I'm thinking of buying my wife a tablet for Christmas. Any recommendations on which one? Any particular brand to avoid? Any specs to look for? Not sure how it will be used other than maybe the internet, maybe games, book reading, etc.

For that casual of use, I'd definitely recommend the Kindle Fire. Cheap, durable, good third party support. Simple.

We have a Nook. Best thing about the Nook compared to the Kindle Fire is the Nook has expandable memory, whereas the Fire uses the Cloud. They're all WiFi capable, but if you're not in range, none of your cloud stuff is available on the Fire.

Also good thing about the Nook - if I have a problem with it, I just take it over to Barnes & Noble and I can talk to a live person and get a fix whenever I want.

If you're looking for a bigger/badder/better tablet, I think you really can't go wrong with the iPad - although it'll cost you more.

Thanks for the info guys. As for the iPad, the only thing keeping me from buying is the price. I'd hate to spend that kind of money just to see it not get used that much. Otherwise, I'd probably buy her one of those. After doing some online "window" shopping, the Samsung tablet is one I'm considering getting her http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+Galaxy+Tab+2+7.0+with+8GB+Memory+-+Titanium+Silver/5064393.p?id=1218604366681&skuId=5064393 Any positive/negative thoughts?

Thanks for the info guys. As for the iPad, the only thing keeping me from buying is the price. I'd hate to spend that kind of money just to see it not get used that much. Otherwise, I'd probably buy her one of those. After doing some online "window" shopping, the Samsung tablet is one I'm considering getting her http://www.bestbuy.c...1&skuId=5064393 Any positive/negative thoughts?

On the Apple store site, check out their refurbished iPads. I got my daughter the iPad 1, and my wife the iPad 2 and saved a ton of money. When they refurbish them, they put in a new battery and screen. Comes with the same warranty as new one. They offer the 2nd & 3rd generation right now

Thanks for the info guys. As for the iPad, the only thing keeping me from buying is the price. I'd hate to spend that kind of money just to see it not get used that much. Otherwise, I'd probably buy her one of those. After doing some online "window" shopping, the Samsung tablet is one I'm considering getting her http://www.bestbuy.c...1&skuId=5064393 Any positive/negative thoughts?

all i will say is that if there is not a technology nerd in the household and you just want a tablet because they are nice to have, anything over $200 is too much. i got my wife the kindle fire last year and it is just fine. we use it much less than i had hoped we would, but it is nice to have. i think i would consider the google nexus because i am a big fan of google in general. however, samsung knows what it is doing.

edit: do not get a cheap no name brand. those are garbage. stick with google, samsung, kindle, nook. anything under $200 is probably too cheap.