Gun Control

Roark

I guess what I don't get is, why are all these gun laws being proposed, that will affect the common man, when he's not committing the crimes?

Forcing would be criminals to jump through more hoops and giving law enforcement one more arrow in the quiver to get them off of the streets . . .

But that really doesn't do anything for those that already have them...

It's not an immediate fix. There is no immediate fix. You have to allow the laws to work over the long term.

I guess what I don't get is, why are all these gun laws being proposed, that will affect the common man, when he's not committing the crimes?

Forcing would be criminals to jump through more hoops and giving law enforcement one more arrow in the quiver to get them off of the streets . . .

It's not an immediate fix. There is no immediate fix. You have to allow the laws to work over the long term.

Ok, then for example me, who lives in a "sh*tty" area, it makes it tougher for me to protect my family, but the wanna be gang bangers will still have theirs... I'm not sure if I'm keen with the bad guys having the advantage...

No it does not but every current gun owning criminal will be dead eventually.

I wish I could believe you in that, but for each one that dies, one springs up to replace him...

. . . but hopefully by that time those hoops will be in place.

No it does not but every current gun owning criminal will be dead eventually.

I wish I could believe you in that, but for each one that dies, one springs up to replace him...

. . . but hopefully by that time those hoops will be in place.

I wish I could be that optimistic, but I can't...

Gun laws need to be directed to those who commit the crimes or are mentally unstable, not the common man like you and me.

Try to get my permit in NJ, has been a shade easier than trying to meet the pope. I've been fingerprinted and I'm waiting for my background check to comeback. Outside of a blood test and peeing in a cup, I'm not sure what else I can do...

I'm amazed at the people who want to look at guns as being the culperit rather than the person behind the gun.

Who?

If they want one bad enough they'll get it.

By that logic we should legalize methamphetamine and high explosives. (And a few other more outrageous things.)

I'm amazed at the people touting the 2nd ammendment as a right to bear arms for hunting purposes. It's a fact that the 2nd ammedment was written to allow citizens the right to bear arms to protect themselves against unlawful activity which has been upheld several times by the supreme court. It is what it is, the forefathers wanted to ensure the people had the right to protect themselves.

Agreed.

What a person choses to kill is up to the person behind the gun which happens to be a repeated statement all along and is being ignored my many who want to blame the gun.

Again . . . who?

As mentioned in my orginal post, some on HB as well as other sites.

Gun laws need to be directed to those who commit the crimes or are mentally unstable, not the common man like you and me.

Wouldn't mandatory background checks for criminal history and specific mental health issues be directed at those people?

I think if you've committed a felony or have a history of mental instability, you shouldn't be able to purchase a firearm.

Wouldn't mandatory background checks for criminal history and specific mental health issues be directed at those people?

I think if you've committed a felony or have a history of mental instability, you shouldn't be able to purchase a firearm.

Agreed . . . and what would you propose as an enforcement mechanism?

(And I'd probably include violent high level misdemeanors.)

Listen, i'm fine with background checks and investigating the mental history of those wanting to buy a firearm, but further than that, then you're infringing on the 2nd amendment rights...

Listen, i'm fine with background checks and investigating the mental history of those wanting to buy a firearm . . .

:thumbs

but further than that, then you're infringing on the 2nd amendment rights...

I think that the Supreme Court would say that regulation can go beyond that . . . but honestly I doubt that there will be much movement on the issue. The AWB has virtually no shot at passing because Congress won't pull the trigger. This whole push is likely to be a flash in the pan. Etc. (sorry.)

Listen, i'm fine with background checks and investigating the mental history of those wanting to buy a firearm . . .

:thumbs

I mean, if you really wanted to go crazy, if someone in your house had a history of mental instability, that could lessen your chances of getting a firearm...

but further than that, then you're infringing on the 2nd amendment rights...

I think that the Supreme Court would say that regulation can go beyond that . . . but honestly I doubt that there will be much movement on the issue. The AWB has virtually no shot at passing because Congress won't pull the trigger. This whole push is likely to be a flash in the pan. Etc. (sorry.)

I think it's going to stick for another couple months. Their regulation probably could go further than that, but I think beyond that point, it becomes a real slippery slope.

I just want my permit to go through, because I don't like living in a dump without any way to defend myself

Listen, i'm fine with background checks and investigating the mental history of those wanting to buy a firearm, but further than that, then you're infringing on the 2nd amendment rights...

I'd agree here too though it's not a complete fix. A person's mental state can change for whaterver reason in no time all all that a background check wouldn't do any good at that point and time if they already had a gun.