Gun Control

Roark

I should have my permit to purchase my AR-15 here in Nazi Jersey in about a month hopefully...

I don't really get the fascination . . . also I'm too cheap to enjoy spraying ammo around with a .223.

Give me a .22 if I'm going to do anything rapid fire. If I'm not shooting rapid fire give me a bolt action with some beautiful wood.

I should have my permit to purchase my AR-15 here in Nazi Jersey in about a month hopefully...

I don't really get the fascination . . . also I'm too cheap to enjoy spraying ammo around with a .223.

Give me a .22 if I'm going to do anything rapid fire. If I'm not shooting rapid fire give me a bolt action with some beautiful wood.

Carl, I live in Paterson, NJ. That is one of the highest crime rates in the state of NJ. I don't like the fact that some gun toting wanna be gang banger could roll up into my house, and threaten me, or my wife and her kids.

I don't want to be left unable to defend myself, because now its vogue to chastise people who want to purchase firearms such as this. Now, if I said that I was buying a shotgun, you wouldn't have said a thing. (which I also plan on doing).

There are, on average 2 or 3 shootings/stabbings per night in Paterson. I know a lot of folks on this board don't live in high crime area's, so if some thug wants to come into my house unannounced, mine's going to be bigger than his...

Carl, I live in Paterson, NJ. That is one of the highest crime rates in the state of NJ. I don't like the fact that some gun toting wanna be gang banger could roll up into my house, and threaten me, or my wife and her kids.

I don't want to be left unable to defend myself, because now its vogue to chastise people who want to purchase firearms such as this. Now, if I said that I was buying a shotgun, you wouldn't have said a thing. (which I also plan on doing).

There are, on average 2 or 3 shootings/stabbings per night in Paterson. I know a lot of folks on this board don't live in high crime area's, so if some thug wants to come into my house unannounced, mine's going to be bigger than his...

In that case my personal preference would be a tricked out home defense shotgun. Birdshot if concerned about wall penetration . . . #4 buck if not.

I think few things would make a home invader fill his pants quicker than the sound of a racking 870.

• Fire 1

In that case my personal preference would be a tricked out home defense shotgun. Birdshot if concerned about wall penetration . . . #4 buck if not.

I think few things would make a home invader fill his pants quicker than the sound of a racking 870.

Trust me that works as well, but the shotgun is for the wife, the rifle is for me...

Not to mention, a couple years ago Paterson laid off half it's police force, so it's almost like Dodge City...

I agree with keeping guns out of felons hands. However, if people think that is going to stop stuff like Newtown they are mistaken.

No one has said that it's possible (or likely) to totally stop gun homicides. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't aim for (pun unintended) reduction.

When was the last time one of these psychos was a felon?

People are killed with guns outside of mass shootings. A 2008 study out of Chicago showed that 91 percent of homicide offenders had been arrested prior to committing the offense. Outside of mass shootings it appears that murderers (admittedly using the words loosely interchangeably) are very likely to have criminal records. As far as I can tell it's not broken down by severity. Regardless, it seems quite relevant.

http://www.chicagoju...Chicago_CPD.pdf

Hmmm...I thought the discussion was about preventing crazy people from walking into schools, malls, theaters and spraying the crowd with bullets and killing 10-20 people. That is what started this discussion and what is pushing it on.

I agree with keeping guns out of felons hands. However, if people think that is going to stop stuff like Newtown they are mistaken.

No one has said that it's possible (or likely) to totally stop gun homicides. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't aim for (pun unintended) reduction.

When was the last time one of these psychos was a felon?

People are killed with guns outside of mass shootings. A 2008 study out of Chicago showed that 91 percent of homicide offenders had been arrested prior to committing the offense. Outside of mass shootings it appears that murderers (admittedly using the words loosely interchangeably) are very likely to have criminal records. As far as I can tell it's not broken down by severity. Regardless, it seems quite relevant.

http://www.chicagoju...Chicago_CPD.pdf

Hmmm...I thought the discussion was about preventing crazy people from walking into schools, malls, theaters and spraying the crowd with bullets and killing 10-20 people. That is what started this discussion and what is pushing it on.

That's what initiated the discussion nationwide, however, many of us have long been proponents of gun regulations.

So, you are taking a tragedy and making political gains on it to affect other issues and ignoring the efforts to help prevent the a future tragedy like what started the discussion.

No, after the tragedy, more people are finally willing to talk gun control. In what way are we "ignoring the efforts to help prevent the a future tragedy"? Seriously, what are we ignoring? We've talked about the mental health aspect, and I've agreed we need to do more. But I also think there needs to be regulation on what guns are available for purchase. I'm exploiting a tragedy because I talk about these issues? That's asinine. What you are doing now is trying to deflect from the issues Carl brought up by saying "well you're just using the tragedy to push your politics". If we can't talk about these things now, then when can we???

• Fire 2

You're free to limit your side of the discussion as you see fit. If you prefer to discuss gun control measures that are attempting to reduce the lethality of mass shootings you can certainly do that.

I think that a topic about gun control is a decent place to discuss gun control.

• Fire 3

What pressure is being put on Congress and the President to prevent issues like Newtown compared to gun laws that prevent other crimes? I haven't heard anything other than what is being discussed here that basically you admit is an effort to prevent other murders than the type that happened in Newtown.

"[O]ther murders" don't concern you?

What pressure is being put on Congress and the President to prevent issues like Newtown compared to gun laws that prevent other crimes? I haven't heard anything other than what is being discussed here that basically you admit is an effort to prevent other murders than the type that happened in Newtown.

1. Gun control would help prevent all murders.

2. People have talked about regulating the sales of ammunition to prevent mass killings like Newtown and Aurora.

3. Why do you talk about preventing "other murders" as though it is a bad thing?