A new Political party

Its very interesting to note how the word 'regulation' has become a bad word, people really, really need to learn more history, then maybe the reason for rules and regulations would make more sense.

As well as the fact that there are different forms of "regulation" itself. Are we talking about specific commerce/banking laws? Or are we talking about the Fed's "regulation" that it routinely performs.

Its very interesting to note how the word 'regulation' has become a bad word, people really, really need to learn more history, then maybe the reason for rules and regulations would make more sense.

As well as the fact that there are different forms of "regulation" itself. Are we talking about specific commerce/banking laws? Or are we talking about the Fed's "regulation" that it routinely performs.

The former. Most people, including many in Congress I'm sure, have no idea what the later even amounts to. And honestly, the later is also a much more complex matter than some make it out to be.

• Plus1 1
  • 8 years later...

Today I learned about the 1854 election where the entire state of Ohio left their existing party and rallied behind a new political party and all of their congressmen were elected under this new platform.

The Anti-Nebraska Party. Those damn Buckeyes have had it in for us from the beginning.

Ohio[edit]

District Incumbent This race
Member Party First elected Results Candidates
Ohio 1 David T. Disney Democratic 1848 Incumbent retired.
New member elected.
Anti-Nebraska gain.
Ohio 2 John Scott Harrison Whig 1852 Incumbent re-elected.
Anti-Nebraska gain.
Ohio 3 Lewis D. Campbell Whig 1848 Incumbent re-elected.
Anti-Nebraska gain.
Ohio 4 Matthias H. Nichols Democratic 1852 Incumbent re-elected.
Anti-Nebraska gain.
Ohio 5 Alfred Edgerton Democratic 1850 Incumbent retired.
New member elected.
Anti-Nebraska gain.
  • Green tick Richard Mott (Anti-Nebraska) 61.62%
  • Henry S. Cowager (Democratic) 38.38%
Ohio 6 Andrew Ellison Democratic 1852 Incumbent lost re-election.
New member elected.
Anti-Nebraska gain.
Ohio 7 Aaron Harlan Whig 1852 Incumbent re-elected.
Anti-Nebraska gain.
Ohio 8 Moses Bledso Corwin Whig 1852 Incumbent retired.
New member elected.
Anti-Nebraska gain.
  • Green tick Benjamin Stanton (Anti-Nebraska) 75.84%
  • Enoch G. Dial (Democratic) 23.10%
  • J. Newell (Unknown) 1.06%
Ohio 9 Frederick W. Green Democratic 1850 Incumbent retired.
New member elected.
Anti-Nebraska gain.
  • Green tick Cooper K. Watson (Anti-Nebraska) 59.92%
  • Josiah S. Plants (Democratic) 40.08%
Ohio 10 John L. Taylor Democratic 1846 Incumbent retired.
New member elected.
Anti-Nebraska gain.
  • Green tick Oscar F. Moore (Anti-Nebraska) 65.32%
  • James W. Davis (Democratic) 34.68%
Ohio 11 Thomas Ritchey Democratic 1852 Incumbent retired.
New member elected.
Anti-Nebraska gain.
Ohio 12 Edson B. Olds Democratic 1848 Incumbent lost re-election.
New member elected.
Anti-Nebraska gain.
Ohio 13 William D. Lindsley Democratic 1852 Incumbent lost re-election.
New member elected.
Anti-Nebraska gain.
Ohio 14 Harvey H. Johnson Democratic 1852 Incumbent retired.
New member elected.
Anti-Nebraska gain.
Ohio 15 William R. Sapp Whig 1852 Incumbent re-elected.
Anti-Nebraska gain.
  • Green tick William R. Sapp (Anti-Nebraska) 58.99%
  • William Dunbar (Democratic) 41.02%
Ohio 16 Edward Ball Whig 1852 Incumbent re-elected.
Anti-Nebraska gain.
  • Green tick Edward Ball (Anti-Nebraska) 58.89%
  • William Galligher (Democratic) 41.11%
Ohio 17 Wilson Shannon Democratic 1852 Incumbent retired.
New member elected.
Anti-Nebraska gain.
Ohio 18 George Bliss Democratic 1852 Incumbent retired.
New member elected.
Anti-Nebraska gain.
Ohio 19 Edward Wade Free Soil 1852 Incumbent re-elected.
Anti-Nebraska gain.
  • Green tick Edward Wade (Anti-Nebraska) 71.07%
  • Eli T. Wilder (Democratic) 28.42%
  • Irad Kelly (Independent) 0.51%
Ohio 20 Joshua Reed Giddings Free Soil 1843 Incumbent re-elected.
Anti-Nebraska gain.
Ohio 21 Andrew Stuart Democratic 1848 Incumbent lost re-election.
New member elected.
Anti-Nebraska gain.
  • Haha 2
  • 2 years later...

Reviving an old thread:

The GOP is hopelessly broke. It is now a cult for the most part.  When the 2 leading candidates for House speaker are alt right, we know the party is broken. 

When Trump leads by large margins in primary polls even though he is saddled with felony charges, 2 impeachments, a sexual abuse conviction, fraudulent business practices, you know the party is broken.   Even if Trump dies of old age, the cult will remain - they will just float to another cult figure to lead them.   If Trump ends up in jail, he will inflame them and it will only get worse for the party. 

The Dems on the other hand, look to an 80 year old for leadership.   I hold out more hope that they are able to moderate themselves than I do the GOP.  

What I don't want to see is a third party during this election cycle if Trump is the GOP nominee - a 3rd party may throw the election to him.  Current polls show Biden defeating Trump - but losing to Halley or DeSantis.  But I do hope a group of leaders, mix for Dem and GOP moderates rise up afterwards and develop a plan to create a party that can represent the broad middle of the political spectrum.   

On 11/30/2012 at 9:46 AM, TGHusker said:

All kind of reaction by repubs and others as to the direction the Repub party should go after the latest election. We have many who say, the conservative message was not pushed properly, or it was pushed but did not have a friendly face. Others say Romney was too moderate, or Romney went too far right, Established repubs controlled the choice of the candidate, tea party ruined it, social conservatives motivated many to vote - social conservatives scared people to vote repub. We've all hear the Noice.

So that brings me to this topic, is a new party needed to balance out / challenge the dems? 3 Options (you may have more to add):

1. Should and Can the republican party reform itself so that it can win the presidential election. If so, what should it look like

2. Should a new party be created as the Republican party fades away

3. Should former repubs/independents flock to the Constitution or Libertarian Party

This is my original post on this thread.   Man have things changed.  I've changed for one and that is a good thing - Independent now in my view point - voting for the best candidate and not just the party.  Back then -  the Tea Party was the issue. Now the Tea Party has exploded into a personality cult under Trump.  Time to put the GOP on the ash heap of history and let it die under the weight of its own stupidity.   

• Plus1 1

What stinks is that for the sane Republicans to leave, they would have to know that for a long time (likely a decade or more)  almost all statewide elections would go to Democrats.  I don't think that would be good at all.  Unless we finally get ranked choice voting for statewide elections; that would be amazing!

I think the first step is that sane Republicans have to be much more forceful pushing back against the MAGA faction of the party and be much more intellectually honest with voters and constituents.  I think just doing that would be very helpful.  A lot of people just need a solid slap across the face.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, funhusker said:

What stinks is that for the sane Republicans to leave, they would have to know that for a long time (likely a decade or more)  almost all statewide elections would go to Democrats.  I don't think that would be good at all.  Unless we finally get ranked choice voting for statewide elections; that would be amazing!

I think the first step is that sane Republicans have to be much more forceful pushing back against the MAGA faction of the party and be much more intellectually honest with voters and constituents.  I think just doing that would be very helpful.  A lot of people just need a solid slap across the face.

Rank voting would be great.  It would take away the power of the parties.     

And yes, many need a slap across the face and a kick in the butt:nutz

• TBH 1