds, does the wind play a role tomorrow, and if so to which team's advantage?

I think it affects Nebraska's passing game more. We tend to let our receivers get further downfield. However, since our run game is better, I think we still pull out a win.

This is also the quickest I've seen the discussion move away from the original post (ridiculous random posts of equestrian nature notwithstanding).

I think it will tough to get picks in this game since they make a lot of short, safe passes. I'm hoping they stick with the pass but we get enough breakups to make it less than effective. Darrel Royal's quote comes to mind "Three things can happen when you pass, and two of them are bad".

If you press, leave no cushion, that leaves your players that chance to squeeze in for that pick. With these predicted gusts, the chances of them going downfield is unlikely, unless the wind is at their backs. This is a game where we will need Stafford to stay sharp for all 4 quarters.

If you press, leave no cushion, that leaves your players that chance to squeeze in for that pick. With these predicted gusts, the chances of them going downfield is unlikely, unless the wind is at their backs. This is a game where we will need Stafford to stay sharp for all 4 quarters.

The wind is supposed to be from the south rather than an E-W wind so they could try going downfield. I thought longer passes would be our best chance of getting picks.

Does anyone know what type of coverage PSU uses? I know we've been able to pick apart some zones with longer intermediate range passes but the wind could effect that and blow the ball to the defender.

You have to think that this favors us. We have the more physical, run-oriented offense. That should be our advantage.

Make Penn State 1-dimensional and we can shut them down.

Make Nebraska 1-dimensional and we should be able to pound the rock because we have had success in the past being 1-dimensional.

You have to think that this favors us. We have the more physical, run-oriented offense. That should be our advantage.

Make Penn State 1-dimensional and we can shut them down.

Make Nebraska 1-dimensional and we should be able to pound the rock because we have had success in the past being 1-dimensional.

That and their rush defense is actually horrid. This is one case, where the numbers lie to you lol.

Penn State Rushing Defense: #25 allowing 122.44

Their Opponents Rushing

Virginia- #85 141.44/game.... PSU gave up 263 yards rushing

Navy- #7 267.2/game.... PSU game up 255 yards Rushing

Temple- #51 173.4/game... PSU gave up 113 yards rushing

Illinois- #99 126/game... PSU gave up 74 yards rushing

Northwestern- #13 236.4/game... PSU gave up 112 yards

Iowa- #98 129.6/game... PSU gave up 20 yards rushing

Ohio State- #9 256.1/game... PSU gave up 234 yards rushing

Purdue- #74 153/game... PSU gave up 87

NEBRASKA- #6 269.6/game