Gun Control

Roark

http://www.politico....68.html?hp=t3_3

“Are the president’s kids more important than yours?” the ad’s narrator asks. “Then why is he skeptical about putting armed security in our schools when his kids are protected by armed guards at their schools? Mr. Obama demands the wealthy pay their fair share of taxes, but he’s just another elitist hypocrite when it comes to a fair share of security.”

It makes it very difficult to have a rational debate about gun control when one of the leading groups in the discussion is not even bordering on being rational.

And when those making the decisions continue to call a magazine a "clip". Those go in your hair.

http://www.politico....68.html?hp=t3_3

“Are the president’s kids more important than yours?” the ad’s narrator asks. “Then why is he skeptical about putting armed security in our schools when his kids are protected by armed guards at their schools? Mr. Obama demands the wealthy pay their fair share of taxes, but he’s just another elitist hypocrite when it comes to a fair share of security.”

It makes it very difficult to have a rational debate about gun control when one of the leading groups in the discussion is not even bordering on being rational.

And when those making the decisions continue to call a magazine a "clip". Those go in your hair.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=9313_10349_15457

Maybe you should tell that to this company that sells "magazines and clips".

Really? Shooters (myself included) often casually refer to them as clips. Magazine is more appropriate . . . but clip is quite common slang.

Edit: Sort of like calling a telescopic sight a scope . . .

It is melodramatic for sure, but irrational? No. My question would be are the "armed guards" actually Secret Service or school employees (guards). The Board of Education in DC has armed protection as do most gov't buildings.

The main factual problem that I see is that as far as I know Obama has never said that we shouldn't have armed guards in schools.

Chicago led the nation last year with 500+ homicides, but yet the White House never convened a committee to study this. Is it because the inner city children are not as important?

Did they commission a study on homicides outside of inner city areas? If not . . . I'm not sure that you can credibly imply that the White House doesn't care as much about inner city children . . .

This must be one of those rare areas where increased spending is a good thing.

• Fire 1

FYI

http://www.knewance....v-magazine.html

A Deputy friend of mine hits me in the head every time I make that mistake. The bruise(s) are healing up nicely.

You can teach an old horse new tricks, it's a matter of voltage.

Doesn't mean that you won't hear a magazine called a clip 50% of the time at the range . . .

(BTW, I have an old 96/38 Swedish Mauser that uses stripper clips. I really need to get back into that project . . .)

• Fire 1

It is melodramatic for sure, but irrational? No. My question would be are the "armed guards" actually Secret Service or school employees (guards). The Board of Education in DC has armed protection as do most gov't buildings.

The main factual problem that I see is that as far as I know Obama has never said that we shouldn't have armed guards in schools.

Chicago led the nation last year with 500+ homicides, but yet the White House never convened a committee to study this. Is it because the inner city children are not as important?

Did they commission a study on homicides outside of inner city areas? If not . . . I'm not sure that you can credibly imply that the White House doesn't care as much about inner city children . . .

This must be one of those rare areas where increased spending is a good thing.

Unsure if the study for the years listed was the inner city or all of Chicago proper. Just pointing out that last year over 500 homicides were committed. Outside of Chicago, not one peep about national gun control.

FYI

http://www.knewance....v-magazine.html

A Deputy friend of mine hits me in the head every time I make that mistake. The bruise(s) are healing up nicely.

You can teach an old horse new tricks, it's a matter of voltage.

Doesn't mean that you won't hear a magazine called a clip 50% of the time at the range . . .

(BTW, I have an old 96/38 Swedish Mauser that uses stripper clips. I really need to get back into that project . . .)

That is a nice rifle!

That is a nice rifle!

Still need to get it drilled and tapped. Probably the coolest part is the old cardboard cartons of 1950s vintage ball ammo still in the original stripper clips. The bullets are awkwardly long and plated in some silver colored metal . . . definitely not your normal FMJ.

Like these:

ammo2.jpg

Arguing semantics like clip vs magazine when debating issues like gun control is hilarious. It's completely counter productive and only serves to troll. All it does is derail a conversation that could, in theory, be fruitful.

Yes, there is technically a difference between clips and magazines. Yes, many people use them interchangeably, even those who own and frequently use firearms. And yes, there is a time and place for the clps vs magazines crusade. No, real discussions involving gun control are not one of those times or places.