**** Official Hockey Thread **** (NHL & College)

walksalone

FOX Sports Live ‏@FOXSportsLive 4m

BREAKING: The @StLouisBlues announce they've signed center Paul Stastny to a four-year deal.

I still haven't stopped throwing up

Why so walks? I thought this is great sign. Bringing stastny back home is a great thing for the blues. We need lots of offensive help.

Because we lost Statsny.

Iginla, Briere, and Stuart do not equal one Statsny...

If you said Iginla from 10 years ago, I'd be all in, but the old Iginla, not so much...

I got a chuckle out of this:

Avi:

If you were inserted as a goalie for an NHL team for an entire season, what kind of save percentage would you have? Assume your teammates don't slit your neck kicking you in the face out of frustration. I'd say .600 is possible. Between shots you can see, and just happening to be a fat American standing in front of a relatively small goal, you could stop more shots than got past you.

I don't think so. Every time I watch a hockey game, the goalie makes 10 to 30 saves that are completely insane. Those saves are a matter of routine to Martin Brodeur, but you and I would have no chance of making them. Yeah, you might be able to block a bad shot simply by standing there and letting it hit your face, but eventually players on the other team would notice your weakness(es) and exploit them fully. Your save percentage would drop every game until, by the end, you were allowing 75 goals per contest.

If you were inserted as a goalie for an NHL team for an entire season, what kind of save percentage would you have? Assume your teammates don't slit your neck kicking you in the face out of frustration. I'd say .600 is possible. Between shots you can see, and just happening to be a fat American standing in front of a relatively small goal, you could stop more shots than got past you.

And that's not even considering the mental drain. There is a hard rubber puck coming at you at all times. Padding or not, that is terrifying. I would crack. I would curl up into a ball and just lay in front of the net, accepting my abuse. FACT: NHL goalie is a harder job than CEO.

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/dont-cut-your-hamburgers-in-half-1608858776

I got a chuckle out of this:

Avi:

I don't think so. Every time I watch a hockey game, the goalie makes 10 to 30 saves that are completely insane. Those saves are a matter of routine to Martin Brodeur, but you and I would have no chance of making them. Yeah, you might be able to block a bad shot simply by standing there and letting it hit your face, but eventually players on the other team would notice your weakness(es) and exploit them fully. Your save percentage would drop every game until, by the end, you were allowing 75 goals per contest.

And that's not even considering the mental drain. There is a hard rubber puck coming at you at all times. Padding or not, that is terrifying. I would crack. I would curl up into a ball and just lay in front of the net, accepting my abuse. FACT: NHL goalie is a harder job than CEO.

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/dont-cut-your-hamburgers-in-half-1608858776

That was pretty damn funny