Head of Husker Recruiting Candidates

KickThePig

I've sat back and read this thread all the way, and I gotta ask why some of you think that just because we hire some mumbo jumbo name to make a few phone call and send some text messages on top of the general recruiting that is already done that some young star will choose Nebraska over anyone else? If I'm a star athlete being recruited by numerous top programs, why would I choose Nebraska over any others just becuase I got some texts and soem calls from a John Gruden or Chris Speilman, when they have nothing to do with the coaching of the team. Recruits are and always will be more concerned with the connection to the actual coaches. Maybe I'm being ticky tacky on the topic, but I think that with some of the outrageious names being thrown around, some of you are completely missing the point and purpose of what this position is really going to be about. In fact, I cant even define it myself.

Why was the Steele hire by Bama for such a position tops? Because it's Saban and Bama and they never do wrong? I dont get it. How do we claim to know so much about something that has NEVER been done in the history of college football?

• Fire 1

I've sat back and read this thread all the way, and I gotta ask why some of you think that just because we hire some mumbo jumbo name to make a few phone call and send some text messages on top of the general recruiting that is already done that some young star will choose Nebraska over anyone else? If I'm a star athlete being recruited by numerous top programs, why would I choose Nebraska over any others just becuase I got some texts and soem calls from a John Gruden or Chris Speilman, when they have nothing to do with the coaching of the team. Recruits are and always will be more concerned with the connection to the actual coaches. Maybe I'm being ticky tacky on the topic, but I think that with some of the outrageious names being thrown around, some of you are completely missing the point and purpose of what this position is really going to be about. In fact, I cant even define it myself.

Why was the Steele hire by Bama for such a position tops? Because it's Saban and Bama and they never do wrong? I dont get it. How do we claim to know so much about something that has NEVER been done in the history of college football?

IMO it's just not the guy reaching out, it's about the guy being a good salesman & personable. Steele is a good recruiter with lots of connections who has been all over. He knows what it takes. He knows talent. I liked what he did here at Nebraska. I think Zook is similar I mentioned Spielman's name just because I think he would be a good Lb coach and has a name in Ohio so I think there would be a lot of open doors for him. Els would be the guy that would be leading the recruiting team. Spielman would be coaching & do actual recruiting. I have no idea if he could coach or not. Don't even know if he has any experience. I just think he would be good at it. I agree that Spielman probably would never coach at Nebraska, and I have NO idea what the new positions would entail but this is a message board and has little to do with reality. :D Just shooting bullcrap around the ol' watercooler, waiting for the spring game.

I think I read somewhere that the new recruiting coordinator (and staff) would only be able to set up official visits, and interact with recruits while on campus. It appears that it just removes the coordination, communication, scouting, and other time consuming stuff off the coach. (Oh, all that plus it creates the new (multiple) position(s) of Graduate Assistant in Charge of Tweets. LOL.)

In-home visits would still need to be done by coaching staff. If that is true, then maybe not a whole lot changes when it comes to getting a kid to commit and sign, because building the bond with the recruit and getting the LOI signed still falls to the position coach, and the rest of the coaches and HC.

So while a big name might help in getting recruits on campus, proven connection to the HS and JC coaching ranks might be more important.

I see your point, but look at it as if you were an 18yr old kid. Having a guy like Roger Craig walk into your home & tell you how much he loved attending the University & how they got him ready to play at the next level will have an effect on just about anybody. You are right about these kids making bonds with the coaches, but nothing says the coach can't go with him on these trips or send a couple of texts or make a phone call. The person you hire could also act as a mentor to these kids. Nothing in the rule book says they can't keep in contact after they sign there letter & become a Husker.

I think I read somewhere that the new recruiting coordinator (and staff) would only be able to set up official visits, and interact with recruits while on campus. It appears that it just removes the coordination, communication, scouting, and other time consuming stuff off the coach. (Oh, all that plus it creates the new (multiple) position(s) of Graduate Assistant in Charge of Tweets. LOL.)

In-home visits would still need to be done by coaching staff. If that is true, then maybe not a whole lot changes when it comes to getting a kid to commit and sign, because building the bond with the recruit and getting the LOI signed still falls to the position coach, and the rest of the coaches and HC.

So while a big name might help in getting recruits on campus, proven connection to the HS and JC coaching ranks might be more important.

I thought I have read they will be able to do everything the RC can do as well as have unlimited contact via phone or social media.

I see your point, but look at it as if you were an 18yr old kid. Having a guy like Roger Craig walk into your home & tell you how much he loved attending the University & how they got him ready to play at the next level will have an effect on just about anybody. You are right about these kids making bonds with the coaches, but nothing says the coach can't go with him on these trips or send a couple of texts or make a phone call. The person you hire could also act as a mentor to these kids. Nothing in the rule book says they can't keep in contact after they sign there letter & become a Husker.

Correct and if you talk to a lot of guys its people like Jamrog that are behind the scenes that make a big difference. Back when the RC was a staff position Steve Pedyshine was one of the best in the business at selling Nebraska. Its why TO thought he'd be a good AD. The coach can't always be there but sometimes a middle man is the best person to smooth over egos, hurt feelings and issues. It puts a buffer there to soften the message both ways.

Sounds like from the grand plan if the rules hold Nebraska will probably add 4-6 staffers on campus and then try to contract out some scouting. I hope its not like the ducks type of "contract" for scouts and I have every reason to think that it will be on the up and up. More or less someone local to beat the bushes. Names I've heard for on campus include Damon Benning, Tim Cassidey, Dan Mclaughlin, and Dave Remmigton (but I don't think the last one is all that serious or likely). I could see us making a run at someone like Chris Kiffin since he was here under Bo before but I don't know what the relationship was like and I think he'd like to be a field coach and head coach some day. We need to find guys who like the admin side of things and there are many of them out there. I think the first two mentioned are the most likely to be approached if and when we do make the move toward things.

Correct and if you talk to a lot of guys its people like Jamrog that are behind the scenes that make a big difference. Back when the RC was a staff position Steve Pedyshine was one of the best in the business at selling Nebraska. Its why TO thought he'd be a good AD. The coach can't always be there but sometimes a middle man is the best person to smooth over egos, hurt feelings and issues. It puts a buffer there to soften the message both ways.

Sounds like from the grand plan if the rules hold Nebraska will probably add 4-6 staffers on campus and then try to contract out some scouting. I hope its not like the ducks type of "contract" for scouts and I have every reason to think that it will be on the up and up. More or less someone local to beat the bushes. Names I've heard for on campus include Damon Benning, Tim Cassidey, Dan Mclaughlin, and Dave Remmigton (but I don't think the last one is all that serious or likely). I could see us making a run at someone like Chris Kiffin since he was here under Bo before but I don't know what the relationship was like and I think he'd like to be a field coach and head coach some day. We need to find guys who like the admin side of things and there are many of them out there. I think the first two mentioned are the most likely to be approached if and when we do make the move toward things.

I always thought that we would see Damon Benning in the program in some shape or form one day. I think he would be a great fixture on the recruiting staff. He can just relate to kids better than alot of people, and he understands what Nebraska is all about. As far as Remmington goes, I thought he was still heavily involved in the Boomer Easison foundation.

Chris Kiffin would be the homerun hire for the recruiting staff, but it would probably take a nice chunk of change to sway him from Ole Miss.

I always thought that we would see Damon Benning in the program in some shape or form one day. I think he would be a great fixture on the recruiting staff. He can just relate to kids better than alot of people, and he understands what Nebraska is all about. As far as Remmington goes, I thought he was still heavily involved in the Boomer Easison foundation.

Chris Kiffin would be the homerun hire for the recruiting staff, but it would probably take a nice chunk of change to sway him from Ole Miss.

Ole Miss? Good grief, they gotta be bout broke by now, dont they?

As you know, From 1989 to 1994, Steele coached the linebackers and during his time in Lincoln, the Cornhuskers went 60-11, appeared in six bowl games, won four conference championships and captured the 1994 national championship with a 13-0 record. He coached Butkus winner Trev Alberts during that time. I believe he was the recruiting cooridinator at that time too, except I think the position was eliminated by the reduction mandated by the NCAA in coaching staff. Could be wrong.

I think some of you are interpretting my post as a slam on Kevin Steels resume and abilities. It's not. My comments are just an opinion I have that many are just over-analyzing what this position is actually going to be about. Kevin Steel is very good at what he does. However, he is not going to sell Bama or Saban anymore then those two already do on their own. I see it as being more of a manager of the recruiting processes than a salesman of the program.