Two-thirds of millionaires left Britain to avoid 50p tax rate

I sure don't want the govt to set the salaries for anyone in the private sector - slippery slope to real communism.

The US government has been doing exactly that without falling down the slippery slope into "real communism" for almost 75 years.

How has the US govt been setting private sector wage limits?

You said: "I sure don't want the govt to set the salaries for anyone in the private sector . . ."

Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia....e_United_States

Department of Labor:

http://www.dol.gov/d...tm#.ULfBj-Oe9EI

That's how they've been setting salaries for the private sector.

No comments regarding the rest?

What prevents someone from asking themselves, "Hey, what's the break even point at which I can stall my wage-earning potential to equal my new tax rate?"

Our system of marginal tax rates should ease your fears.

I find few things more amusing than the person who claims that they took a pay cut to $249,999 so that they'd take more money home. :lol:

I sure don't want the govt to set the salaries for anyone in the private sector - slippery slope to real communism.

The US government has been doing exactly that without falling down the slippery slope into "real communism" for almost 75 years.

How has the US govt been setting private sector wage limits?

You said: "I sure don't want the govt to set the salaries for anyone in the private sector . . ."

Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia....e_United_States

Department of Labor:

http://www.dol.gov/d...tm#.ULfBj-Oe9EI

That's how they've been setting salaries for the private sector.

No comments regarding the rest?

I wasn't thinking about the min. wage - more like everyone's wage. But you are correct, min wage has been our govt involvement for many decades and it hasn't led to communism.

What prevents someone from asking themselves, "Hey, what's the break even point at which I can stall my wage-earning potential to equal my new tax rate?"

I find few things more amusing than the person who claims that they took a pay cut to $249,999 so that they'd take more money home. :lol:

I'd like to take a pay cut down to $249k! It would be a nice raise.

I'd like to take a pay cut down to $249k! It would be a nice raise.

Me too. The point was about marginal rates.

I actually heard on TV the other day some Dems talking about making the top level pay the top rate from the first dollar.

I actually heard on TV the other day some Dems talking about making the top level pay the top rate from the first dollar.

Yeah. One of the proposals to try to get around the Norquist pledge. If that were to happen (highly unlikely IMO) they'd have a point. Until then . . . I'll laugh at it.

Ah, that's true. I guess I haven't looked at a tax table lately. I definitely understand what you mean, good point.

Give tax breaks to compensate for the labor challenges.

What do you propose to replace the lost revenue?

Ease up on some of the regulations.

Which regulations?

As in the Hostess Cake situation, the unions need to be realistic as well with their salary demands.

Do you think that being upset about a cut in pay from $48,000 to $25,000 is an unrealistic salary demand?

To say nothing of the fact that Hostess gave the CEO a 300% pay raise at the same time they are demanding everyone else take pay cuts.