Good interview with Beck about offense starting slow each game

Maxconvert

This is the best interview I've read from Beck about why the Huskers seem to start slow and then turn it on in the second half the last few games (not including Michigan, of course). He basically says that opposing defenses view the Husker offense as so multitalented that they come out with exotic schemes/fronts that they haven't shown on film before. Although, to that I would add that shooting ourselves in the foot with turnovers in the first half has also been a big part of it.

I think Beck is doing a good job overall, but I still think our passing game is underutilized. People can rag on me all they want, with all the "Beck knows what he's doing", "people want us to run now you want us to pass--what's wrong with you?" comments that are sure to come, but our WR and TEs are truly the best ever at NU. They have great athleticism and almost never drop the ball.

Here is the link: http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/2012/minnesota/red-report-husker-offense-sees-each-week-as-a-/article_969bafdc-b8a1-5dc5-bf0d-f9d30da1cc57.html

Yeah, we've owned teams in the second half.

Not how u start, it's how u finish.

We straight up wear teams out. How many D lineman were going down in that 2nd half?

I would guess that if you take away the first half miscues and turnovers, the Huskers would have had a lot more blowout wins instead of comeback wins, and would thus be ranked higher right now

Yeah, we've owned teams in the second half.

Not how u start, it's how u finish.

We straight up wear teams out. How many D lineman were going down in that 2nd half?

I would guess that if you take away the first half miscues and turnovers, the Huskers would have had a lot more blowout wins instead of comeback wins, and would thus be ranked higher right now

That's obvious....................no team, outside of Ohio State has caused us problems outside of ourselves. Nebraska gets in Nebraska's own way sometimes and if they could get the turnovers and penalties, especially the personal fouls, under control we would've rolled some teams. Even with all the mistakes teams are having a huge problem with us. Now you could argue that Ohio State wouldn't have beaten us as bad if we would've limited the mistakes, but the defense played terrible that game as well. I would bet if we played them now, they may still beat us, but it would be a close game.

Now you could argue that Ohio State wouldn't have beaten us as bad if we would've limited the mistakes, but the defense played terrible that game as well. I would bet if we played them now, they may still beat us, but it would be a close game.

Maybe, but not sure that Bo has solved the "mobile Qb" problem yet. Michigan solved it for us when Dennard tweaked his elbow, and Northwestern brilliantly underutilized Kain Colter at qb when we beat them.

Now you could argue that Ohio State wouldn't have beaten us as bad if we would've limited the mistakes, but the defense played terrible that game as well. I would bet if we played them now, they may still beat us, but it would be a close game.

Maybe, but not sure that Bo has solved the "mobile Qb" problem yet. Michigan solved it for us when Dennard tweaked his elbow, and Northwestern brilliantly underutilized Kain Colter at qb when we beat them.

I think we had Robinson pretty well contained, same with Colter when we played Northwestern.

I think we had Robinson pretty well contained, same with Colter when we played Northwestern.

True, but you'll remember we also had Braxton contained in the first half in Columbus and we know how that turned out! Northwestern oddly kept using their pocket-passing qb and putting Colter at WR instead of sticking with Colter the whole game. They've done it all year like that, but you would think that given the way Miller ran on us the week before that they would try the same.

I have to admit though that I'm a little curious why we don't try Imani on our opening drives. Seems opponents wouldn't be expecting that.

My biggest concern is that if we reach the Rose Bowl, our opponent might just race away on offense themselves in the first half, making a comeback practically impossible. Starting out slow in the first half is fine, as long as your defense has your back throughout the entire game. And ours has.

And we win. So that's all that matters now.

True, but you'll remember we also had Braxton contained in the first half in Columbus and we know how that turned out! Northwestern oddly kept using their pocket-passing qb and putting Colter at WR instead of sticking with Colter the whole game. They've done it all year like that, but you would think that given the way Miller ran on us the week before that they would try the same.

We had Braxton contained for the first quarter, he ripped us apart for the last 3. When Colter was in, he went nowhere, that is why they knew going over the air was their best bet. Colter was 14 carries for 35 yards. Braxton is on a whole different level than those two QBs. We had a very good game plan for that first half against Michigan.

I have to admit though that I'm a little curious why we don't try Imani on our opening drives. Seems opponents wouldn't be expecting that.

My biggest concern is that if we reach the Rose Bowl, our opponent might just race away on offense themselves in the first half, making a comeback practically impossible. Starting out slow in the first half is fine, as long as your defense has your back throughout the entire game. And ours has.

And we win. So that's all that matters now.

Because we play our best players. Ameer is the best back we have. Heard and Cross are right there with him, but Ameer has done more than earned his starting card.

Because we play our best players. Ameer is the best back we have. Heard and Cross are right there with him, but Ameer has done more than earned his starting card.

Sure, I agree there - Ameer is our best healthy all-around back.

We struggle so much on our first few possessions. It's really bad, actually. Going 3 & out and losing the opportunity to at least gain field position is not going to fare well against a quality bowl opponent.

So while Beck knows infinitely more about offense than I do...I think it's an easy observation to make that we need a little more creativity (or need to reach deeper into our personnel) to overcome this. Because again, it's fine when your defense holds up. If the other team is destined to score mid-twenties by the end of the game, we win. That's been true of every team we've played. But one shaky defensive performance is all it will take if we can't find our wheels on offense in the first quarter.

Thanks, this is great stuff!

Really, really liking what Beck brings to the table here. He's got a very bright future here as an offensive coordinator. Did he say we're multiple? :)

MLB 51, I would say my biggest criticism of Beck actually is he has a tendency to stick with something a little too long. Doesn't change it up and keep defenses on their toes enough at times ... but of course, all of that is set up for a reason, too. So my criticism, maybe a bit shallow. I disagree in general with any "he goes away from what's working" talk, because that really isn't how playcalling works, is it?

But you are spot on about UCLA. I think that was more of a case where we panicked and started airing it out too early. Most notably was a drive that came when we were down by one score with 7 minutes to go in the 4th, but started flinging it like it was desperation time. So I think when Beck isn't keeping a little too even of a keel he has had a tendency -- shown in a few games this year or mostly last -- to go off a little too much in the opposite direction. But I definitely think he's getting a pretty good handle on the playcalling as the weeks go by.

Very important is the feedback from Bo and those guys bein on the same page, and working together to mold our offense.

• Fire 1

I agree--the "he goes away from the running game" criticism fails to account for the fact that one of the best things about a running game is it sets up the passing game...especially in the middle of the field and over the top due to safety run support. I don't think the mistakes of UCLA will happen again...after four 10+ point second-half comebacks, with two of those on the road, TMart and the offense have definitely developed some confidence about being down in the second half.

My biggest problem with Beck is, he seems to go away from the run when it is working. When we get behind he tries making up the difference by throwing the ball way to many times. This in turn puts TM in bad situations. UCLA was one of those situations.

Actually I'd argue that, lately, that hasn't been the case. At least it wasn't against Penn State. There were actually times that I thought Beck might've gotten a little too conservative, actually.

Regarding passing: Taylor's much better than he used to be, when he's not under a lot of pressure. I've seen him make some throws that he never could've made last year. I think we could pass on 1st or 2nd down more often if we're not in long yardage situations.