2013 OL

He's out there because no one else is better yet. I agree that he hasn't looked very good though. He's alright at run blocking, but just can't match up against a decent pass rusher. He wasn't very good at guard either. I expect he'll continue to rotate in for sirles next year, but it would be nice to see sterup or price step up. Both seem to have a lot of potential.

Rodriguez is a good example of why OL is the hardest position to forecast in recruiting and why it's so important to keep a lot of players in the pipeline to account for the inevitable misses. It's also the hardest position to fix quickly as it typically takes a few years for players to be ready physically and mentally to contribute.

Last year's undersized class aside, we've done a good job of restocking the roster with OL. We need to finish out this class with a few more to continue our progress there.

Well, lost his job at guard and isn't a starter at tackle so I'm pretty sure there are people who are better. We rotate our line more than about anyone in the country which I'm generally in favor of but if he can't get it done either give someone else a chance or stick with your starters.

2010 Recruits

Jamarcus Hardrick **** (JUCO) Exhausted Eligibility

Mike Moudy *** Jr.

Andrew Rodriguez **** Sr.

Jake Cotton ** (DE) Jr.

not a DE

Pretty sure he meant he was a two-star DE coming out of high school.

Mav is right. Jake will help us next year a ton.

2010 Recruits

Mike Moudy *** Jr.

Jake Cotton ** (DE) Jr.

not a DE

Not that I want to defend Hedley but... :sarcasm

He's out there because no one else is better yet. I agree that he hasn't looked very good though. He's alright at run blocking, but just can't match up against a decent pass rusher. He wasn't very good at guard either. I expect he'll continue to rotate in for sirles next year, but it would be nice to see sterup or price step up. Both seem to have a lot of potential.

Rodriguez is a good example of why OL is the hardest position to forecast in recruiting and why it's so important to keep a lot of players in the pipeline to account for the inevitable misses. It's also the hardest position to fix quickly as it typically takes a few years for players to be ready physically and mentally to contribute.

Last year's undersized class aside, we've done a good job of restocking the roster with OL. We need to finish out this class with a few more to continue our progress there.

Well, lost his job at guard and isn't a starter at tackle so I'm pretty sure there are people who are better. We rotate our line more than about anyone in the country which I'm generally in favor of but if he can't get it done either give someone else a chance or stick with your starters.

I think it's pretty obvious that I meant he was better than the alternatives to play backup tackle, not that he was our best lineman.

Also,I think we do a pretty good job with our line rotation. We basically played a seven man rotation on the line this year, with pensick and Rodriguez spelling the starters. Not sure why you think that would lead the nation. We typically had about the same numbers rotating in the glory years. It helps to keep your guys fresh and wear down the opponent, particularly when running an up tempo offense like ours.

I think a good point was made above that arod plays better as a sub, where his conditioning doesn't come into play as much. Hopefully he can get in better shape to play the third tackle again next year, or perhaps one of the well regarded youngsters will be ready by then (sterup or price).

2010 Recruits

Mike Moudy *** Jr.

Jake Cotton ** (DE) Jr.

not a DE

Is he a tackle or a guard?

I think it's pretty obvious that I meant he was better than the alternatives to play backup tackle, not that he was our best lineman.

Also,I think we do a pretty good job with our line rotation. We basically played a seven man rotation on the line this year, with pensick and Rodriguez spelling the starters. Not sure why you think that would lead the nation. We typically had about the same numbers rotating in the glory years. It helps to keep your guys fresh and wear down the opponent, particularly when running an up tempo offense like ours.

I think a good point was made above that arod plays better as a sub, where his conditioning doesn't come into play as much. Hopefully he can get in better shape to play the third tackle again next year, or perhaps one of the well regarded youngsters will be ready by then (sterup or price).

I kind of felt like our tackles rotate so much bc the coaches were hoping someone would actually claim the job and they were auditioning.

We have a quarterback that turns the ball over when he is under pressure and he was usually under too much pressure from the edges.

I disagree about auditioning them. Seemed to me that qvale and sirles were clearly the first team and arod just rotated in to give them breaks.

We did struggle at times with edge rushers, but I blame Taylor for some of that. His pocket presence has improved immensely, but he has a tendency to bail early instead of stepping up into the pocket. It was particularly obvious in the bowl game (though it's hard to blame him in that one). Considering the plays he makes on his own, it's something I can live with, but it can make the protection look worse than it actually is.

Note that I'm not claiming we had outstanding pass blocking all year. I thought it was mostly adequate though and that we had pretty darn good blocking overall on the ground.

I also thought I did a pretty good job of stating that I'm fine with the rotation idea but if you've got a guy he can't get it done, try something different.

Do you have any examples of another team that rotates their offensive lineman as much as we do? Admittedly I don't pay very close attention to other teams lines but I watch quite a bit of football and haven't noticed anyone rotating in very much, let alone flipping their tackles from one side to the other.

Sorry, I don't track the line rotations at other schools, but it's something Nebraska has done for years, if and when they had the bodies available. I can specifically remember treu playing swing tackle as the third tackle in 95, by the way. Pretty sure I remember murtha flipping sides as well. Not every tackle seems to be able to switch sides, but it's not that uncommon.