Playing God - the afterlife

Heard this being discussed the other day and thought it was a pretty interesting topic. If you were God, "The" God, the one-and-only, and you had created this joint and we were all your children, and you had this groovy afterlife you wanted all your children to join you in when they die, how would you separate "the wheat from the chaff?"

tl;dr: If you were God, what would be your criteria for allowing humans into heaven?

I would offer an invitation for all to come.

That seems reasonable and fair. But, would you have any deal breakers or stipulations associated with such an invitation?

Only if you consider them accepting the invitation a stipulation.

Might have to define what "accepting" the invitation means. Surely, repeatedly claiming that you don't exist, that the man called Jesus is not your son, was not immaculately conceived, that your book is simply the work of drunken monks, etc. would be some sort of sign that the invitation was not accepted.

Might have to define what "accepting" the invitation means. Surely, repeatedly claiming that you don't exist, that the man called Jesus is not your son, was not immaculately conceived, that your book is simply the work of drunken monks, etc. would be some sort of sign that the invitation was not accepted.

It's really not terribly complicated. If they accept it, it's simply a decision to believe that it exists, that it is what it claims to be and to claim it. What confuses people, and I don't understand why, is that there aren't any rules, caveats or stipulations other than that. The reason there aren't any is because there is no need for them - if you believe it and accept it, your life reflects that as a natural response and outpouring of what you place your faith, hope and trust in. The things this results in are not requirements, but responses.

It's just like being in love. If I am in love with someone, I want what's best for them, I am honest with them, I look out for them and cherish them. I don't do these things as requirements to love that person, but they very naturally occur because of my love for them. Obviously, we would all agree, if I tell my wife I really love her, and then flirt and have inappropriate relationships with other women and expect her to still love me (even though she will), that is not true love on my part.

How can they accept your invitation if they don't believe you exist?

They can't, unfortunately.

They'd have to believe in me.

I wouldn't force people to believe in me. We've been given the ability to think and make decisions for ourselves, regardless of whether you believe in free will or not. If someone didn't believe in me I'd still give them the opportunity to join me in the after-life.

I think I'd extend an invitation to everybody. I think even the best human beings have done questionable things in their time. If I controlled the after-life, I would just make it so no harm could come to the souls of the people there.

I think I would also make it far easier to "believe in me" since the stakes for not doing so would be so high. I'd kinda... be around a bit. Visibly and such.

otoh, with the stakes being so high it seems like people would make more of an effort to find out for themselves. Like the Holy Spirit stuff. It’s something you can actually experience for yourself. Sure, some of the stuff you see on TV is fake. There are lies intermixed with the truth. But there is some truth to it. A person can be overcome by the Holy Spirit. And when that happens they won’t have any doubts about the Lord.

By the way, this is a controversial subject within Christianity—receiving the Holy Spirit and whether or not it's necessary. I suspect it’s controversial because there are a lot of ministers/priests/clergymen who—for whatever reason—have not received the Holy Spirit. I’m no expert in the matter. But I know it doesn’t come to everyone.

I was Christian for 40 years. Not one time did I ever meet anyone that I could see/tell/observe/know who was "filled with the Holy Spirit." I was devout as can be, but I never, not one time, ever felt that I was "filled with the Holy Spirit." I never felt Him moving within me, guiding my actions, or inspiring me. The things I felt, saw, did, and knew were all quite clearly coming from me. I threw myself wholeheartedly into my faith, yet there was nothing there, nothing at all. In fact, as a teenager I used to frequently pray for God to send his spirit to me, to help me, to guide me, and not one time during all that fervent prayer, devoutly believing, did I ever feel in any way as if I had the hand of The Lord on me. It was always all me.

I think, were I an omnipotent god, I wouldn't make such things so hard to perceive. I think I would make that pretty overtly obvious, kinda like a really nice Christmas sweater that you could put on and everyone would see it and say, "I need to get me some of that awesome sweater like that guy has." Then there would be some really easy way to get that sweater, like a simple prayer and a tangible answer.

• Fire 2