Gun Control

Roark

What pressure is being put on Congress and the President to prevent issues like Newtown compared to gun laws that prevent other crimes? I haven't heard anything other than what is being discussed here that basically you admit is an effort to prevent other murders than the type that happened in Newtown.

"[O]ther murders" don't concern you?

Where did I say they didn't?

Obama's proposed gun control measures:

1) Obama is considering up to 19 executive orders on guns that won’t require Congressional approval. “Actions the president could take on his own are likely to include imposing new limits on guns imported from overseas, compelling federal agencies to improve sharing of mental health records and directing the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to conduct research on gun violence, according to those briefed on the effort. White House aides believe Mr. Obama can also ratchet up enforcement of existing laws, including tougher prosecution of people who lie on their background checks,” the New York Times reported.

It’s unlikely that Obama can significantly alter gun laws through executive order. But he can do much more to enforce existing laws. Over at Mother Jones, Tim Murphy and Adam Serwer detailed 14 possible steps. They include more aggressive prosecution of those who buy guns illegally; background checks for employees of gun dealers; stricter inventory control at federally licensed gun dealers; and a requirement that the FBI to contact state and local agencies when a gun buyer is rejected for mental health reasons.

Tighter enforcement is something even the NRA could well support. For instance: “Increasing the number of prosecutions for lying on background-check forms is an effort that the administration can undertake largely on its own, in part by pressing federal prosecutors to pursue such cases,” according to the New York Times. “It is also one measure that both sides of the gun-control debate have agreed upon.”

http://www.washingto...u-need-to-know/

IMO, 1 and 3 are likely. 2 and 4 probably won't happen.

(BRB, you should be happy about Obama's goals in section 1.)

What pressure is being put on Congress and the President to prevent issues like Newtown compared to gun laws that prevent other crimes? I haven't heard anything other than what is being discussed here that basically you admit is an effort to prevent other murders than the type that happened in Newtown.

The bolded section is an awfully strange accusation if we share the same goals.

You quite clearly implied they didn't.

I have no problem with a discussion about gun laws. My problem is that the national discussion is about gun laws and all pointing to Newton only to be talking about gun laws that in reality, don't have that much to do with Newton.

Example, as I have asked, how does back ground checks prevent something like Newton? How many of these crazies would have been prevented from getting a gun with a back ground check?

In other words, I am not against talking about gun laws. But, let's be honest about what crimes we are trying to prevent so that we can have an honest opinion. That way, people who want to prevent Newtown from happening again can stay focused on that subject.

Now, I will give you my very honest opinion of gun laws. As you know, I am a gun owner. But, I look at this as similar to pitt bull dog owners. There have been enough irresponsible pitt bull owners that it has caused society to want to not have pitt bulls around. I don't blame society for that, I blame irresponsible dog owners.

Similar to that, I blame the gun industry and gun owners for society not wanting guns around. There have been enough irresponsible gun owners to make society want them limited. So, my statement to gun owners and the NRA is STFU until you can be more responsible with the guns you have.

Now, I sure wish we could figure out why certain people think they need to grab a gun and go kill as many people as possible in a school.

Example, as I have asked, how does back ground checks prevent something like Newton? How many of these crazies would have been prevented from getting a gun with a back ground check?

Considering the fact that private sales and gun show sales don't require any background check . . . I'd say slim to none. This is why I support a broader background check system to include mental health information.

In other words, I am not against talking about gun laws. But, let's be honest about what crimes we are trying to prevent so that we can have an honest opinion.

I'd say that I'm talking about preventing as many gun crimes as possible while preserving the right to bear arms.

Now, I sure wish we could figure out why certain people think they need to grab a gun and go kill as many people as possible in a school.

Me too. Let's get some funding heading in that direction ASAP.

I should have my permit to purchase my AR-15 here in Nazi Jersey in about a month hopefully...

I don't really get the fascination . . . also I'm too cheap to enjoy spraying ammo around with a .223.

Give me a .22 if I'm going to do anything rapid fire. If I'm not shooting rapid fire give me a bolt action with some beautiful wood.

Carl, I live in Paterson, NJ. That is one of the highest crime rates in the state of NJ. I don't like the fact that some gun toting wanna be gang banger could roll up into my house, and threaten me, or my wife and her kids.

I don't want to be left unable to defend myself, because now its vogue to chastise people who want to purchase firearms such as this. Now, if I said that I was buying a shotgun, you wouldn't have said a thing. (which I also plan on doing).

There are, on average 2 or 3 shootings/stabbings per night in Paterson. I know a lot of folks on this board don't live in high crime area's, so if some thug wants to come into my house unannounced, mine's going to be bigger than his...

Walksalone...

I know this is off subject but I have to ask. Why in the world would you live in such a place?

Are you talking about this part?

These parts . . .

. . . compelling federal agencies to improve sharing of mental health records and directing the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to conduct research on gun violence, according to those briefed on the effort. . . .

. . . They include more aggressive prosecution of those who buy guns illegally . . . a requirement that the FBI to contact state and local agencies when a gun buyer is rejected for mental health reasons.

. . . As for background checks: An estimated 40 percent of gun sales do not go through licensed dealers; they are private sales that don’t include background checks. . . .

Some of Obama’s recommendations are likely to go beyond narrow gun control. ”The president’s proposals are also expected to include steps for improving school safety and mental health care, as well as recommendations for addressing violence in entertainment and video games,” the Associated Press reported.

Early leaks suggest that he’ll also deal with school safety: “A Democratic lawmaker who met with Biden on Monday said the vice president was likely to have given Obama proposals for allowing schools flexibility in spending federal grant money so they could take steps toward safety, including hiring school resource officers, instituting mental health intervention or making repairs like putting locks on doors.” the AP report said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/01/15/obama-is-rolling-out-his-gun-proposals-heres-what-you-need-to-know/

I like some of that.

We could probably do away with pork in three bills and pay for everything that will be put towards this issue of mental illness.

Question on universal back ground checks.

As a gun owner, you know how the system works now. If you go to a dealer, you fill out a form and they call into a federal number and get the transaction cleared.

So, let's say you and I are hunting buddies and you are looking for a double barrel shot gun and I happen to have one I don't use any more and want to sell it to you. Simple.....$900 and it's yours because we are good friends.

How is a back ground check handled? Is it illegal for me to sell this gun to you because I'm not a licensed dealer? Do I need to go to a licensed dealer to complete the transaction?