Article on Doc Sadler on KU's bench - Year 1

You guys need to chillax. Nothing I said was a personal attack against Doc. In regards to his coaching tenure at NU he could easily be called a Bum

No. You cant. That's not what he was. He was not even remotely close to being a bum. Imcompetent? Maybe. Yes, probably. But not bum.

What the hell is chillax?

Bum

1. A tramp; a vagrant.

2. A lazy or shiftless person, especially one who seeks to live solely by the support of others.

3. An incompetent, insignificant, or obnoxious person: The batter called the pitcher a bum.

4. One who is devoted to a particular activity or milieu: a beach bum.

Number 3 may be of interest to you....

I would bet everything I own against 10 bucks on your part that that #4 definition was NOT going through your head when you keyed "bum". Bum was a wrong choice of words and you know it.

You guys need to chillax. Nothing I said was a personal attack against Doc. In regards to his coaching tenure at NU he could easily be called a Bum

No. You cant. That's not what he was. He was not even remotely close to being a bum. Imcompetent? Maybe. Yes, probably. But not bum.

Bum

1. A tramp; a vagrant.

2. A lazy or shiftless person, especially one who seeks to live solely by the support of others.

3. An incompetent, insignificant, or obnoxious person: The batter called the pitcher a bum.

I would bet everything I own against 10 bucks on your part that that #4 definition was NOT going through your head when you keyed "bum". Bum was a wrong choice of words and you know it.

A great guy but absolutely terrible basketball coach. Is that better? I also don't see that as a fair bet...my 10 bucks against your 3 cans of baked beans and a cardboard box. :-P

Bum

1. A tramp; a vagrant.

A great guy but absolutely terrible basketball coach. Is that better? I also don't see that as a fair bet...my 10 bucks against your 3 cans of baked beans and a cardboard box. :-P

tumblr_lwdlmdPEOM1r5gvg1o1_500.gif

Sorry, but that is funny too!

Bum

1. A tramp; a vagrant.

3 cans of baked beans. Ha. What about my '92 geo hatchback and 6 pop pies?

You wanna take this to the 'shed?

As much as I've tried to see the commonality Hedley, I just dont see where youre getting this "Doc is a bum" thought at. I mean..........

bum_bum_bum_bum_bum.jpg

12+Basketball+Tournament+Quarterfinals+3rxB9Q4HsuUm.jpg

I just dont see it.

The expression on his face screams "I'm in over my head"

As a coach I don't see how you cannot consider him a bum. Did you see the roster we were stuck with this season? Zero depth....how many years was he here? In basketball I might argue the most important aspect of being competitive is roster management. Especially when trying to build a program.

We can both agree that Miles runs circles around Sadler in terms of recruiting and coaching right?

What about Collier? I would also say that Barry was a better recruiter than Sadler. In terms of coaching I would call it a wash.

When using the word bum I wasn't calling him a hobo or a terrible person. I was pointing to his time as the coach at NU. As was mentioned before he was incompetent. Lacked the ability to recruit solid contributors across the board. Did not bring in any of the local talent that is now starting for teams in the tourney or on the bubble.

I agreed with you that he is a great person. Doesn't mean he can't be criticized for his failures in his coaching stint at NU.

As much as I've tried to see the commonality Hedley, I just dont see where youre getting this "Doc is a bum" thought at. I mean..........

bum_bum_bum_bum_bum.jpg

12+Basketball+Tournament+Quarterfinals+3rxB9Q4HsuUm.jpg

I just dont see it.

The expression on his face screams "I'm in over my head"

As a coach I don't see how you cannot consider him a bum. Did you see the roster we were stuck with this season? Zero depth....how many years was he here? In basketball I might argue the most important aspect of being competitive is roster management. Especially when trying to build a program.

We can both agree that Miles runs circles around Sadler in terms of recruiting and coaching right?

What about Collier? I would also say that Barry was a better recruiter than Sadler. In terms of coaching I would call it a wash.

When using the word bum I wasn't calling him a hobo or a terrible person. I was pointing to his time as the coach at NU. As was mentioned before he was incompetent. Lacked the ability to recruit solid contributors across the board. Did not bring in any of the local talent that is now starting for teams in the tourney or on the bubble.

I agreed with you that he is a great person. Doesn't mean he can't be criticized for his failures in his coaching stint at NU.

I'm long past the seriousness of this discussion. It evolved into jokes and smartassery a long time ago. I know. I agreed with most of your comments in the first post. I just didnt like the bum part.

“If I do it, I want it to be in a situation where I have a legitimate opportunity to win basketball games, where things are important to people and they want to win,” Sadler said. “I see how much goes into it here. Obviously the players and the coaches do so much, but they also have a lot of support.”
In the meantime, Sadler is savoring the experiences he missed out on at Nebraska. His last trip to the NCAA Tournament came as the coach at UTEP in 2005, and he’s learned just how rare these opportunities can be.

This makes it sound like it was somehow NU's fault, and no fault of Doc at all. News Flash: We ALL wanted to get an invite to the Big Dance. Doc just didn't get it done for us.

“If I do it, I want it to be in a situation where I have a legitimate opportunity to win basketball games, where things are important to people and they want to win,” Sadler said. “I see how much goes into it here. Obviously the players and the coaches do so much, but they also have a lot of support.”
In the meantime, Sadler is savoring the experiences he missed out on at Nebraska. His last trip to the NCAA Tournament came as the coach at UTEP in 2005, and he’s learned just how rare these opportunities can be.

This makes it sound like it was somehow NU's fault, and no fault of Doc at all. News Flash: We ALL wanted to get an invite to the Big Dance. Doc just didn't get it done for us.

But in a way, he's right. Do you honestly think that prior to the last couple years with the new arena and facilities and such that Nebraska was putting enough into the basketball program to created that high-priority feel? I dont think so. We put it into football and volleyball. That's our bellcows. Kansas's is basketball. Now, we are obviously in the midst of trying to creat a more balanced list of priorities with the arena and practice facilities. Unfortunately for Doc, the wheels fell off a year before he could get a change to use them to his advantage.

Regardless, it's obvious that both parties are currently better off.

Doc wasn't offered the same things that Miles was or is. So it is not completely fair. But, Doc not even in his best seasons got the players here to reach their full potential and a little beyond that at times. Miles did this, and he is a very likable guy to all not just the older people or the more conservative people. This goes a long ways into building a program, you have to be able to adapt in any enviroment. As far as Doc as a coach he was definately not one I had a whole lot good to say about him after or even during the games. Miles on the otherhand it is really easy to support him SO Far.