Can the B1G be respectable next year?

NUance

so you are telling me that players get more benefit out of a few mop-up reps against Idaho St. than going against our #1s in practice every day?

yes. for one they practice against their own defense so they know more. two they watch film of team not exactly like playing against them. you can't substitute a simulation for a real game.

Interesting. I respectfully disagree.

Any experience is helpful so game experience is good but I find it slightly amusing how many people think playing in games is some sort of "magic bullet" that will make players better. As I said, it helps. But 15-20 reps in a couple games pales to 60-70 reps every day all year long in practice.

Do you think that RKIII will be the #2 QB this year because he's played in some games while Armstrong hasn't?

so you are telling me that players get more benefit out of a few mop-up reps against Idaho St. than going against our #1s in practice every day?

yes. for one they practice against their own defense so they know more. two they watch film of team not exactly like playing against them. you can't substitute a simulation for a real game.

Interesting. I respectfully disagree.

Any experience is helpful so game experience is good but I find it slightly amusing how many people think playing in games is some sort of "magic bullet" that will make players better. As I said, it helps. But 15-20 reps in a couple games pales to 60-70 reps every day all year long in practice.

Do you think that RKIII will be the #2 QB this year because he's played in some games while Armstrong hasn't?

About the only thing I agree with Husker 99 on is that an actual game is different than a practice, and can be valuable experience. (for everyone on the team, not just backups). This also applies to a game against a MAC school, or a B1G school. The better your opponent is, the more you get out of it, so why dumb it down? If your goal is national championships, as ours should be, you shouldn't have to dumb down your schedule.

If you are good enough to start, then you get those game-time reps. If not, then you will have plenty of time and opportunity to get experience and show what you have in practice. I disagree with the idea that we NEED or are ENTITLED to a cupcake game. I think by scheduling crap teams you are cheating the team and fans more than you are helping backups.

When we are in the situation of having a game in hand, sometimes it is smart to play backups for game-time experience. It would be better to have that situation against good opponents, not FCS teams.

I have a hard time taking anyone serious that rather have their team play a FCS team than a FBS team. You want respect? You need to play and beat the best.

the FCS teams serve as tune up before the season.

We call that "Purdue."

Really? Judging from some of the past years, ND can barely beat them.

I have a hard time taking anyone serious that rather have their team play a FCS team than a FBS team. You want respect? You need to play and beat the best.

the FCS teams serve as tune up before the season.

We call that "Purdue."

Really? Judging from some of the past years, ND can barely beat them.

But we do beat them. Every other regular opponent has racked up wins above their historical average during our down years. They couldn't close the deal in 09 or 12. In 2000 Drew Brees was outpassed by our converted TE.

Back on topic, there's no reason to buy a D2 team when the MAC is in your backyard. There are plenty of nonAQ teams that would love to play in Lincoln and get paid for their bodybags.

Mailbag: On the Big Ten, the new FSU staff and Barkley's NFL stock

By Bruce Feldman | Senior College Football Columnist; March 1, 2013 3:01 pm ET

From @Purduefan61: Can the B1G be respectable next year?

With Urban Meyer and Brady Hoke running the conference's two traditional powerhouses, it's a good sign that things are trending up for the Big Ten. Ohio State is coming off a 12-0 season, returns a budding star in QB Braxton Miller and a lot of young talent for a team that should open in the preseason top 6.

Michigan has upgraded its D, has a capable dual-threat QB in Devin Gardner and arguably the nation's top RB coming in to fit Hoke's system in Derrick Green as the Wolverines look more comfy going forward. And as we've observed from the SEC going on this spectacular run of having won seven BCS titles in a row, a conference's worth is gauged by the heavyweights at the top more than anything else. It also doesn't help that the Big Ten has won only one Rose Bowl is the past dozen years with a record of 1-9 and 1-10 if you add in Nebraska's blowout loss to Miami.

But there are other encouraging signs in the Big Ten: Gary Andersen worked wonders at Utah State and should be a good fit for a strong Wisconsin program. Pat Fitzgerald has elevated Northwestern, and the Cats keep improving.

The downside: Iowa has lost its momentum. Nebraska has to replace almost its entire defense.

LINK

Respectable? Yes. On par with the SEC? Not yet.

Replacing our entire defense may be more of an upside than a downside.......