Radio Tidbits today 013113

On my drive to and from work today the theme seemed to be recruiting heavy. Some of it was insightful and interesting.

Damon Benning and Gary Sharp talked to Mike Stick whose son Easton goes to Creighton Prep and went to the Nebraska Junior Day last Saturday: http://stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=111&c=981&f=1032621

Stick said parents also got to spend time with Coach Pelini at Junior Day. They got to see the training facilities and learn about the academics. They had also been to All-American combine in San Antonio at beginning of month. Agreed with Sharp that Nebraska players behind because no spring football. In spring coaches have opportunity to go to Texas, Florida, etc to watch and evaluate players in spring ball. He agreed with Benning who said a player in Nebraska has to be much better than the competition because you can't control the talent level. Sharp concluded thinking that he thinks there could be four Nebraska kids in the 2014 recruiting class. Maybe more.

Dave Bartoo of CFB Matrix was on Unsportsmanlike Conduct:http:// http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=111&c=991&f=1036761

Among Bartoo's insights : that Nebraska has less recruiting attrition than many teams. He pointed out that in all Div 1 of all players that signed an LOI only 36.1 % were on that same team roster this season. He currently has Nebraska at 15 and third in Big 10. Nebraska and many Big 10 schools are recruiting above their normal composite which shows more talent will be coming into the League. Nebraska tipping point this season having 11 players from 2008 class which gave valuable experience. Iowa, Miami, Boston College having really poor recruiting. He will have projections for next season before spring ball.

Among Bartoo's insights : that Nebraska has less recruiting attrition than many teams. He pointed out that in all Div 1 of all players that signed an LOI only 36.1 % were on that same team roster this season. He currently has Nebraska at 15 and third in Big 10. Nebraska and many Big 10 schools are recruiting above their normal composite which shows more talent will be coming into the League. Nebraska tipping point this season having 11 players from 2008 class which gave valuable experience. Iowa, Miami, Boston College having really poor recruiting. He will have projections for next season before spring ball.

Maybe its the Mike's Hard Fruit Punch, but I have a hard time believing that only 36.1% of the players we sign in the 2013 class will be on the team in 2014. That number seems awfully inflated. Is Buffalo or Idaho or similar program losing their whole recruiting classes on a yearly basis?

Maybe its the Mike's Hard Fruit Punch, but I have a hard time believing that only 36.1% of the players we sign in the 2013 class will be on the team in 2014. That number seems awfully inflated. Is Buffalo or Idaho or similar program losing their whole recruiting classes on a yearly basis?

I'm no recruitnik, so only wondering/guessing, but could that low percentage at least partially be a result of teams (particularly in the SEC) oversigning so much? When you oversign, you can't possibly keep everyone on the roster.

Don't you mean the numbers seem awfully low? Not inflated. Maybe that's what you mean. If we only had 36% of the 2012 class around in 2014,he'll 2013, we wouldn't be able to field a defense

Don't you mean the numbers seem awfully low? Not inflated. Maybe that's what you mean. If we only had 36% of the 2012 class around in 2014,he'll 2013, we wouldn't be able to field a defense

Yep. Thats what I meant. :waste

We have lost a lot from our 2011 class I don't think we are anywhere close to 65 % thou. I don't think we are close to half.

This just makes it even funnier when people say we have a problem.

36% is not the NU ave, he said that is the national Ave. NU is 15th best in the nation in recruiting class attrition rate according to his numbers, so NU would obviously be much higher than a 64% attrition rate. I have to wonder at his numbers, is that one year later, two years, or how many make it to the draft/graduation? Seems too high just to be the average attrition from how signed a LOI and who actually makes it on campus that year.

We have lost a lot from our 2011 class I don't think we are anywhere close to 65 % thou. I don't think we are close to half.

36% is not the NU ave, he said that is the national Ave. NU is 15th best in the nation in recruiting class attrition rate according to his numbers, so NU would obviously be much higher than a 64% attrition rate. I have to wonder at his numbers, is that one year later, two years, or how many make it to the draft/graduation? Seems too high just to be the average attrition from how signed a LOI and who actually makes it on campus that year.

We have the 15th ranked recruiting class accoriding to this guy at cfbmatrix.com is what hes saying. He basicially does the same thing as 247 composite rankings. Its a good website to explore as well.

I was just saying this as a statement not disputing him. Alot of people complain that we lose alot of players, and thats hardley accurate. I was pointing out that our worst attrition class under Bo is 2011 and we have way more than the national average of 36% left way over 50% left actually. And yet people still piss and moan when a player leaves, even thou its alot worse everywhere else. In fact we are one of the best.

I was thinking about contacting Brandon Vogel the writer for Hail Varsity, i went to HS with him and he is good with statistics like these. I want to see if he could figure out the top and bottom attrition rate schools over the last 5 years. I bet we are in the top 10 for lowest attrition.

We have the 15th ranked recruiting class accoriding to this guy at cfbmatrix.com is what hes saying. He basicially does the same thing as 247 composite rankings. Its a good website to explore as well.

I was just saying this as a statement not disputing him. Alot of people complain that we lose alot of players, and thats hardley accurate. I was pointing out that our worst attrition class under Bo is 2011 and we have way more than the national average of 36% left way over 50% left actually. And yet people still piss and moan when a player leaves, even thou its alot worse everywhere else. In fact we are one of the best.

I was thinking about contacting Brandon Vogel the writer for Hail Varsity, i went to HS with him and he is good with statistics like these. I want to see if he could figure out the top and bottom attrition rate schools over the last 5 years. I bet we are in the top 10 for lowest attrition.

Some interesting numbers:

Mich St- 35

Wisky- 38

KU - 45

KSt- 51

Mia- t49

Arky-t49

Okay I got an email from Dave Bartoo with some clarification. He said that 1605 players signed Letters of Intent in 2010. He said in 2012 only 1037 were still on those respective team rosters. That is a 35.4% attrition rate. I misunderstood him when he was on the radio. Plus he realized his slight error with the numbers after he got off the air. He also said that most attrition occurs in years one and two. Makes sense.

Okay I got an email from Dave Bartoo with some clarification. He said that 1605 players signed Letters of Intent in 2010. He said in 2012 only 1037 were still on those respective team rosters. That is a 35.4% attrition rate. I misunderstood him when he was on the radio. Plus he realized his slight error with the numbers after he got off the air. He also said that most attrition occurs in years one and two. Makes sense.

Ok that makes more sense. That's probably on par with our 2011 class losses.

The attrition is expected. A school can only carry 85 scholarships, but can take 25 per class. That would be 125 in 5 years with redshirts. and even with not all players taking redshirts, its still going to be a number over 100. It does include everyone who is no longer on a team for any reason. Like for us when Ash graduated before finishing his eligibility, and seeing as he never saw the field, they pulled it at that point.