Players win games

You guys talking about adjustments-do you even know what it means? Can you look at a game even point out adjustments?

Those criticizing the talent level have a legitimate gripe. Those criticizing the recruiting maybe have one, but that it getting better. You have to realize, the 5th year seniors on this team were a class that was patched together when Bo first got here. What were you expecting? He's not Urban Meyer. This is not Alabama. We are not in the SE region. The normal seniors were his second class. It was a good class numbers-wize, but the talent part may have been a little low. His classes have gradually improved over the last three. Last year's class was small, but overall maybe his most talents-maybe because only time will tell.

We have to be patient. Continuity is the key here. He's not getting fired, so you might as well support him. Just like our President, like him or not, you need to support him, because if he fails, we're doomed.

That's kind of a bad analogy, but I'm just trying to make a point, that he aint goin nowhere, so it may be time to get the idea out of your head and worry about more important things.

This. It ain't the 90's (wish it were) and the landscape of college football is changed forever. The reasons we had the talent in those days aren't available anymore to us and most of it was money. We could get the talent here because we had the money and were allowed to use it. That's changed now with NCAA rules. A little harder to convince some of the kids from Compton and places like that to come here and like it or not weather and location IS a big factor. And you ain't gonna win championships with milk drinkers. It has changed. Why else are there almost weekly upsets now, and every year these are happening now. People complained years ago about equality and they got their way.

I think if one looks back they'll realize it isn't the NCAA rules as to why we don't get those type of players anymore. Rather, it was when we joined the Big 12 is when things changed. We weren't allowed to bring in the prop. 48 players any longer. This is when we seemed to see a noticeable change in talent. Everyone sees the SEC as having the best athletes. It's by no coincidence that the SEC has the lowest standards for incoming players to meet.

Very, very, true

Sure, coaches like Nick Saban, Urban Meyer and Brian Kelly make a little bit of a difference when it comes to the way that their team performs on the field. But I guarantee you its not as much as they are given credit for. Players win games, players make plays. Last night, our defensive players did not make plays. It's as simple as that. It's not as if they weren't trying, I believe they gave great effort most of the first half. Bottom line is our defensive talent could not match what Wisconsin was running. We had guys in position to make tackles on each of those long runs, that's the coaches job...get players in position to make plays. They did that. Our players for whatever reason, (lack of focus, discipline, or just plain ability) did not make those plays. When Bo had several NFL players on his defense in '09 and '10 Nebraska was a top 5 defense nationally. We don't have those players now, that's all their is to it. Blame the coaches for lack of recruiting, but I believe recruiting is a big cycle...you won't have top level talent available every year especially in the Big 10, no school does. It's just facts. Bo has his deficiencies, but every coach does. Nick Saban freaks out on his players all the time, don't give me that crap about Pelini's attitude. He cares. He also takes the blame for his players not making plays like he did last night. That's the type of coach we want. One who will stand up for his players even when he knows that he did his job, they didn't do theirs. Let's look to the future, look at the talent we have gaining experience, and get excited about their opportunity to play in a great system and for a great defensive coach.

They have always said, "It's the Jimmy's and Joe's, not the X's and O's." However, I think some schools with success it is definitely coaching (K-State, Northwestern, Oregon State, Loiusville, Stanford) and others it is a combination of good coaching and great talent. I think great talent well coached will usually beat good talent greatly coached (see Univ. of Miami in the 80's-90's).

If you look at the recruiting rankings and look at the polls, it usually bears this out. Right now the recruiting rankings are:

USC

Florida

LSU

Notre Dame

Michigan

Alabama

Georgia

Ohio State

Texas A & M

texas

Auburn

USCe

FSU

Do these teams usually stand at the top of the polls or their respective conferences? There's your answer.

What if I told you that it is the responsibility of COACHING to come up with a gameplan for success coming into each game? Not to make adjustments during the game for things a team didnt show on film, but have a plan prior to the first snap to gain an advantage.

If having an effective game plan going into each week was the #1 priority for our staff what would you grade them?

My point is the exact opposite of the OP. Our COACHES have proven this year that they are unable to set our team up for success. I argue that the PLAYERS, through character and will won despite our poor coaching (see our 5 of last 6 wins). Minnesota is the exception. To be honest, I'm more proud of the players on this team than I ever thought I would be.

Anyone remember Arky St? Yeah that was the game wrist bands were introduced to the defense. Explain to me how that issue was not addressed until then? Oh yeah, that was following a terrible showing at UCLA. Practice anyone? Why was OSU such a shock? How is it that you give up 62 points and weren't aware of your faults. Same goes for Wisky. There are lots of examples of this this season.

Great coaches w elite players win championships (MNC). Saban, Osborne, Switzer, Bowden, Jimmy Johnson

Great coaches w great players play for championships (MNC/CC). Paterno, Osborne, Beamer, Stoops

Great coaches w average players win most of thier games, because they get more out of them. And occasionally play for Div CC, CC.

Snyder, Peterson, McCartney, Sweeney)

Average coaches w average players scrape by above .500 every year, occasionally showing flashes. Usually when they get a few great players.

Ferentz, Mangino, Sarkisian

Bad coaches w average teams get fired after 3-5 yrs. Mike Stoops, Dooley, Neuhisal

Bad coaches w bad teams, well that's usually systemic and a problem w the administration. A good coach can't turn it around and great players won't go there. Rice, Indiana, KU

My dad coached and played at Nebraska and elsewhere and has over 35 yrs of collegiate experience. He said this to my brothers and me heading to the michicgan game (we were talking Snyder): "those in the coaching circle and who KNOW college football think more highly of oftentimes, of WHERE coaches win games rather than how MANY they win elsewhere."

It's really no surprise that Saban is winning at Tide. Same with Miles, Urb, Carroll, et al. But why doesn't Kiffin win? Raiders, UT, USC.

How does Bo win here? Tradition? USC has tradition.

Whose done better? Snyder or Miles. Beamer or Saban. Gundy or Urban?

where does Bo fit in? We've played for 3 CC in 5 yrs. lost all 3. Won at least 9 games each yr, 1 of 4 teams in the WHOLE country to do that last 5 yrs. Won 2 of 4 bowl games. Have put over a dozen players to NFL (don't care who recruited, cared who coached em last). Have a handful of of top 25 wins.

But what's maddening, absolutley maddening is that we still have fumblitis, punt return problems, complete mental breakdowns in week 10, poor opening of games, and blowout losses.

Will great players fix that problem? Do we have great players, but Bo is only a good coach? He SHOULD be winning here, and he IS!!

But it's not convincing is it? 20-7 over KU, miracle agaisnt NW....yet here we are w a chance at victory over a top SEC team and 11 wins!!

One day Bo raises the level of his players, the next they suck it up and miss 13 tackles.

I think it's so damn frustrating cuz we can't place it in a box...with Osborne we knew he was a great coach and when he had good/elite talent he played for and won championships. He did it for 25 yrs. We knew Solich was just good, w elite talent. It was obvious what we were with him. How do we describe Bo? That's what we want, an explanation. Some concrete poured. Some answers.

Now he is in yr 5. Once he gets to yr 7-8? Watch out. By then he will have experience and players. Question is--can we ride the roller coaster long enough for him to get there?

Which I think is why most people are so worked up. We all know deep down that no changes are going to happen which means we are going to be having these same discussions next year when OSU kicks our butt in the BIG champ game.

I'm having a hard time envisioning us beating Michigan in the Legends.