'97 game

kramer

Well hell lets throw it out there. NU would have been anywhere from a 7-10 point favorite. NU throughly destroyed #3 Tenneesse, with Peyton Manning, while Michigan squeaked out a 22-16, that came down to the last play, win over #9 Wash. with draft bust Ryan Leaf.

Final score

NU 31

UM 21

Okay, this is against my better judgement (I had a short, good spritited rant concerning letting this yr. go on another thrread), I can't pass this opportunity up...

I tink the '97 team definately "peaked" at the right time....In addition, no matter who they played in the bowl game, this team was not going to lose !!!!!

They were a very good team, and they were playing for approx. 3 decades of Husker football.... This team was as focused as I have ever seen a team... TO was going to win his last game.....FINAL....

Michigan had a very good team, and I admire their program, but in that game, they would have been beaten soundly..... maybe not because of less talent, because that wasn't the case, but because of heart, desire, and focus....

If NU's defense shut down Manning and Co., they would have really shut down Greise and the gang...... Furhtermore, Tennessee's defense was one of the best in the country (ton of NFL guys), and NU made them quit by the middle of the 3rd quarter.....

NU = 35

Michigan = 17

Undisputed National Champs

* No disrespect to the Woolverines.....

Okay, this is against my better judgement (I had a short, good spritited rant concerning letting this yr. go on another thrread), I can't pass this opportunity up...

I tink the '97 team definately "peaked" at the right time....In addition, no matter who they played in the bowl game, this team was not going to lose !!!!!

They were a very good team, and they were playing for approx. 3 decades of Husker football.... This team was as focused as I have ever seen a team... TO was going to win his last game.....FINAL....

Michigan had a very good team, and I admire their program, but in that game, they would have been beaten soundly..... maybe not because of less talent, because that wasn't the case, but because of heart, desire, and focus....

If NU's defense shut down Manning and Co., they would have really shut down Greise and the gang...... Furhtermore, Tennessee's defense was one of the best in the country (ton of NFL guys), and NU made them quit by the middle of the 3rd quarter.....

NU = 35

Michigan = 17

I think "peak is the right word. There was agame or two that would have made you question NU, but they were rolling near then end, rushing over, through and around teams. To win your conference championship game 54-13, or something, and then against the number 3 team in the nation, 42-17, tough to pick against NU

Two words-Charles Woodson.

Fuhlmer, Manning and the rest of the cowards laid down in the 2nd half, still in a snit over a more deserving Woodson beating out Little Lord Fauntleroy Manning for the Heisman.

Michigan had a future NFL QB (Griese-with Brady in the wings if needed); and no less than 15 future NFL players on the team that season. The only reason NU was undefeated at all was a blown call by the officials in the Mizzou game.

Question-where did Coach Osborne vote Michigan in the coach's poll that year? Conventional wisdom had Fat Phil Fuhlmer voting Michigan #5, allowing NU to squeak out a few % point lead in the ESPN/USA Today/Coach's Poll. We can debate all day who had the better team that year-but c'mon...voting Michigan #5 was either a) vindictive or B) retarded.

Nice logic smakerony. :sarcasm Lets see if that receiver from Wazzou quits dancing around in the middle of the field and gets hits butt on the ground, wazzou would have had one play left. the way michigan was playing pass defense that drives leads me to believe ole charlie woodson would have been torched by leaf on the final play and we wouldn't be having this argument.

michigan fan you should enjoy it, cuz you aren't going to have one for a long time with lloyd carr as your head coach. outside of this year, ferentz has proved he's a better coach. tressel has carr's number so stupid its not funny. even randy walker's a better coach than carr, considering he gets more for less unlike carr who gets less with more.

Either way the Huskers will roll to a big bowl win and start the process of restoring the order!

GO BIG RED!!! :restore2

NU = 35

Michigan = 17

35 points? No disrespect? No offense, but you guys obviously didn't know much about Michigan's defense that year. We held Ohio State and Penn State that year to 14 points and 8 points.. and they were both in the top 5 when we played them. But Michigan would lose by 3 scores and give up 35 because Nebraska is so other-worldly good. :sarcasm Sometimes you guys are so biased.

Michigan had a future NFL QB (Griese-with Brady in the wings if needed); and no less than 15 future NFL players on the team that season. The only reason NU was undefeated at all was a blown call by the officials in the Mizzou game.

The Vols had quite a few go to the NFL as well. I am pretty sure Manning is doing pretty well in the NFL. But I guess if you compare him to Griese......... :woo I think Jamal Lewis has made a name for himself as well. If you want a list of the many others, I would be happy to give it to you.

Here we go, blaming the officials. You may file a grievance with the NCAA if you wish. NU slipped by Mizzou, like Michigan did Washington state. Or did Michigan just have a bad night? Sniffle, Sniffle

The only reason NU was undefeated at all was a blown call by the officials in the Mizzou game.

Here we go, blaming the officials. You may file a grievance with the NCAA if you wish. NU slipped by Mizzou, like Michigan did Washington state. Or did Michigan just have a bad night? Sniffle, Sniffle

I assume we're referring to the kicked ball at the end of regulation? Anyone who's officiated knows that the rule only applies to intentionally kicking a ball. The ball can ricochet off a foot and it isn't illegal. I have heard that Wiggins admitted he kicked the ball to keep it alive, but I have never read that anywhere. But even if it was on purpose, there's no way to tell that even in slow motion replay. In other words, no ref in his right mind would have ever made that call, especially in that situation. Calls that require the ref to make a judgement on the intent of the player usually have to be pretty blatantly obvious before the flag is thrown.

NU = 35

Michigan = 17

35 points? No disrespect? No offense, but you guys obviously didn't know much about Michigan's defense that year. We held Ohio State and Penn State that year to 14 points and 8 points.. and they were both in the top 5 when we played them. But Michigan would lose by 3 scores and give up 35 because Nebraska is so other-worldly good. :sarcasm Sometimes you guys are so biased.

Yeah, I'd say the 35 and 31 points predicted are a bit much...UM's D was stout that year. But the option was a beast at times and as said above NU was peaking at the right time. There's a reason for such a big spread from Vegas. Ibeleive it would have been 7. That from a Sports Illustrated article.

The option had the ability to wear you out, but in '97 Frost had to complete timely passes which was not always the case. That would have been the determinig factor.

This thread is comical. Michigan's defense that year rivaled any defense college football has seen since. And how dominant would they have been in that game if they had to worry about Scott Frost throwing downfield like a little girl? Our backers that year were Sam Sword (NFL), Dhani Jones (NFL), and Ian Gold (NFL), with Glen Steele (NFL) up front and Andre Weathers (NFL), Charles Woodson (NFL), and Marcus Ray (NFL) holding down the back. Now you're telling me Scott "I'm gonna get drafted to play Safety" Frost and Ahman "I hope I don't fumble" Green could throw up 30+ on that defense?

Laughable.

I've said it once and I'll say it a million times. The AP > Coaches anyday.