A new Political party

I believe that congress should hold the fed accountable. I know you didn't explicitly say this, but holding it accountable is nowhere close to saying that we'd have an "unregulated financial market."

What would you propose to hold the Fed accountable?

Indirectly, I'd answer your question with another question: When a (monstrously huge) bank makes a practice of lending to people they shouldn't have lent to, who should pay the price? You and I?

When those monstrously huge banks make those mistakes we're all going to pay in one way or another.

Directly, I'd shove the 10th amendment in my congressman's face and let him know that a power not specifically granted to the federal government is unconstitutional. So constantly printing money and devaluing our dollar is something they shouldn't be doing anyway. But I understand that this is a viewpoint that, in the 21st century, is considered radical and stupid.

Devaluing the dollar? What?

historicalinflationrates.jpg

You seem focused on the 10th Amendment instead of Art. 1, Sec. 8 giving the US government the power to coin money and to regulate the value thereof.

You seem focused on the 10th Amendment instead of Art. 1, Sec. 8 giving the US government the power to coin money and to regulate the value thereof.

Obviously, quacks like me believe it's an unconstitutional overreach of article 1, section 8 to hand it over to a pseudo-government organization that in reality is answering to colluded shareholders.

But I don't work too hard to convince people of this. I understand that these arguments probably sound stupid to most - it is what it is for me. :)

Unconstitutional or not, we need accountability of the fed, in my opinion.

Obviously, quacks like me believe it's an unconstitutional overreach of article 1, section 8 to hand it over to a pseudo-government organization that in reality is answering to colluded shareholders.

Colluded shareholders?

Unconstitutional or not, we need accountability of the fed, in my opinion.

But what do you mean by accountability? You haven't explained that.

Colluded shareholders?

A bunch of banks who profit from the collective monetary decision making.

I'd start with amending the Dodd Bill yet again so that the Federal Reserve is accountable to the House Financial Services Committee. That's work that Ron Paul started, but was then reversed. You can google the Dodd-Frank financial reform bill if you're curious.

Colluded shareholders?

Ah.

I'd start with amending the Dodd Bill yet again so that the Federal Reserve is accountable to the House Financial Services Committee.

I'm familiar with the audit the fed movement . . . but are you saying that the Federal Reserve should be directly controlled by Congress?

Colluded shareholders?

I'd start with amending the Dodd Bill yet again so that the Federal Reserve is accountable to the House Financial Services Committee. That's work that Ron Paul started, but was then reversed. You can google the Dodd-Frank financial reform bill if you're curious.

Have you been paying any attention to what does (or mostly doesn't) happen in the House? Too much danger of pet projects, goals and just outright stupidity that runs out of the House to put something that needs to stay out of politics right into the hands of men who do nothing but run for reelection.

Just a side note. He wants to take the power of debt ceiling away from congress. Hmmm...doesn't sound like someone who is serious about lowering the debt.

Also . . . I just remembered who originally proposed that the president take that power away from Congress . . .

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/11/30/the-best-idea-in-american-politics-kill-the-debt-ceiling/

That dang big spending power hungry . . . Mitch McConnell. :P

Just a side note. He wants to take the power of debt ceiling away from congress. Hmmm...doesn't sound like someone who is serious about lowering the debt.

Also . . . I just remembered who originally proposed that the president take that power away from Congress . . .

http://www.washingto...e-debt-ceiling/

Another note. The debt ceiling is about paying for debts we all ready have. In the simplest terms, think of it as covering the interest on a credit card. Not raising the debt ceiling is akin to just deciding you don't want to pay the amount due on your credit card. Its a really bad idea.

Another note. The debt ceiling is about paying for debts we all ready have. In the simplest terms, think of it as covering the interest on a credit card. Not raising the debt ceiling is akin to just deciding you don't want to pay the amount due on your credit card. Its a really bad idea.

Agreed! That's why it was routinely voted on for years without hostage taking.

And that is significant? Republicans have stupid ideas too. I thought I have made that clear.

I'd start with amending the Dodd Bill yet again so that the Federal Reserve is accountable to the House Financial Services Committee.

I'm familiar with the audit the fed movement . . . but are you saying that the Federal Reserve should be directly controlled by Congress?

No, not really. HR 459 & S 202 basically aimed at greatly expanding the list of items that the Government Accountability Office can audit.

Have you been paying any attention to what does (or mostly doesn't) happen in the House? Too much danger of pet projects, goals and just outright stupidity that runs out of the House to put something that needs to stay out of politics right into the hands of men who do nothing but run for reelection.

That's the assumption you're making on my ability to understand what's happening in the house by reading through this discussion? Re-read the discussion.

That dang big spending power hungry . . . Mitch McConnell.

And that is significant? Republicans have stupid ideas too. I thought I have made that clear.

So your bolded statements were about McConnell? :lol:

No, not really. HR 459 & S 202 basically aimed at greatly expanding the list of items that the Government Accountability Office can audit.

So you're in favor of auditing the fed and you want them held accountable but you don't want direct control by Congress? What would you do to hold them accountable?

A straightforward question to you, Carl - Are you intent on mincing my words? What significance is there in getting to the very last detail of my opinion on how 'Audit The Fed' should be handled? I support the Audit movement. But I didn't write the bill.

You asked:

"...are you saying that the Federal Reserve should be directly controlled by Congress?"

And I said, "No, not really." I was saying no to direct control. Was that actually difficult for you to understand? I'm asking that genuinely - was it difficult?

A straightforward question to you, Carl - Are you intent on mincing my words? What significance is there in getting to the very last detail of my opinion on how 'Audit The Fed' should be handled? I support the Audit movement. But I didn't write the bill.

You asked:

"...are you saying that the Federal Reserve should be directly controlled by Congress?"

And I said, "No, not really." I was saying no to direct control. Was that actually difficult for you to understand? I'm asking that genuinely - was it difficult?

Yep, that pretty much sums him up. Here is a hint on how Carl works. He gets into a discussion and then instead of sticking with the discussion and contributing to it, he will pick out one or two little tidbits of a post and twist them into something that wasn't even the original intent of the comment or post and gets fixated on that.

It's his way of acting like he is winning a debate. He really doesn't have any intent on actually discussing a topic.