Danica will lead the field to the green flag next weekend.

I have followed nascar most of my life and I find this a little convenient as nascar popularity dwindles.

lol @ nascar popularity "dwindling"

sadly, nascar is bigger than ever

Are you basing that on the empty tracks (attendance), falling TV ratings or reduction in big sponsorship $'s?

Nascar is f'ing huge. I'm not going to categorize a small downturn in $$$ and attendance during a recession as "popularity dwindling"

I have followed nascar most of my life and I find this a little convenient as nascar popularity dwindles.

Actually it's not... Ticket sales have been rather unimpressive for the last few years and I'm guessing viewership is similar. I'm one of those who is falling out with it. It's become too much like pro wrestling for my tastes. I'd rather watch F1, GT/touring cars or whatever the ALMS is called now. NASCAR may still be the most popular spectator sport in America but it's not what it once was.

NASCAR needs to be very careful. F1 is now putting a watchable product on TV and it is catching in on in America. F1 has a chance of dethrowning NASCAR and putting a death punch to Indycar.

I love racing and NASCAR has become boring. F1, AMA Supercross and NHRA are the only racing I enjoy watching anymore. I'm hopeful that ASCS sprint cars catch on.

F1 has about as much chance to overtake NASCAR in America as Major League Soccer does over the NFL. You are talking about a sport that has one race, zero drivers and zero teams from the US. I wholeheartedly agree NASCAR is down, never thought I would see the day when Bristol was half empty, but no way in hell F1 will ever come close in popularity. You can't even find the races on basic cable no less.

As far as Danica is concerned, if you consider drivers "athletes" then there has probably never been a more overhyped athlete in the history of sports then Danica for what she has accomplished (one rain called Indy win). She always gets the top equipment and best sponsorship and has little to show for it. Her Nationwide run last season was unimpressive to say the least and now she is getting thrown into the Cup because she is Danica. She actually ran pretty good at the plate tracks last year but most of that was single file. If they can get back to three or four wide this year in the 500, I would not want to be anywhere near her.

F1 doesn't need the US they have the world. But they manage to piss them off too the past few decades.

It's more than a small downturn tschu, they aren't even filling have the seats at major races these days. They peaked just before the recession and I think that has had an even bigger impact on them now. I think they over saturated their market as well and you can see evidence of that in them expanding internationally and a half hearted effort to expand ethnically.

Actually it's not... Ticket sales have been rather unimpressive for the last few years and I'm guessing viewership is similar. I'm one of those who is falling out with it. It's become too much like pro wrestling for my tastes. I'd rather watch F1, GT/touring cars or whatever the ALMS is called now. NASCAR may still be the most popular spectator sport in America but it's not what it once was.

NASCAR needs to be very careful. F1 is now putting a watchable product on TV and it is catching in on in America. F1 has a chance of dethrowning NASCAR and putting a death punch to Indycar.

I love racing and NASCAR has become boring. F1, AMA Supercross and NHRA are the only racing I enjoy watching anymore. I'm hopeful that ASCS sprint cars catch on.

F1 has about as much chance to overtake NASCAR in America as Major League Soccer does over the NFL. You are talking about a sport that has one race, zero drivers and zero teams from the US. I wholeheartedly agree NASCAR is down, never thought I would see the day when Bristol was half empty, but no way in hell F1 will ever come close in popularity. You can't even find the races on basic cable no less.

I think you make valid points. 'Speed' is basic cable, but they just lost the contract in the fall.

http://www.racer.com/formula-1-lands-four-year-deal-with-nbc/article/263645/

F1 doesn't need the US they have the world. But they manage to piss them off too the past few decades.

It's more than a small downturn tschu, they aren't even filling have the seats at major races these days. They peaked just before the recession and I think that has had an even bigger impact on them now. I think they over saturated their market as well and you can see evidence of that in them expanding internationally and a half hearted effort to expand ethnically.

Oversaturation, could be. But I think the recession probably hit Nascar fans in general harder than fans of any other sport, if you get what I'm saying.

Nascar is f'ing huge. I'm not going to categorize a small downturn in $$$ and attendance during a recession as "popularity dwindling"

'You' can call it whatever you want. NASCAR has a problem and they know it. There are only 6-8 cars that can win....some argue it is really less than 5. There is no passing. You beg for a 'debris caution' so you can see racing. I bet you will start seeing some unsponsored cars by the end of the season...my guess (Stenhouse/Newman).

It you still want to argue about something you know very little about, I think this link is a pretty good insight into the multiple issues NASCAR has.

I think you make valid points. 'Speed' is basic cable, but they just lost the contract in the fall.

http://www.racer.com...article/263645/

Speed wasn't even on basic cable in Lincoln on TWC the last time I had it. You have to upgrade to the digital tier to get it, although I guess most people probably do that now. Otherwise, ESPN, 2, and the regional FSN were the only 3 sports networks on basic in Lincoln, but as you said it will be over on the old Versus network now.

Since we bring this up, I think this is one of the things hurting NASCAR as well as other sports like CFB. Way too much programming is being diverted to cable entities like ESPN. I think the chase only had two over the air broadcasts? People are not going to races because this economy sucks. Guess what, a lot of people aren't paying for cable/sat either. That hurts rating when you don't even have a choice to watch it. Even more amazing is when you flip it over to a network station when a race in on cable and see they have either an old movie or infomercial on.

'You' can call it whatever you want. NASCAR has a problem and they know it. There are only 6-8 cars that can win....some argue it is really less than 5. There is no passing. You beg for a 'debris caution' so you can see racing. I bet you will start seeing some unsponsored cars by the end of the season...my guess (Stenhouse/Newman).

It you still want to argue about something you know very little about, I think this link is a pretty good insight into the multiple issues NASCAR has.

http://www.jayski.com/stats/statsmenu.htm

Records Set In Lead Changes And Leaders Per Race in 2011: Tony Stewart won the title in the most statistically-competitive season in the 63-year history of the Sprint Cup Series. Two major NASCAR Sprint Cup competition records were broken this past season: average lead changes and leaders per race. There was an average of 27.1 lead changes per race in 2011, the most in the history of Sprint Cup competition. Additionally, there was an average of 12.8 leaders per event, also the highest average since the series' inaugural year of 1949. For the second consecutive season, the record books were rewritten. The previous record-highs in both statistics were set in 2010, when there were averages of 25.4 lead changes and 11.4 leaders. In addition, there were 131,989 total green flag passes (an average of 3,666 per race), which is a series-high since NASCAR began tabulating passing numbers in 2005. From green flag to checkered, races during the 2011 unfurled in a tight, unpredictable manner. Averaging a margin of victory of 1.321, a record 23 races featured an MOV under one second. That's the most since the inception of timing and scoring in 1993.

Funny you could make a statement like that telling him he knows very little about it when you know even less yourself. I'd recommend bowing out for the evening if I were you. But if you want to keep discussing, the biggest problem with NASCAR today is the lack of personalities. First off I will admit that I am a big #24 fan but when Gordon is the badass in NASCAR, something is wrong, everyone is becoming too plastic, too corporate. NASCAR needs rivalries. As much as I hate them, NASCAR needs more Busch brothers. I thought maybe at one time Tony was going to take Dale Senior's role but he has become just another driver driving for a sponsor too. If you want to blame anyone for NASCAR's demise, blame Jimmie because everyone want to be him now, Mr Vanilla. Of course Junebug sucking it big time doesn't help either.

I better stop before I completely neck out.

Speed wasn't even on basic cable in Lincoln on TWC the last time I had it. You have to upgrade to the digital tier to get it, although I guess most people probably do that now. Otherwise, ESPN, 2, and the regional FSN were the only 3 sports networks on basic in Lincoln, but as you said it will be over on the old Versus network now.

Since we bring this up, I think this is one of the things hurting NASCAR as well as other sports like CFB. Way too much programming is being diverted to cable entities like ESPN. I think the chase only had two over the air broadcasts? People are not going to races because this economy sucks. Guess what, a lot of people aren't paying for cable/sat either. That hurts rating when you don't even have a choice to watch it. Even more amazing is when you flip it over to a network station when a race in on cable and see they have either an old movie or infomercial on.

Terrible marketing blunder to have three different carriers broadcast the races as the season progresses. Making (fans?) search through channels is a self-inflicted wound.

Terrible marketing blunder to have three different carriers broadcast the races as the season progresses. Making (fans?) search through channels is a self-inflicted wound.

The FOX portion is good and I didn't mind the ABC/ESPN sharing the second half but now ESPN has almost all of it and the real disaster is the summer when they throw it on TNT. I guarantee the casual channel flipper never finds it on there.

http://www.jayski.co...s/statsmenu.htm

Records Set In Lead Changes And Leaders Per Race in 2011: Tony Stewart won the title in the most statistically-competitive season in the 63-year history of the Sprint Cup Series. Two major NASCAR Sprint Cup competition records were broken this past season: average lead changes and leaders per race. There was an average of 27.1 lead changes per race in 2011, the most in the history of Sprint Cup competition. Additionally, there was an average of 12.8 leaders per event, also the highest average since the series' inaugural year of 1949. For the second consecutive season, the record books were rewritten. The previous record-highs in both statistics were set in 2010, when there were averages of 25.4 lead changes and 11.4 leaders. In addition, there were 131,989 total green flag passes (an average of 3,666 per race), which is a series-high since NASCAR began tabulating passing numbers in 2005. From green flag to checkered, races during the 2011 unfurled in a tight, unpredictable manner. Averaging a margin of victory of 1.321, a record 23 races featured an MOV under one second. That's the most since the inception of timing and scoring in 1993.

Funny you could make a statement like that telling him he knows very little about it when you know even less yourself. I'd recommend bowing out for the evening if I were you. But if you want to keep discussing, the biggest problem with NASCAR today is the lack of personalities. First off I will admit that I am a big #24 fan but when Gordon is the badass in NASCAR, something is wrong, everyone is becoming too plastic, too corporate. NASCAR needs rivalries. As much as I hate them, NASCAR needs more Busch brothers. I thought maybe at one time Tony was going to take Dale Senior's role but he has become just another driver driving for a sponsor too. If you want to blame anyone for NASCAR's demise, blame Jimmie because everyone want to be him now, Mr Vanilla. Of course Junebug sucking it big time doesn't help either.

That is strong using 2011. anyway.....

3 drivers won 42% of the races in 2012. There were less cautions than any over the last 5 years (which already alluded to). Go ahead and ignore the 1358 cautions in 2011(cautions equal lead changes). Cautions force strategy and also bunch the pack up. That's why races like Michigan are usually horrid. Michigan rarely has cautions. I predict a rough year with new cars for everyone. I see Hendrick or Gibbs cars putting a beating on everyone. Hendrick destroyed everyone when the COT cars came out 5-6 years ago.

Although unbelievably talented, Jimmy Johnson is a snore. Kurt Busch is among the most hated in all of sports. Tom Osborne is a better interview than Junebug.

NASCAR is praying big on Danica and kids like Darrell Wallace Jr. I believe they are also hoping that Travis Pastrana pans out.

3 drivers won 42% of the races in 2012. There were less cautions than any over the last 5 years (which already alluded to). Cautions force strategy and also bunch the pack up. That's why races like Michigan are usually horrid. Michigan rarely has cautions.

Although unbelievably talented, Jimmy Johnson is a snore. Kurt Busch is among the most hated in all of sports. Tom Osborne is a better interview than Junebug.

NASCAR is praying big on Danica and kids like Darrell Wallace Jr. I believe they are also hoping that Travis Pastrana pans out.

One driver won 39% races himself in 1998. The number of cautions is a meaningless stat. It's all about when the caution is and last year had plenty of "well timed" cautions at the end of the race that bunched everyone up. I know, it cost my guy a couple of wins at least.

Junebug is a terrible interview but that's why people love him, he is just another dude out there. It's just too bad for the sport he can't win anymore. I agree on Danica, they are going to play her up as much as humanly possible which is why people hate her. Let her actually accomplish something first before giving her all the attention. I also guarantee she got the best engine from HMS for qualifying and her team did more work then anyone on the qualifying setup because they knew the publicity she could get for winning the pole. The other teams are much more worried about the race.

I can't believe we have actually have a NASCAR thread going! :lol:

3 drivers won 42% of the races in 2012. There were less cautions than any over the last 5 years (which already alluded to). Cautions force strategy and also bunch the pack up. That's why races like Michigan are usually horrid. Michigan rarely has cautions.

One driver won 39% races himself in 1998. The number of cautions is a meaningless stat. It's all about when the caution is and last year had plenty of "well timed" cautions at the end of the race that bunched everyone up. I know, it cost my guy a couple of wins at least.

Junebug is a terrible interview but that's why people love him, he is just another dude out there. It's just too bad for the sport he can't win anymore. I agree on Danica, they are going to play her up as much as humanly possible which is why people hate her. Let her actually accomplish something first before giving her all the attention. I also guarantee she got the best engine from HMS for qualifying and her team did most work then anyone on the qualifying setup because they knew the publicity she could get for winning the pole. The other teams are much more worried about the race.

I can't believe we have actually have a NASCAR thread going! :lol:

1998..wow? We going to have a weekly Neckcar debate?