Playing God - the afterlife

They'd have to believe in me. And demonstrate that belief by loving me and loving others as themselves.

What if I'm a good person, never committed a crime so much as speeding. Ran a soup kitchen for the poor. But I didn't believe in God. I'm out?

What about a person who makes $20 million a year. He hordes wealth for himself, doesn't break laws, but doesn't help anyone else either beyond giving a token amount to charity. But he believes in God. Prays on the street corner for everyone to see. He's in?

Both thought-provoking scenarios. I don't know the answers with certainty. I don't think any *person* really does know for sure. Fortunately, the one making the decisions is omniscient and can read men's hearts.

But what I'd say is this: In the first hypothetical, since the person doesn't believe in God he shouldn't really expect to go to heaven. In the second hypo, it sounds like the wealth hoarder isn't demonstrating a love of God or others. jmho

btw, In my earlier post I was paraphrasing what Jesus said in Mark 12:29.

They'd have to believe in me. And demonstrate that belief by loving me and loving others as themselves.

What if I'm a good person, never committed a crime so much as speeding. Ran a soup kitchen for the poor. But I didn't believe in God. I'm out?

What about a person who makes $20 million a year. He hordes wealth for himself, doesn't break laws, but doesn't help anyone else either beyond giving a token amount to charity. But he believes in God. Prays on the street corner for everyone to see. He's in?

What makes you a good person Junior? Is there some kind of objective standard at work in this hypothetical scenario?