Gun Control

Roark

To do everything they ant done can be accomplished in the following manner:

1) require l persons' buying firearms obtain a permit. This includes handgun or rifle.

2) Any sale, this permit has to be recorded and an instant check conducted

3) yearly renewal of permit to make sure no convictions that would now be on record that would have prevented ownership in the first place

4) mandatory training on fire arms similar to NRA hunter safety course This course to be taken after obtaining permit prior to gun purchase.

5) secondary training (prior to purchase again) that is more "tactical" in nature ie shoot don't shoot, low light. civil liability etc.....

6) Proof (again prior to purchase) that you have a permanent manner (ie safe) in order to secure your firearms to prevent another SHES issue. You know keep a wack job criminal, from breaking into a house, murdering the owner and stealing the lawfully owned firearms.

7) let owners know if their firearms are compromised and used in a crime they can be held civilly and criminally liable

8) Learn the difference between a clip and magazine if you want to sound even remotely intelligent about gun discussion

9) Allow Fed/State and local databases to interface

The above took about 3 minutes to think. Made no mention of caliber, magazine capacity or firearms function and will do more to control gun violence than anything this admn has thought of. (AND NO I HAVE NO IDEA THEIR THOUGHTS) only that it includes limiting ownership by citizens.

They simply want to enact more laws to prosecute people for breaking existing laws. Stupid.

To finally add, criminals to not obey laws. That is why they are criminals. That is why the a$$ clown in Colrado and the clown in Newton brought guns to "gun free zones" and why they MURDERED people. They are criminals. Laws are for those who obey them.

Just like you cannot legislate morality (ie abortion, gay rights), you cannot legislate the extinction of evil (ie gun laws)

http://news.msn.com/...ewtown-massacre

Umm... Isn't New York just pushing the issue onto other states by giving people the option to sell this stuff out of state?

New York is doing what New York can do. They can't force others to act. At least they are taking a step.

True, but eventually they're(the Federal Government) is going to have to have some sort of buy-back program or something if they're going to force people to give up anything. To me, New York is just kicking the rock in someone else's yard and that's acceptable to them because they're acting first. Instead of getting rid of assault rifles and big clips, they're just going to push them into other states. All the gangbangers in New Jersey are going to have more guns to go after Walksalone now.

Do I need to go to a licensed dealer to complete the transaction?

That's probably the most likely answer. Head on over to the local gun shop and have them run the check. Probably for a nominal fee.

Not saying it's a bad idea but that's not going to happen. You and I know enough guys that own guns (not criminals) that simply won't do that.

How would you go about registering all guns that exist today in the hands of civilians?

I don't know that I would support mandatory registration . . . but my guess is that people who own guns now would be required to register them by a certain date or face prosecution.

Again, not saying it's a good or bad idea. But, do you honestly think people will do that?

Take a place like some neighborhoods in Chicago or NYC. Do you really think that all of those people who have hand guns are going to walk into a court house with their guns to register them?

That's probably the most likely answer. Head on over to the local gun shop and have them run the check. Probably for a nominal fee.

Not saying it's a bad idea but that's not going to happen. You and I know enough guys that own guns (not criminals) that simply won't do that.

How would you go about registering all guns that exist today in the hands of civilians?

I don't know that I would support mandatory registration . . . but my guess is that people who own guns now would be required to register them by a certain date or face prosecution.

Again, not saying it's a good or bad idea. But, do you honestly think people will do that?

Take a place like some neighborhoods in Chicago or NYC. Do you really think that all of those people who have hand guns are going to walk into a court house with their guns to register them?

My answer to both: Yes I think that people will do that . . . unless they're willing to risk the consequences. Some people are quite unwilling to commit crimes.

My answer to both: Yes I think that people will do that . . . unless they're willing to risk the consequences. Some people are quite unwilling to commit crimes.

In my opinion, the majority of those who own "assualt" or military rifles, and even many handgun owners would probably not register them. The reason is that they fear new legislation that would alter their future ownership of such weapons.. Again, just my opinion from speaking with a number of firearms owners.

And to address my previous "straw man" argument, such new regulations would be extremely expensive to implement and enforce. Maintaining such a massive national database, along with dealing with those who refuse to comply would require hurculean effort and a great many resources.

Just glanced at an article that said maybe the best way to curb guns is to stop the "War on Drugs." That would indirectly take away the need/want for some of these crazier guns from the market, and we'd work on two problems at once.

Thats one of those deals that sounds good on paper, but would that get the guns out of the criminals hands...

Probably not...

No, an unlicensed individual can sell to another unlicensed individual that is a resident of his own state:

http://www.atf.gov/f...censed-transfer

Edit: Carl, maybe you were speculating on future changes, not asking what the letter of the law is right now.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/01/new-nra-ad-comes-under-attack-86268.html?hp=t3_3

“Are the president’s kids more important than yours?” the ad’s narrator asks. “Then why is he skeptical about putting armed security in our schools when his kids are protected by armed guards at their schools? Mr. Obama demands the wealthy pay their fair share of taxes, but he’s just another elitist hypocrite when it comes to a fair share of security.”

It makes it very difficult to have a rational debate about gun control when one of the leading groups in the discussion is not even bordering on being rational.

http://www.politico....68.html?hp=t3_3

“Are the president’s kids more important than yours?” the ad’s narrator asks. “Then why is he skeptical about putting armed security in our schools when his kids are protected by armed guards at their schools? Mr. Obama demands the wealthy pay their fair share of taxes, but he’s just another elitist hypocrite when it comes to a fair share of security.”

It makes it very difficult to have a rational debate about gun control when one of the leading groups in the discussion is not even bordering on being rational.

It is melodramatic for sure, but irrational? No. My question would be are the "armed guards" actually Secret Service or school employees (guards). The Board of Education in DC has armed protection as do most gov't buildings.

Chicago led the nation last year with 500+ homicides, but yet the White House never convened a committee to study this. Is it because the inner city children are not as important? The majority were results of gang violence? The fact that approx 98% were caused by illegally purchased/owned firearms and a very small amount included the dreaded assault rifle? The fact that even one of the Police Commissioners said banning assault weapons wouldn't help.

http://www.wnd.com/2...-do-in-chicago/