Beck telegraphing Imani Cross short-yardage runs

Maxconvert

But what would have happened if they would have ran a play action pass then Taylor misses an open man, or Reed or whoever drops the pass? We're back to square one bit*hing that Beck didn't run it with Cross.

I was one who was hoping for the playaction pass at that point, but you do make an excellent point. It still does, and always will come down to the fact that if the play is succesful, it was a great call, and if gets stopped, a different one should have been called. I guess it's the nature of the beast of being a fan.

Cross did fine. The blocking was adequate.

For the life of me I don't understand Pelini's love of the telegraphed short yardage run. Cross has been more effective than Marrow though, so I will give them that.

I hold out hope for the play action or the naked boot, but I suspect when they finally do use that wrinkle the opponent will sniff it out for a sack or an interception.

Cross did fine. The blocking was adequate.

For the life of me I don't understand Pelini's love of the telegraphed short yardage run. Cross has been more effective than Marrow though, so I will give them that.

I hold out hope for the play action or the naked boot, but I suspect when they finally do use that wrinkle the opponent will sniff it out for a sack or an interception.

So, you dont understand the power game in short yardage, but you suspect that running play action or naked boot would be unsuccessful as well. wow.

Honest question. What would YOU do?

All game I was expecting a play action pass off of that set. It never came, but I bet Beck has one in his pocket.

I'll guarantee he does, it's just a matter of being able to run plays from that set enough that the defense expects Cross to get the handoff on a dive. When we were running the 28 sweep over and over again and picking up decent yardage with it, Beck tried a few different variations of it to see how the defense would react. Now that we're seeing Cross get used in short yardage situations more often, I'm sure we'll see play action off of it, especially on a 2nd and short or a 3rd and short in 4 down territory.

But what would have happened if they would have ran a play action pass then Taylor misses an open man, or Reed or whoever drops the pass? We're back to square one bit*hing that Beck didn't run it with Cross.

I was one who was hoping for the playaction pass at that point, but you do make an excellent point. It still does, and always will come down to the fact that if the play is succesful, it was a great call, and if gets stopped, a different one should have been called. I guess it's the nature of the beast of being a fan.

The way I looked at it was Taylor seemed to have to run for his life when ever they tried to drop back and pass, and they were having good success in the second half just shoving it down Penn State's throat. What bothers me about this argument is all the people that complained for weeks when Beck would call play action on 3rd and 1 or go shotgun and hear: "Why can't he just put Jano and Cross in the backfield that's over 500 ibs it's unstopable why are we passing this isn't Nebraska football"

Short yardage plays are what they are. Defenses set up for a run or QB sneak as this is what usually happens. But sometimes the play call is different and 1 of 2 things happen. 1) The QB drops back or the team hits the edge or a pass is completed or 2) One of these plays is called and it fails and we fans say WTF why did we run play that starts 5 yards deep when we could have just jammed it down their throats.

I was glad to see Cross get a few plays when is was not an obvious short yardage play, the guy is a real running back not "Fridge Perry" so I was glad to see him get action a few times, not in obvious short yardage situations.

Of course if you have a Birck Sh!t House I say run it. (Well most of the time)