Gene Chizik...... There's the door!

They definitely won a MNC with a lot of smoke and mirrors - and Cam Newton. That had to be one of the worst defenses on a national champion in a long time. Still, Cam wasn't THAT good - as in, not undefeated on the season to defeated in the SEC. That's a long way to fall in two years.

Has the be the worst coach to win a title ever.

• Fire 1

They definitely won a MNC with a lot of smoke and mirrors - and Cam Newton. That had to be one of the worst defenses on a national champion in a long time. Still, Cam wasn't THAT good - as in, not undefeated on the season to defeated in the SEC. That's a long way to fall in two years.

Defenses? They stopped the unstoppable Oregon spread which can score on every play!

Defenses? They stopped the unstoppable Oregon spread which can score on every play!

It's interesting that Chip Kelly is 1-2 in bowl games and was really close to being 0-3 after the nailbiter against Wisconsin last year. I think part of the reason is that bowl opponents have at least a month to prepare for them. I'd much rather face Oregon in a bowl game than during the regular season (excluding the season opener which gives you 9 months to prepare -- see LSU 2011 game). 6 days of preparation can be daunting against that type of offense during the regular season.

It's interesting that Chip Kelly is 1-2 in bowl games and was really close to being 0-3 after the nailbiter against Wisconsin last year. I think part of the reason is that bowl opponents have at least a month to prepare for them. I'd much rather face Oregon in a bowl game than during the regular season (excluding the season opener which gives you 9 months to prepare -- see LSU 2011 game). 6 days of preparation can be daunting against that type of offense during the regular season.

:yeah

Not that it's the magic bullet but having that much time to prepare has to be a good thing. It seems to me that Oregon mainly preys on your mistakes. It's not that they can't be stopped but as soon as you make a mistake, about any of their players can go the distance given just a little room.

As far as the defenses go, here's what I found on a quick search. It doesn't go back very far but it's pretty telling.

Scoring Defense rank of National Champions

2012 - Alabama #1, Notre Dame #2, Georgia #16

2011 - Alabama #1

2010 - Auburn #53

2009 - Alabama #2 (Nebraska #1)

2008 - Florida #4

2007 - LSU #17

:yeah

Not that it's the magic bullet but having that much time to prepare has to be a good thing. It seems to me that Oregon mainly preys on your mistakes. It's not that they can't be stopped but as soon as you make a mistake, about any of their players can go the distance given just a little room.

As far as the defenses go, here's what I found on a quick search. It doesn't go back very far but it's pretty telling.

Scoring Defense rank of National Champions

2012 - Alabama #1, Notre Dame #2, Georgia #16

2011 - Alabama #1

2010 - Auburn #53

2009 - Alabama #2 (Nebraska #1)

2008 - Florida #4

2007 - LSU #17

That's been the rap on Oregon lately that they get into trouble if you have a lot of time to prepare. That didn't help Wiscy though so you also probably need a talented d.

I'm surprised Bama is #1. Only Pitt could score with any consitency this year, and we ruled over the 4th quarter.