Greatest NU Offensive Lineman

TGHusker

Besides Dominic Raiola, I cannot think of one OL from the 2000's that should be on this list. Is that because:

1. Style of offense has changed - we've passed much more than in previous decades - thus less of an emphasis on run blocking & pancakes

2. Poor recruiting

is it me or do you ask this in each of these threads you've started?

I think it is you. First time I asked this question. It was an honest ?? Can you think of a post-Solich OL that should be on this list? I cannot and I don't have an answer. The positive answer is that our style of offence has changed and we are more balanced run to pass - thus less of a chance of a Outland winner. The negative answer is that we haven't recruited and develope OL like we use to. :dunno

From the DT thread....thought so

Outside of Suh, I don't have anyone ranked beyond 2000 - have we been that poor since then relatively speaking or am I just forgetful. Maybe an honorable mention for Crick and Turner.

...so I guess you are forgetful :)

Besides Dominic Raiola, I cannot think of one OL from the 2000's that should be on this list. Is that because:

1. Style of offense has changed - we've passed much more than in previous decades - thus less of an emphasis on run blocking & pancakes

2. Poor recruiting

is it me or do you ask this in each of these threads you've started?

I think it is you. First time I asked this question. It was an honest ?? Can you think of a post-Solich OL that should be on this list? I cannot and I don't have an answer. The positive answer is that our style of offence has changed and we are more balanced run to pass - thus less of a chance of a Outland winner. The negative answer is that we haven't recruited and develope OL like we use to. :dunno

From the DT thread....thought so

Outside of Suh, I don't have anyone ranked beyond 2000 - have we been that poor since then relatively speaking or am I just forgetful. Maybe an honorable mention for Crick and Turner.

...so I guess you are forgetful :)

Good catch!! I am forgetful. I'll try not to come across as cynical. :ahhhhhhhh Maybe it is my age - always dreaming for the 'good old days' when we had many team and individual awards. I need to keep looking forward.

And, i also agree to an extent that our style of play, as well as the style of play of football in general in those days did not require the near exclusive use of the taller, lankier type of lineman we're accustomed to today. Back then it was more about power and center of gravity. We utilized numerous shorter, stockier types of guys. Now-a-days it's all about height. The 6'6's, 6'7's for the sake of range and reach and being able to get the athleticism out of a 320 pounder.

It's just a different game today than it was then. It's no different than trying compare Martinez to Frazier, in my eyes anyways.

excellent observation

You covered most of the ones i could think of. hmm

One of my favorites was Richie Incognito.

Matt Slausen,and Russ Hochstein.were pretty good too.

Great list. My short term (year 2000 and forward) must be suffering. Richie, the PF penalty, Incognito had a short fuse and mean streak - which made him a pretty good OL in my opinion. I can live wt some of his PF - he was normally coming to someone's aid or blowing some defender out of his shoes - passion. It is those drive ending 5 yard offside penalties that drive me nuts.

I think "back in the day" we ran the majority of the time so we could recruit big "corn fed" kids to pancake, and run people over. Pretty sure it was Weigert that said they used to laugh at the d-linemen before the snap,because they knew what was coming and couldn't stop it. :D I remember huge holes for the runners, and opposing defensive players being completely beat down by the 4th quarter. I'm not sure that's even possible to do any more, and probably not a fair comparison to todays game.

Good observation. Would you place them on this list?

I personally can't put down a ranking list. I can only say which one's were quality players and quality contributors. Above average or elite as you would say. If you ask me about Offensive Lineman that stand out since 2001, the players that come to mind are; Ricky Henery (probably because he is a friend and he was a hell of a OL), Tyler Moore, Mike Caputo, Justin Jackson, Marcel Jones, Carl Nicks, Dominic Raiola (more than 10 years), Matt Slauson and Spencer Long.

I STRONGLY agree with accountability about the S&C. We use to be ELITE, but it seems like we have slacked a lot in this department. To me, our defense shows how much it has effected us. I don't know exactly whats going on, but I don't see weight gain, or anyone really getting better, besides those that come in motivated to be the best they can and I am not sure if thats credit to S&C Coach or what. Burkhead, Heard, Bell, Abdullah and Cross are examples of some players I speak of. These kids are mentioned repeatedly about staying after practice working out or hitting the weights. Not one mentions the extreme workouts that Dobson puts them through.

Now I dont think our S&C is lacking, but it's not the obvious advantage we used to have. Does anyone really have an "advantage" in this aspect anymore as far as secrets and ideas goes? It basically comes down to motivation and desire to work at it. As far as weight gain and that stuff, I dont know that that's actually required anymore in this speed game now-a-days. Weight gain for lineman? That's still there. Just look at Sterrup.

I've got to go with Wiegert on this one. I just have replays in my head of that guy being the first guy down the field lead blocking out front. He was big, physical, yet so damn athletic it was impressive. He also always seemed to key on the right guy when he was out there paving the way for the man with the ball. I'm sure some of the older guys would probably be higher on my list of all time favorites if I had seen them play more.

I too am a huge fan of Incognito. We need a badass or two on this team like Richie.

Mick Tinglehoff wasn't too shabby of a player. But one of the toughest guys that if you talk to former players was Jim Scott. All Big 8 Center a couple of times and drafted by the Bears but decided he was tired of the game so he walked away and gave his money back even though he could have kept it.

Mick Tinglehoff wasn't too shabby of a player. But one of the toughest guys that if you talk to former players was Jim Scott. All Big 8 Center a couple of times and drafted by the Bears but decided he was tired of the game so he walked away and gave his money back even though he could have kept it.

That's my father's cousin. So technically my cousin as well, but his playing days were beyond my days, so I didn't feel it would be great for me to mention him, as I never witnessed him play. Stories from my father and grandfather, he was an absolute stud. Hall of Fame for here and the Vikings, I would only imagine so.