Bucs rookie David making name in flash

Nexus

TAMPA -- Defensive teammates call him "Flash."

"The play begins, it's going and … whoosh … it's 54," Bucs defensive lineman Gerald McCoy said.

It's 54.

"You know, I've never had a nickname," Lavonte David said.

He has never asked for one, either, or needed one.

"It all goes back to attention. I've never liked a lot of attention. That's just the way my family is, relaxed, chill, no negativity. I don't like negativity. I'm always positive, never negative."

He leads the Bucs in tackles for negative yardage.

For a guy who hates the spotlight, he sure is in the middle of things a lot. The Bucs rookie linebacker is all over games, a blur with a purpose. 54 is there, whoosh . Then impact.

"That dude is on another level right now," McCoy said.

It's true. David had 14 tackles, 13 of them solo, in last Sunday's win over San Diego, including his team-leading 12th tackle for a loss. The week before, he had 16 tackles, 14 solo, in the victory in Oakland. The second-round pick leads the Bucs with 81 tackles. If you sort it by solo tackles, only one player in the NFL has more of those than rookie David.

Continue Reading

"There's something about our rookies, man, they're all weirdos," (Gerald) McCoy said. "You've got Mark Barron, who's a quiet guy, and Doug Martin, soft spoken, and Lavonte David. But you get them on the field, they're maniacs."

:lol:

I wonder what the likelihood is that he wins defensive rookie of the year? I read an article on the defensive rookie of the year candidates about a week or so ago and they had no mention of David. Seems odd... you would think he would be a contender.

You would think, but look how the last "Defensive Rookie of the Year" went, that was a NU alumni lol.

I wonder what the likelihood is that he wins defensive rookie of the year? I read an article on the defensive rookie of the year candidates about a week or so ago and they had no mention of David. Seems odd... you would think he would be a contender.

If he has a couple more games this month like he's had the last 2, he should be Defensive player of the month hands down! That would get him in the race for DROTY

Great article on a great guy. Amazing thing to remember was that he originally was not going to start his 1st year at NU - but we had a rash of injuries in fall camp (was it Fisher??) and L David was penciled in to start. The rest is history. Who is the next David or Suh for NU. I don't see any on this year's team. Perhaps Santos next year will have the same impact. We had a run of a lot of great players on D - Suh, Dennard, Prince, David as the real studs. This year's team is more of a defense by committee.

Great article on a great guy. Amazing thing to remember was that he originally was not going to start his 1st year at NU - but we had a rash of injuries in fall camp (was it Fisher??) and L David was penciled in to start. The rest is history. Who is the next David or Suh for NU. I don't see any on this year's team. Perhaps Santos next year will have the same impact. We had a run of a lot of great players on D - Suh, Dennard, Prince, David as the real studs. This year's team is more of a defense by committee.

Vincent Valentine is going to be Nebraska's next biggest star. I have been saying this since he committed and signed LOI. According to camp and fall practices, he was causing fits, just manhandling the competition. We also have Peat Jr and Aaron Curry who could be stars as well. LB position, we have some good kids. I think Ziare Anderson will be our lock down LB, along with Michael Rose, Santos and Afalava.