4 team Playoff system will force super conferences.

flatwaterfan

Folks itched & moaned about how the top 2 teams were selected. You usually ticked off 1 maybe 2 teams, the rest of the teams may not like the choice, but at the end of the day they don't really care as it doesn't impact them.

Going to a 4 team playoff system doubles the amount of people that are mad at you at the least. It's only a matter of time where you have 8 or so 1 loss teams. Some of those teams may be conferences that are not that strong. Or you may see 2 loss ahead of 1 loss teams do to SEC hype.

They will expand and then the 2 loss teams will be crying and it will go on and on.

Only way to do this is superconfernces with a true playoff.

The difference is that the #3 team often has a legit gripe that they should be in the championship team. In a 4 team playoff, the #5 team probably only claims that they are #4, which doesn't entitle them to play for the championship, the way I see it. In an 8 team playoff, you've got a couple teams that could claim to squeak into the top 8, which is even farther removed from having a legit claim. In the 64+ NCAA tourney, teams that don't make it should just STFU.

The difference is that the #3 team often has a legit gripe that they should be in the championship team. In a 4 team playoff, the #5 team probably only claims that they are #4, which doesn't entitle them to play for the championship, the way I see it. In an 8 team playoff, you've got a couple teams that could claim to squeak into the top 8, which is even farther removed from having a legit claim. In the 64+ NCAA tourney, teams that don't make it should just STFU.

But at the same time, one of the greatest things about college football that no other sport can claim is the importance of every single game during the regular season. That's why I think that a 6-team playoff is ideal, but I would HATE to see any larger of a playoff than 8 teams. If it ever ends up as a 16-team playoff, you could see teams sitting their starters late in the year like NFL teams do when they don't need the win.

I really don't want to see that. Let's either leave it at 4 teams or make it either a 6- or 8-team playoff and stick with it. IMO, the #9 team that complains about not making it can STFU as well.

There's also the issue of a two loss team having no business being in a playoff knocking off an undefeated team in the first round of said playoff. To me a playoff will ALWAYS lessen the regular season's work by a team. Very few people acknowledge this argument.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I don't care if people want a playoff. When college hits a playoff I won't be mad. But people should stop pretending this is a real fix. It's nothing but a personal preference.

• Fire 1

There's also the issue of a two loss team having no business being in a playoff knocking off an undefeated team in the first round of said playoff. To me a playoff will ALWAYS lessen the regular season's work by a team. Very few people acknowledge this argument.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I don't care if people want a playoff. When college hits a playoff I won't be mad. But people should stop pretending this is a real fix. It's nothing but a personal preference.

Completely agree.

Personally I really enjoy the current set up(it's set up like boxing but where people are forced to play one another at the end) but can absolutely see why people hate it.

Folks itched & moaned about how the top 2 teams were selected. You usually ticked off 1 maybe 2 teams, the rest of the teams may not like the choice, but at the end of the day they don't really care as it doesn't impact them.

Going to a 4 team playoff system doubles the amount of people that are mad at you at the least. It's only a matter of time where you have 8 or so 1 loss teams. Some of those teams may be conferences that are not that strong. Or you may see 2 loss ahead of 1 loss teams do to SEC hype.

They will expand and then the 2 loss teams will be crying and it will go on and on.

Only way to do this is superconfernces with a true playoff.

Not surprisingly that would be worse. We've had several undefeated nonAQs, and if they get left out for not being in the super duper conferences then nothing has improved. Actually this new system made last summer uses a selection committee, which is probably the worst of all subjective worlds.