Gun Control

Roark

Obama's proposed executive orders:

1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.

2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.

3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.

4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.

5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.

6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.

7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.

8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).

9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.

10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.

11. Nominate an ATF director.

12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.

13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.

14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.

15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies

16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.

17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.

18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.

19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.

20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.

21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.

22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.

23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2013/01/16/read_president_obama_s_new_proposed_executive_orders_and_legislation_on.html

Obama's proposed executive orders:

1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.

2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.

3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.

4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.

5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.

6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.

7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.

8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).

9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.

10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.

11. Nominate an ATF director.

12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.

13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.

14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.

15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies

16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.

17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.

18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.

19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.

20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.

21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.

22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.

23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.

http://www.slate.com...slation_on.html

Did a quick read, doesn't look crazy or off base. Funding would be an issue for a lot of it.

How about we try the above before we actually start disallowing gun ownership..........

How about we try the above before we actually start disallowing gun ownership..........

I think that only a few on one fringe actually believe that . . . and only a few on the other fringe actually want that.

These are Obama's proposed executive orders that has a certain group worked into a lather of "tyranny!," "impeachment!," etc. They look pretty mundane.

I think that only a few on one fringe actually believe that . . . and only a few on the other fringe actually want that.

These are Obama's proposed executive orders that has a certain group worked into a lather of "tyranny!," "impeachment!," etc. They look pretty mundane.

Personally, I really hope that there is no ban on any type of firearms or magazines. I know it sounds cliche, but guns do not kill people. People really do kill people. The one common denominator that links every murder throughout history. A person did it..........

IMO, it does appear that those in favor of control, at least according to the media and more vocal Dems is an outright ban on "assault" weapons and hi-cap mags. Hope that is not the case. With the fiscal cliff looming, unemployment still about 8%, 77% of Americans with the new "tax" surprise etc.... The last thing we need as Americans is another drawn out divisive political battle that further divides the country.

Personally, I really hope that there is no ban on any type of firearms or magazines. I know it sounds cliche, but guns do not kill people. People really do kill people. The one common denominator that links every murder throughout history. A person did it..........

. . . but it's a heck of a lot easier to kill a couple dozen people with a rifle with a high capacity magazine than it is with a knife. It's a weak argument because you can say the same thing about most inanimate objects. Grenades don't kill people . . . people kill people. Cannons don't kill people . . . people kill people. Etc.

IMO, it does appear that those in favor of control, at least according to the media and more vocal Dems is an outright ban on "assault" weapons and hi-cap mags. Hope that is not the case.

Regarding an attempted assault weapons ban (won't happen IMO) I agree with you. It's largely ineffective. A ban on high capacity magazines MIGHT reduce the lethality of mass shooters . . . but I don't know if I would support it or not without seeing some serious data.

With the fiscal cliff looming, unemployment still about 8%, 77% of Americans with the new "tax" surprise etc.... The last thing we need as Americans is another drawn out divisive political battle that further divides the country.

Meh. This is an important conversation to have. We'll always face problems but that doesn't mean that we should excuse inaction.

• Fire 1

I'm amazed at the people who want to look at guns as being the culperit rather than the person behind the gun. It's a fact that even a loaded gun has close to zero chance of firing unless there's someone or something manipulating the trigger. Unload said gun and it is less deadly than a butter knife.

I'm amazed at the number of people wanting an all out ban on guns or so called 'assult weapons/military style guns'. It's a fact that these 'styles' of guns are of 'styles' only which have an appearance to be dangerous and only appearance. In fact they are no different than, as someone else stated, a glorified .223, .308, 30.6. I wish people would educate themselves before spouting inaccuracies and understand that regulating these weapons will do absolutely ZERO in preventing deaths such as Sandy Hook or any other mass murder with a gun. You have to take a look at the person behind the gun. If they want one bad enough they'll get it.

I'm amazed at the people touting the 2nd ammendment as a right to bear arms for hunting purposes. It's a fact that the 2nd ammedment was written to allow citizens the right to bear arms to protect themselves against unlawful activity which has been upheld several times by the supreme court. It is what it is, the forefathers wanted to ensure the people had the right to protect themselves.

Someone else wrote that some guns were only made for killing, which is half fact. All guns are made for killing which took the place of the bow & arrow and spear to gain an advantage of the amount of distance required to conduct such activity. What a person choses to kill is up to the person behind the gun which happens to be a repeated statement all along and is being ignored my many who want to blame the gun.

We already do disallow certain gun ownership, btw. The Supreme Court has ruled that the 2nd Amendment is not a free pass for any person to own any kind of firearm they want. I'm certain a wide sweeping assault weapons ban (if it somehow passed) would eventually end up in front of the Supreme Court, though I couldn't predict how they'd rule. It would probably depend on what exactly the law ends up restricting.

I think it would probably come down to deciding whether or not the law would probhit an, "entire class of 'arms' that Americans overwhelmingly choose for the lawful purpose of self-defense."

I'm amazed at the people who want to look at guns as being the culperit rather than the person behind the gun.

Who?

If they want one bad enough they'll get it.

By that logic we should legalize methamphetamine and high explosives. (And a few other more outrageous things.)

I'm amazed at the people touting the 2nd ammendment as a right to bear arms for hunting purposes. It's a fact that the 2nd ammedment was written to allow citizens the right to bear arms to protect themselves against unlawful activity which has been upheld several times by the supreme court. It is what it is, the forefathers wanted to ensure the people had the right to protect themselves.

Agreed.

What a person choses to kill is up to the person behind the gun which happens to be a repeated statement all along and is being ignored my many who want to blame the gun.

Again . . . who?

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/01/16/what-everybody-needs-to-know-about-our-constitution-and-gun-control/

The only opinion that matters here is the Supreme Court’s opinion. And the high court has ruled, several times, that the president, the Congress, state and local government all have the power to regulate guns. The Court reaffirmed this interpretation as recently as 2008 in the landmark case, District of Columbia vs. Heller.

Even conservative Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia acknowledged this in his opinion to Heller. He wrote that the Second Amendment is “not unlimited” and is “not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose.”

Nothing in President Obama’s rhetoric or his record supports the right wing’s claim that he wants to confiscate the guns of law abiding Americans. This is a paranoid delusion manufactured out of whole cloth by the National Rifle Association and the even more extreme group, Gun Owners of America. Unfortunately, this toxic nonsense has now seeped into the mainstream of conservative thought

This is one of the things I've been saying for weeks. The 2nd amendment doesn't give you the right to bear ANY arm.

I guess what I don't get is, why are all these gun laws being proposed, that will affect the common man, when he's not committing the crimes?

Forcing would be criminals to jump through more hoops and giving law enforcement one more arrow in the quiver to get them off of the streets . . .

But that really doesn't do anything for those that already have them...