**** Official Hockey Thread **** (NHL & College)

walksalone

I know it's only pre-season but I'm liking the way Blashill is running things. I've been looking for a younger tougher version of my Red Wings for a few years now. Got real tired of seeing them dump cash on guys who are just looking for a retirement fund. They need to be faster and MORE PHYSICAL. Spending millions on a guy then letting him get banged around by some goon from the Yellow Snow, Canada Rec league is just stupid. Really hoping Blashill is more like Bowman and less like Babcock. If somebody's gonna hit you, hit him back hard enough to make him wonder why he ever had the idea in the first place. :bat

The Rangers are put together solid. I'd say the east is definitely the stronger of the 2 conferences. They just seem to beat hell out of each other getting to the finals. I just want to see the RW get away from the Babcock mentality and put some youth and energy back on the ice. Hate seeing the great ones get old and start fading, trying to get one more season in.

A somewhat inevitable turn of events - Blackhawks' Bryan Bickell has been put on waivers. He's been one of the faces of the team in the last few years and one of my best memories of him was scoring against the Bruins, in game 6, in 2013, to put the Hawks up 3-2 and give them the Stanley Cup. But, he had 14 goals in 80 games last year and 0 goals in 18 postseason games alongside some medical concerns.

A somewhat inevitable turn of events - Blackhawks' Bryan Bickell has been put on waivers. He's been one of the faces of the team in the last few years and one of my best memories of him was scoring against the Bruins, in game 6, in 2013, to put the Hawks up 3-2 and give them the Stanley Cup. But, he had 14 goals in 80 games last year and 0 goals in 18 postseason games alongside some medical concerns.

that always sucks...

Always hard to see the tough guys begin to break down, but I hate him. Bickell could always put just enough in the net to keep him over the line from being a pure goon, but.. I hate him. I know it seems like a purely emotional reaction due to past bad experiences against my Wings, and that's probably true but I still hate him. I sometimes wonder if the woman in Buffalo dropped her case due to fears that at any moment Bickell would come flying in out of nowhere and kick the crap outta her, just like he did to anyone who messed with Kane on the ice. That might not be a bad thing, but I'm gonna stick with the feeling that I hate him. Hope he can overcome all his challenges, like my respectful hate for him, and find further success. :cheers

I think they're trying to send a message, because this isn't 41 games worthy...

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2015/10/05/nhl-drops-hammer-suspends-torres-for-41-games/

Not sure where the middle ground is on this. Deliberately targeting the head will get somebody killed or crippled. You don't want to see guys end their career from a dirty hit. In that sense, yes you need to send a message that gets through to the teammates/club of the offender. They're the ones who have to be saying " We don't play this way". I always loved the way the NHL players policed themselves, whether that was through enforcers or shunning.

On the other hand, the NHL is NOT a "No check" league. If you take the ice and don't have your head on a swivel you are an idiot and a casualty waiting to happen. Guys playing now have such a wide range of sizes you're going to get bad results when mismatches meet. Chara (BOS) is 6'9" 250lbs, how does he check a Zucharello(NYR) at 5'7" 180lbs that doesn't look like a head hunting murder attempt? :dunno

I don't know the answer I just hope something gets figured out before the bedwetters start screaming for criminal charges again.